Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sunrise on the Union ;) (Dylan /s)

GM CEO Mary Barra on Thursday said the significant increase in profits factors in federal incentives under the Biden administration’s Inflation Reduction Act, which includes money back for companies that produce EVs in North America as well as consumers and fleet customers that purchase the vehicles

+Wonder what happens to Tesla US under such environment :)
But didn't they admit they won't make a profit on EVs till 2025? But now they'll have the same profits... lol

Wow price target of 128 in the next month.

That is more bearish than I could have imagined you @StarFoxisDown!.
This is obviously a worst-case scenario with a combination of factors that would have to line up for Wall St/Hedge Funds to achieve this including the macro's taking another leg lower and setting a new low.....and as I mentioned, I think it would be an intraday drop with a strong recovery back above 140/share. But I also think hedge funds are very aware of that happens to TSLA's PE metrics once Q4's earnings get factored in, even if deliveries come in low at like 425k.

Hedge funds know that once TSLA hits a certain cheapness in valuation, institutional funds, including ones that focus on value stocks, will be stepping in in a big way. I don't know what that valuation would be.....a TTM PE of 40 maybe? A Forward PE of under 30? Hell even Buffet might start buying in at those valuation.

So once that cheapness valuation is determined, the game is over for hedge funds in terms of creating these drastic moves. So yeah......I think they're going to make the most of the next 6 weeks and if the macro's cooperate with them by taking another big leg lower, things could get very ugly for the stock until we get those Q4 P/D numbers 🤷‍♂️

715zn1.jpg

I'm watching the GM Investor day.

GM President Mark Reuss is making a point they have serviced 11,000 Tesla's because GM dealers are so trusted. It's a growing business for them!

He did not say what service they do but my best guess buying tires?
Probably just rotating tires initially, but after inspection recommended the car with only 30,000 miles needed a brake job and new shocks, estimated service charge for rotating tires: $2,500. Service tech calls while the car is still torn apart, there is a nasty road rash they can't clear up on the right rear tire so they can't complete the job without replacing the rims...

2. Musk needs to buy some Tesla. This is a symbol that he is confident with twitters financials and the overhang should finally be over.

So for the stock get out of the mud, we need some of these things to happen.

I don't think so. Musk buying TSLA shares now would make him look like a speculator and trader, and a manic-depressive one at that. That's not gonna happen.

Musk has said he doesn't even consider himself an investor, let alone a speculator or trader, Musk is an innovator and engineer, an industrialist, the likes of which the world has never seen. His stock trades are simply to facilitate his innovations that benefit humanity.

Probably just rotating tires initially, but after inspection recommended the car with only 30,000 miles needed a brake job and new shocks, estimated service charge for rotating tires: $2,500. Service tech calls while the car is still torn apart, there is a nasty road rash they can't clear up on the right rear tire so they can't complete the job without replacing the rims...
Don't forget wiper blades for $500 and cabin air filters for $2500 (they're quite tricky to get to).

But didn't they admit they won't make a profit on EVs till 2025? But now they'll have the same profits... lol
Even if they broke even on every EV sold (which they won't because they will be trying to compete with Tesla with an inferior product), they will be supplanting a gas car that has historically produced very positive margins. Some would call this a death spiral.

Even if they broke even on every EV sold (which they won't because they will be trying to compete with Tesla with an inferior product), they will be supplanting a gas car that has historically produced very positive margins. Some would call this a death spiral.
The picture GM paints is one where ICE sales are flat or growing slightly while EV sales take off until they eventually overshadow their ICE sales. So EV sales are growth while profits continue to be driven by ICE for years to come until they can turn EVs profitable. Industry analysts seem content to accept this nonsense narrative.

Over the past ~7 years not only have ICE sales not been flat, they've declined much much faster than their EV sales. The past couple years the market has been exceptionally generous to them with low interest rates and high used car prices. The next couple of years are likely to be far less generous. But disastrous rhymes with generous right? Close enough.

I'm watching the GM Investor day.

GM President Mark Reuss is making a point they have serviced 11,000 Tesla's because GM dealers are so trusted. It's a growing business for them!

He did not say what service they do but my best guess buying tires?

The other thing that was somewhat surprising.

160GwH of batteries to support 1M+ vehicles in 2025. He did say "more than" but the target is 1M run rate in 2025.

That's 160KwH per vehicle!

So looks like the Hummer approach for the full line up!

I think Mary Barra is correct. In 2025 EV demand will have skyrocketed so they'll have enough pricing power to be able to make a very small profit on those, and gas car demand will have cratered so they'll make a very small profit on those. Equal profits on both: barely any.