Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the big question is why was this only done / validated now when the big semi release event is days away?

Shouldn't this have been done a while ago with one of the validation or prototype units?

I suppose one can just extrapolate the energy usage out to a full discharge of the pack, but it always sounds better to have actually proven it in real life.
Test with an actual production semi?
Timelapse recording for delivery Event?
Driving by FSD v11?
Downhill? /s

.40/kWh isn’t actually all that high. Here in California, our peak pricing is around .58/kWh the last time I checked. Also our nat gas prices are also going up since we are selling so much to Europe now.
Including VAT and distribution/transport that 40 cent will be more like 65 cents. The mentioned prices are ex VAT at the wholesale auction level.
And I guess Cali wages are a lot higher.

Fourth, it doesn’t actually matter at what point they prove their specs.

Well, as a shareholder, it does matter. He is correct. And your points are good as well but it is not unreasonable to be clear and complete in describing a new product release in language that meets the product release goals with clarity and assurance.

EM has often said that he says what he means plainly. Seems plainly to me this is a recent validation. It is what it is just as he said it until we are provided more details.

Reactions: JustMe
They’ll make it as low as it makes sense from a Tesla business point at any given moment. They won’t sabotage the company with a price point too low and they won’t be robber barons with an exaggerated high price point.
I think they can price it quite high, as long as the purchaser can negotiate inexpensive wholesale electric price. It will also give incentives to find low cost power which favors renewable as the levelized cost of power heads down.

I'm excited to hear about what Tesla has achieved in terms of miles per kwh. On the website it says "<2kWh's/mile". Well I wonder how much less and I think they'll tell us. So why not have a poll and see what others think?

Here's what is on the website exactly: "With less than 2 kWh per mile of energy consumption, Semi can travel up to 500 miles on a single charge."

I think Tesla is using 60 mph for this rating.

Here's a comparison with a Volvo electric Semi, but not enough details are given to do an apples to apples.

"The Volvo FH Electric kept an average speed of 80 km/h (~50mph) over the whole route, which was on par with the Volvo FH equipped with a diesel engine and the fuel efficiency package I-Save. Based on the energy consumption of only 1.1 kWh/km (1.77kWh/mile), the electric truck demonstrated a total range of 345 km (214 miles)."

"It's not like plugging in a toaster. If you put 50 trucks somewhere, that is basically equivalent to a factory," said Dave Mullaney, who leads the analysis of electric trucking at the RMI energy research institute.
Gah... bit of hyperbole in that article:

Tesla's semi will need "as much power as a small town."

and

your typical highway charging station will need about as much power as a local pro sports stadium

Whereas, actual stadium usage is reported as(from this article):

State-of-the-art stadiums with retractable roofs and fully enclosed, air conditioned environments, can consume up to 750 megawatts continually during a match

I too think, once the Tesla Semis are on the road and working, and after the word is out on just how profitable a transition they can be for anyone using diesel trucks, the waiting list for them will grow incredibly fast.

I think I read the current line in Nevada can make three semis per day? They need to get the Austin semi line up fast, because 1000 trucks per year is NOT going to meet the demand for these things.
It depends on charging costs as at the moment my model 3 is more expensive to drive than gas for the RAV4 Prime on trips.

Well, as a shareholder, it does matter. He is correct. And your points are good as well but it is not unreasonable to be clear and complete in describing a new product release in language that meets the product release goals with clarity and assurance.

EM has often said that he says what he means plainly. Seems plainly to me this is a recent validation. It is what it is just as he said it until we are provided more details.
Haha! Not even going to talk about the absurd standard TSLA ‘shareholders’ hold Elon and Tesla to vs virtually every other person and entity just on this one particular point. Nor mention that what one ‘seems’ isn’t actually fact.

This shareholder is content not seeming but rather waiting a few more days and additionally taking into account all previous vehicle launches as a basis for what is most likely until factual proof of otherwise is shown. Admittedly, that’s just how I roll.

I'm excited to hear about what Tesla has achieved in terms of miles per kwh. On the website it says "<2kWh's/mile". Well I wonder how much less and I think they'll tell us. So why not have a poll and see what others think?

Here's what is on the website exactly: "With less than 2 kWh per mile of energy consumption, Semi can travel up to 500 miles on a single charge."

I think Tesla is using 60 mph for this rating.

Here's a comparison with a Volvo electric Semi, but not enough details are given to do an apples to apples.

"The Volvo FH Electric kept an average speed of 80 km/h (~50mph) over the whole route, which was on par with the Volvo FH equipped with a diesel engine and the fuel efficiency package I-Save. Based on the energy consumption of only 1.1 kWh/km (1.77kWh/mile), the electric truck demonstrated a total range of 345 km (214 miles)."

If you scale the battery on the volvo to give the same range as a Tesla semi and increase speed to 60mph, you are looking at over 2kwh/mile. Probably over 2.4 kWh per mile

Drag alone increases by 44%.

If you scale the battery on the volvo to give the same range as a Tesla semi and increase speed to 60mph, you are looking at over 2kwh/mile. Probably over 2.4 kWh per mile

Drag alone increases by 44%.
Clearly very little thought was given to aero on the Renault trucks delivered to Coca-Cola. It would be interesting to know the average speed of the Semi on the recent 500 mile test run.

Reactions: scaesare
Clearly very little thought was given to aero on the Renault trucks delivered to Coca-Cola. It would be interesting to know the average speed of the Semi on the recent 500 mile test run.

They are reusing a diesel chassis. European trucks are designed to minimize length and turning radius. Aero is almost an afterthought.

"It's not like plugging in a toaster. If you put 50 trucks somewhere, that is basically equivalent to a factory," said Dave Mullaney, who leads the analysis of electric trucking at the RMI energy research institute.
Equivalent to a factory that can have 50 trucks and rooftop solar which could power a town or their own business operations? I'm confused.

It depends on charging costs as at the moment my model 3 is more expensive to drive than gas for the RAV4 Prime on trips.

Yeah the price of supercharging has gone up dramatically. I just did a trip from PA to CO recently and after evaluating my charging costs for the trip and comparing them to what it would have cost us to take the Crosstrek instead, I was surprised to see we didn't save all that much in fuel costs.

Charging my MYLR at home is dirt cheap, but road trips have become nearly equal to fuel costs for an ICE which gets 30mpg. This will change in time of course, but for now it's less than ideal.

They will do local deliveries. I’d be surprised if they achieve an average of 50km/h. The roads they drive on will have mostly 50km/h speed limit, and the remainder will be 70km/h (outside town centres), 30 km/h (town centres, school areas), or 90km/h (highway speed limit for trucks). Aero is not a dominant factor at those speeds, only above 90km/h aero becomes dominant.
Edit: it’s clearly a different product than the Tesla Semi, which is optimised for longe range highway routes.

Last edited:
They will do local deliveries. I’d be surprised if they achieve an average of 50km/h. The roads they drive on will have mostly 50km/h speed limit, and the remainder will be 70km/h (outside town centres), 30 km/h (town centres, school areas), or 90km/h (highway speed limit for trucks). Aero is not a dominant factor at those speeds, only above 90km/h aero becomes dominant.
Edit: it’s clearly a different product than the Tesla Semi, which is optimised for longe range highway routes.
Yes, the lack of aero engineering won't be nearly as detrimental due to the low speeds and short routes. Really not comparable to the Semis to be delivered to Pepsi other than they'll both be painted in soft drink livery. Kind of an embarrassing poke they took at Tesla/Pepsi given how boring their truck is.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC