Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MOD:
That's absolutely ENOUGH about politics, Twitter, Mr Musk and the world as each of us sees it. Productive entries long since have ended, at best what is being posted is re-hashing same, planting one's own flag, and other non-useful inputs. At worst...is much, much worse.

Endit.

did elon not consider the destruction of tmc as potential blowback from this operation?

Elon filed form 4 for 11/4 stock sale.

the first form 4 was for 11/4.

Elon (or else somebody very lucky) bought the huge number of December puts on 11/3 - 250K contracts

Edit: could this mean total sale will be 25 million shares?
Edit 2: I was wrong. Elon and others executives in Tesla are not allowed to trade Tesla derivatives
D76D8BF7-2468-4ED4-A8CF-17977988AB6F.jpeg

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion:

How is nobody talking about the timing of these sales? I know Elon is the last guy who cares about optics but man it sure feels like he knew the stock would pump during the Baron interview. Now we know why he took the redeye flight!

First time he sold right after the shareholder meeting after encouraging people to buy the dip
Second time he sells after saying Tesla could be bigger than Apple and Aramco combined.

I guess he had to sell but just don't do it when you have just come out of an interview where you eschewed the greatness of Tesla and potential market cap. Just call in sick for the Baron interview.

Just to be clear, I'm nobody to question his right to sell but come on man don't do it like this!

View attachment 872749
Elon has picked perhaps the worst time to sell. After he asked his team to torpedo q3 P&D, he ran around trying to pump the stock? The best time was prior to AI day and everyone knows it'll be a buy the news event. He had plenty of time to sell it in the 300s but had to wait until missing on earnings and p&d?. Anyways, I don't think there were any rhythm or reason and no 4d chess being played here. Hopefully he comes out and say the recent sale was not due to closing twitter but to keep twitter afloat because advertisers left.

Elon has picked perhaps the worst time to sell. After he asked his team to torpedo q3 P&D, he ran around trying to pump the stock? The best time was prior to AI day and everyone knows it'll be a buy the news event. He had plenty of time to sell it in the 300s but had to wait until missing on earnings and p&d?. Anyways, I don't think there were any rhythm or reason and no 4d chess being played here. Hopefully he comes out and say the recent sale was not due to closing twitter but to keep twitter afloat because advertisers left.
Twitter deal was still not done at AI day so he probably was not expecting to sell any more shares. This latest sale happened after the Twitter deal was completed.

I hope he does NOT say that this was to keep twitter afloat. It adds so much more uncertainty to the situation for everyone involved. That would mean the crooks on wall street will never let the stock go and create so much uncertainty and create FUD stories all the time.

How is that better? Keeping Twitter afloat could be endless.
With 4B and with Elon cutting cost, it'll keep Twitter afloat for years. It's not like Twitter is Lucid, and Lucid has less cash than 4B. Before the staff cut and after advertisers left, Elon calculates that twitter is losing about 1B a year. I can see this loss reduce dramatically within 6 months, so 4B should keep twitter afloat until they reach profitability.

the first form 4 was for 11/4.

Elon (or else somebody very lucky) bought the huge number of December puts on 11/3 - 250K contracts

Edit: could this mean total sale will be 25 million shares?

View attachment 872752
Elon (and other high level peeps) can't buy TSLA derivatives (options).
Check open interest tomorrow...

Twitter deal was still not done at AI day so he probably was not expecting to sell any more shares. This latest sale happened after the Twitter deal was completed.

I hope he does NOT say that this was to keep twitter afloat. It adds so much more uncertainty to the situation for everyone involved. That would mean the crooks on wall street will never let the stock go and create so much uncertainty and create FUD stories all the time.
Well, I'm under the assumption that Elon's plans in his head are earlier than what is reported.

Reactions: wipster and blckdmp
and now it will be hard to trust him that his sales are over since he said that last time

well technically it’s no longer to finance the deal. so that specific reason is not an issue of trust at this point. (edit - speculation is it’s for bridge loans and not cash burn at twitter. either way good probability it’s ttwitter related.)

a not so long time ago he wondered aloud if he should keep a low profile, subsequent to pointing out to twitterverse the attacks would be escalating.

it’s clear they have - and it’s clear he pivoted from that mentality too. long term prob not much an issue.

but…the simple truth is, it’s looking more and more likely that if he keeps up whatever it is he’s currently doing, twtr will end up costing him a lot more than 44b

it doesn’t seem like a first principles approach to efficient capital allocation. also doesn’t seem necessary. but hey, it’s not my money. and not my place to judge. just observing what’s happened

Last edited:
Elon does not need to cover Twitter losses ? Twitter had $3 billion cash on hand before the acquisition. It does not make sense for it to take on additional debt or equity so early after the acquisition which is how a cash infusion from Elon would have to be structured.

Maybe Elon took a personal loan as part of the acquisition
Gary feels the same way, and current sell was to cover the bridge loan to close twitter. He feels that selling is done.

IN MY MIND This was all Twitter, that's why Elon was selling. Is he done, what may he Tweet next? The hangover remains.
FTFY

Unless you have some way to corroborate that statement besides feelings.
Take ownership for your feelings, or, if stating fact, provide your references.

(Granted, it was likely the case, but you DON'T know with any demonstrable certainty, do you?)

well technically it’s no longer to finance the deal. so that specific reason is not an issue of trust at this point.

but he has to pay interest on the debt used for financing, plus they lost a bunch of revenue from the loss of short term ad revs, so 4b in tsla income should carry him a bit.

a not so long time ago he wondered aloud if he should keep a low profile, subsequent to pointing out to twitterverse the attacks would be escalating.

it’s clear they have - and it’s clear he pivoted from that mentality too

long term prob not much an issue.

but…the simple truth is, it’s looking more and more likely that if he keeps up whatever it is he’s currently doing, twtr will end up costing him a lot more than 44+4b

it doesn’t seem like a first principles approach to efficient capital allocation. also doesn’t seem necessary. but hey, it’s not my money. and not my place to judge.

just observing what’s happened
They should have a pancake breakfast in front of Twitter this weekend with an open house to raise money. I would like to see the wine on tap and the roof deck.

Gary feels the same way, and current sell was to cover the bridge loan to close twitter. He feels that selling is done.

Would also like to take this moment to point out all the nonstop Gary bashing when he said Elon needed to sell again after Twitter deal became official, with so many here saying “no Elon promised he was done selling!!! Gary is a boomer fool.”

Well, Gary was right.

I’m not saying this to say Gary’s always right (I significantly disagree with his FSD views), but the echo chamber here to slant positive reaches echo chamber level. And I’ve called it out multiple times, that we need to understand and consider other viewpoints to make the best moves as investors.