Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jon Oliver talking about musks twitter acquisition on his show tonight and it’s a good reminder of how little exposure most people have to Elon and how little understanding the greater population has. So much of the “holy *sugar* he’s crazy” analysis Oliver gives is funniest to me because if you have zero exposure to Elon or understanding of tech it all makes sense. But myself understanding both well Oliver just looks hilariously oblivious.

Which is relevant both because it’s a good reminder people don’t understand him. But more importantly most people are totally unaware of most of what’s going on with him. Tesla cars sell themselves regardless of elons shenanigans.

Jon Oliver talking about musks twitter acquisition on his show tonight and it’s a good reminder of how little exposure most people have to Elon and how little understanding the greater population has. So much of the “holy *sugar* he’s crazy” analysis Oliver gives is funniest to me because if you have zero exposure to Elon or understanding of tech it all makes sense. But myself understanding both well Oliver just looks hilariously oblivious.

Which is relevant both because it’s a good reminder people don’t understand him. But more importantly most people are totally unaware of most of what’s going on with him. Tesla cars sell themselves regardless of elons shenanigans.
Not crazy, just misunderstood.

Glad to hear it, thanks. MODS, this means a firmer hand is indicated with OT/Banned topics:
  • Don't be afraid to just delete an OT post (is it Banned? End of Discussion.)
  • keep track of who's posts are being deleted (there are serial abusers)
  • use the BAN hammer to encourage the incorrigible
Trolling only works when it's encouraged (folks replying to trolls), or when its ignored (patterns emerge quickly enough when you follow this Forum daily).

Let's try to work together to keep our good members and encourage high quality posts. Makes for better reading, too.

Thanks.
I've had more than one post deleted in the past that wasn't about a OT/Banned topic. The last thing I want is posts deleted with no explanation. Often deleting my message while leaving others on the same topic (though it's possible that others were deleted that I didn't see in some cases, it is often the case that I've replied to someone or they replied to me and my message is deleted but theirs isn't).

I'd also hate to be banned because a moderator used poor judgment repeatedly.

While I hear you that there is a wildness that needs to be tamed, It needs to be done in a way that doesn't delete good on topic posts.

Igor's short interest estimates for TSLA are notoriously unreliable, and it's because of his methodology. He has a group of customers which form a small sample of short sellers, but systematically DOES NOT include short selling by large hedge funds (which DO NOT subscribe to Ihor's S3 service).

This is a sampling issue which could be solved to remove the inherent bias. Such a project would be worthy of the statistics skills of our own @Gigapress ;)

True enough, but an even larger issue affecting TSLA selling right now is unrestricted PUT options buying. There is a large weekly trade being made against TSLA each week, and TSLA itself accounts for half the volume of all Options being traded on NASDAQ.

These are unrestricted because Options Market Makers are allowed to sell reflexively even when they have not located the shares first (that's the Madoff Exemption). So, shortzes just buy short PUTS and let the MMs do the selling: Shares they don't own, and don't have to locate if they can cover before the next ~13 day reporting period for NDRs.

The #SEC should make a simple rule that you can't buy PUT options on shares you don't own. That'd mess with the shortzes. ;)

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of put options are just longs' hedges. I know I have quite a few.

I've had more than one post deleted in the past that wasn't about a OT/Banned topic. The last thing I want is posts deleted with no explanation.

So do you think a MOD 'owes' an explanation for deleting a comment that actually is off-topic or on a banned topic? Your comment doesn't address or solve the underlying problem, which is that recently we've lost more MODS than trolls. Then lack of MODeration leads people to quit as contributers (poor Signal-to-Noise ratio).

The situation (even within the past hour), is that people think their own opinions are so important, they absolutely must post them in Main. In reality, there are plenty of other places on this site to post those same comments where they are on-topic. If not, members can start their own threads.

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of put options are just longs' hedges. I know I have quite a few.

That's why brokers and the NASDAQ don't provide easy access to statistics that would quantify that. Study Options volume in the final 2-3 days before a contract expires. There is often 10x the volume total in that short timeframe vs the lifetime of the contract. That's day-trading options, not long hedging. And we don't get to hear about it, or it's effects.

Simple rule of thumb. When #shares controlled by options contracts far exceeds the number of shares in the float, that system is fundamentally unstable. Should I be post the "double pendulum" video at this point? Hint: Options Market Makers (via the Madoff Exemption) are the "hinge" that makes this system chaotic.

Or for Football fans, imagine a "player/referee" competing in a World Cup match. How will that affect the nature and outcome of the game? (Level playing field metaphor redacted.)

Last edited:
So do you think a MOD 'owes' an explanation for deleting a comment that actually is off-topic or on a banned topic? Your comment doesn't address or solve the underlying problem, which is that recently we've lost more MODS than trolls. Then lack of MODeration leads people to quit as contributers (poor Signal-to-Noise ratio).

The situation (even within the past hour), is that people think their own opinions are so important, they absolutely must post them in Main. In reality, there are plenty of other places on this site to post those same comments where they are on-topic. If not, members can start their own threads.

At this point I'm fine with a twtr vs tsla post being move/deleted. No comment needed. Move it or Nuke it from orbit is up to them. Because the mods have made it clear for days if not weeks that they would do so. I'm not asking them to increase their workload in regards to the sea of posts on that topic.

I'm not fine with a non twtr post being deleted from the middle of a chain of on topic posts. I haven't mentioned that bird site since the first moderator message saying not to. But I had a post go missing earlier today that I have to assume a moderator deleted and it was about the location of the next gigafactory. Seems on topic to me.

I've had more than one post deleted in the past that wasn't about a OT/Banned topic. The last thing I want is posts deleted with no explanation. Often deleting my message while leaving others on the same topic (though it's possible that others were deleted that I didn't see in some cases, it is often the case that I've replied to someone or they replied to me and my message is deleted but theirs isn't).

I'd also hate to be banned because a moderator used poor judgment repeatedly.

While I hear you that there is a wildness that needs to be tamed, It needs to be done in a way that doesn't delete good on topic posts.
There is very little chance that a post on Twitter or Politics in this thread will be either good or on topic.

Mods just need to publish a list of OT topics the delete posts on those topics when they are made.

The list of OT topics isn't large 2-3 topics, generate all of the OT posts and the low quality posits.

If you believe your OT post will be quality then put in the right thread, that way others are guaranteed to see it.

Keep the OT posts out of here, then hard working mods will not accidentally delete good on topic posts.

The best moderation is, no need for moderation,

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is a repost. Just popped up on Tweetbot.

Musk says next month they take the Safety Score gate off of FSD. FSD for all (But it’ll cost you $14k)

1669011359996.jpeg

I know Tesla is supply limited, but they need to spend some marketing dollars for Hertz. I just rented a MY last week and drove it over 1,100 miles to tour the ASU campus with my son. The MY did not have premium connectivity. This is a colossal missed marketing opportunity. The radio without premium connectivity (PC) is quite sad, while the media system with PC is impressive. A non-Tesla owner would simply walk away thinking either the radio sucks or, best case, that Tesla nickel and dimes you for the simplest things. Tesla not ensuring that all Hertz rentals have PC is egregious IMO. While I'm complaining, Hertz only lets you use the black keycard...impossible to know when you are done Supercharging without the phone app, or precondition the car on a hot/cold day, no walk away lock, or walk up unlock...the inconvenience of the keycard is significant over Bluetooth phone and changes the overall experience that owning a Tesla really offers. Lastly, lane changing while using AP without FSD is a much bigger PITA than I estimated. Glad Hertz offers Teslas, but they are NOT putting their best foot forward!

I know Tesla is supply limited, but they need to spend some marketing dollars for Hertz. I just rented a MY last week and drove it over 1,100 miles to tour the ASU campus with my son. The MY did not have premium connectivity. This is a colossal missed marketing opportunity. The radio without premium connectivity (PC) is quite sad, while the media system with PC is impressive. A non-Tesla owner would simply walk away thinking either the radio sucks or, best case, that Tesla nickel and dimes you for the simplest things. Tesla not ensuring that all Hertz rentals have PC is egregious IMO. While I'm complaining, Hertz only lets you use the black keycard...impossible to know when you are done Supercharging without the phone app, or precondition the car on a hot/cold day, no walk away lock, or walk up unlock...the inconvenience of the keycard is significant over Bluetooth phone and changes the overall experience that owning a Tesla really offers. Lastly, lane changing while using AP without FSD is a much bigger PITA than I estimated. Glad Hertz offers Teslas, but they are NOT putting their best foot forward!

You’re right, they should at least enable PC and EAP on the rentals. Perhaps they could offer Hertz a fleet discount on those products or roll them into the price of the car with a feature expiry upon disposal to the used market.