Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sounds a tad too tin-hat to me. Although others also have written of a “2 ratings agency blessing”, and I do not deny it might exist, I never came across it in my decades as an institutional investor.

Regardless, let’s assume that it is the case. Were it so, then the balancing game between Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s, and Fitch would ensure it behooves the second slot would be filled nigh instantly, thereupon benefitting their, not the Johnny-Come-Lately 3rd place agency’s, clientele.

Problem is that Fitch doesn't rate Telsa. So the trifecta argument doesn't apply in this specific instance.

And my "tin hat" is based upon the collusion of these two institutions with the various Wall St firms during the 2008 financial crisis and how they rated the absolute *sugar* debt instruments those companies were pushing as AAA.

How the sausage is made?

I did not know that about Fitch; I’m happy to take your word for it. That being the case, your assertion that 2 ratings are needed is even more suspect, in that it means an investment management firm is hamstringing itself by demanding such a gloves & suspenders set of criteria. It MIGHT exist, but would be crafted , in my belief, solely for the most risk averse clientele - a minuscule set.

Giga Seoul?

South Korea makes a lot of sense with 20/20 hindsight. They have LG doing batteries in volume. They have Samsung making components for HW3(maybe not HW4), Dojo etc. They have a rather large Automotive industry with talent(like Germany), they have a lot of manufacturing skill etc. They have a rather large domestic market, but so far not very high EV penetration, but still one of the largest markets:
1669190239277.png

1669190332121.png

Their population is hardworking and so far limited to compete for the prestigious jobs at the big giants. I recommend this video to see how messed up the incumbents are:

I guess Japan is also a competitor for factory for some of the same reasons. But their governments is very protective of their petroleum industry thinking that hydrogen will save them somehow. We all know how wrong they are on this, but don't expect much support from their government...

If they do the factory in South Korea, I would assume Incheon is the prime candidate. Big Auto Industry there, not to far from LG Chem factory in Ochong, near the population centre of Seoul and near ocean for shipping. Or Seoul, Elon seems to like to put the factories in big popular centres.

Last edited:
South Korea makes a lot of sense with 20/20 hindsight. They have LG doing batteries in volume. They have Samsung making components for HW3(maybe not HW4), Dojo etc. They have a rather large Automotive industry with talent(like Germany), they have a lot of manufacturing skill etc. They have a rather large domestic market, but so far not very high EV penetration, but still one of the largest markets:
View attachment 877463
View attachment 877464

Their population is hardworking and so far limited to compete for the prestigious jobs at the big giants. I recommend this video to see how messed up the incumbents are:

I guess Japan is also a competitor for factory for some of the same reasons. But their governments is very protective of their petroleum industry thinking that hydrogen will save them somehow. We all know how wrong they are on this, but don't expect much support from their government...

If they do the factory in South Korea, I would assume Incheon is the prime candidate. Big Auto Industry there, not to far from LG Chem factory in Ochong, near the population centre of Seoul and near ocean for shipping.
Could be a good backup in case Taiwan gets HK’d.

Not sure there has been enough hysteria about this tweet yet:
In next 24 hours or so we will get to see that V11 is truly getting there. We will then improve our probabilities that Elon's next trick or having V11 go live to all in NA this year will come true. This in turn will give us a better than evens chance that Zach will magically add $1+Bn to the bottom line in Q4.

What comes next:

Demand….Recession….

This seems to be the latest guess as to why Tesla is in the penalty box. And we really have been lately with red -5% days being common for TSLA alone. But, if you really are thinking that demand has softened...and your worried about what a recession might do to further soften our luxury car demand, look no further than this (outdated - sorry, but I couldn't find a newer one) chart:

1669193250460.png

Who has the room to adjust prices if demand does soften? I know we've become accustomed to these almost 30% margins, but rather than worry about Tesla's ability to maintain them, realize that in a recession, they also offer the flexibility to reduce pricing to maintain factories running at peak efficiency and continue to build out production capacity towards 50% growth all per the mission. Do you appreciate how easily Tesla can increase demand through relatively small reductions in pricing (among other incentives) if necessary? Tesla seems the most likely to refuse to slow down even with a possible recession because it's their mission and they have the manufacturing innovation and operating margins to navigate such headwinds. I honestly think that this is why Tesla leadership doesn't seem worried about demand.

I did not know that about Fitch; I’m happy to take your word for it. That being the case, your assertion that 2 ratings are needed is even more suspect, in that it means an investment management firm is hamstringing itself by demanding such a gloves & suspenders set of criteria. It MIGHT exist, but would be crafted , in my belief, solely for the most risk averse clientele - a minuscule set.
I agree. And this ultra conservative group of equity investors would be more likely than most to be public institutions or quasi- public institutions (municipalities, university endowment funds, pension funds, etc). In that case at least some of them would publish their investment criteria publicly.

Given the level of research members on this board do and yet have not found any examples of this elusive breed it is difficult to believe they exist.

I used to be really excited for FSD updates, now I won’t get out of my chair to go drive or read release notes.

wide release = asset value increase would be nice, but is it one time only?
While it’s a one time revenue booking, it also means customers are more likely to order it if they don’t have to deal with safety scores and beta programs—so it should lead to higher GMs on average.

View attachment 877463
View attachment 877464

If they do the factory in South Korea, I would assume Incheon is the prime candidate. Big Auto Industry there, not to far from LG Chem factory in Ochong, near the population centre of Seoul and near ocean for shipping. Or Seoul, Elon seems to like to put the factories in big popular centres.
I dont see Korea ... but I welcome @unk45 thoughts.

I used to be really excited for FSD updates, now I won’t get out of my chair to go drive or read release notes.

wide release = asset value increase would be nice, but is it one time only?
I think this is talking more about value of the existing fleet, which probably means a significant increase of FSD pricing.

But Elon usually give heads up before FSD pricing goes up, but not this time given numerous opportunities too do so. Which leads me to believe this time they are going to remove the one-time FSD purchase option and go subscription only(and hike subscription prices significantly, in turn increasing value of existing cars with FSD package).

Last edited:
Part 5 of Tony Seba’s ‘The Great Transformation’ is out this morning. Its title is ‘Implications’. It is an 8 minute deeper dive into the impacts of building a new Energy (solar, wind, batteries), Transportation (electric vehicles), & Food (Precision Fermentation & Cell Ag) Infrastructure.

Tony always has a jewel of a mic-drop comment in the middle of his presentations that he should probably save for the end, but he is so excited to share this information. This presentation was no exception, and the concept is powerful:

“Poverty will be a social choice”

Last edited:
I don't have the actual note (probably can be found on Twitter if you are brave) but Jonas points out that "Despite challenges including decelerating demand and price cuts in China, Tesla is the only electric vehicle maker covered by Morgan Stanley that generates a profit on the sale of its cars."

I still don't understand how this isn't brought up more often. Who cares about specs, or battery tech or any of the crap others claim they have when they can't build at a profit?

I still don't understand how this isn't brought up more often. Who cares about specs, or battery tech or any of the crap others claim they have when they can't build at a profit?

Were you around for the dot com boom and bust? It was littered with market darlings who lost $ on everything but planned to eventually make it up in volume.