Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The moderation team has decided to unlock the Twitter thread again, but stresses that you all strictly follow these rules:

- No personal attacks.
- No toxic political posts.
- No use of denigrating and demeaning language.
- No Twitter discussion in other threads.

Breaking these rules can lead to your account being temporarily banned.

The moderating team can also decide to lock the thread again, at any time.

Edit: never mind. This is an old email

Elon said Q4 could be the best in Tesla’s history. We know that is a low bar but glad that Elon opened with that confirmation.

The purpose of his email appears to be that there has been some pristine inventory cars sold below current order price. Elon said he will personally look into each of those inciden
ts and there should be zero such cases going forward.

D3CAF3F7-40FA-4250-8290-1094D92547A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Elon said Q4 could be the best in Tesla’s history. We know that is a low bar but glad that Elon opened with that confirmation.

The purpose of his email appears to be that there has been some cars sold below order price. Elon said he will personally look into each of those incidents and there should be zero such cases going forward.

View attachment 878888
Are you sure that is a current email? That sounds like one from years ago.

They’re fun; it’s an interesting market. We take every competitor seriously; Tesla has proved they really have the tenacity to really go through huge losses to capture the market. But trucking is a difficult business. They will learn the hard way; trucking is not like passenger cars where one size fits all. There’s a lot of variety in trucking… the United States is a highly competitive market, so as I said, they’re fun,” he said.

Hmmmm, this isn't the portrayal I'd expect the big incumbents to be most worried about....unless they haven't been innovating much for decades....😉

They’re fun; it’s an interesting market. We take every competitor seriously; Tesla has proved they really have the tenacity to really go through huge losses to capture the market. But trucking is a difficult business. They will learn the hard way; trucking is not like passenger cars where one size fits all. There’s a lot of variety in trucking… the United States is a highly competitive market, so as I said, they’re fun,” he said.

Hmmmm, this isn't the portrayal I'd expect the big incumbents to be most worried about....unless they haven't been innovating much for decades....😉
Until there is a charging network, Tesla Semi will be short run. However, that covers most truck usage. Trucking is certainly a difficult business to break into, but it's 100% about cost (or time, which is just another way of saying cost); 0% about personalities. I recall when radial tires first came to the logging industry. Before radial tires, the truckers spent their evenings fixing flats on their trucks. Once a couple tried radial tires and found they no longer needed to do that, the switch was pretty much overnight.

After reading and thinking about the semi event and sales....This isn't a typical family/consumer product. It's about businesses moving their products for cheaper. It's simply a business decision that should prove to be very lucrative for any business that can get their hands on one. There's no other competitor offering a 500 mile range product. SO, if Tesla sells these semis for anything less than 30% GM, I'll be pissed as an investor.

It's just gravy to the buyers that it significantly reduces the carbon footprint, will be a joy for truckers to accelerate in or drive up any grade.

After reading and thinking about the semi event and sales....This isn't a typical family/consumer product. It's about businesses moving their products for cheaper. It's simply a business decision that should prove to be very lucrative for any business that can get their hands on one. There's no other competitor offering a 500 mile range product. SO, if Tesla sells these semis for anything less than 30% GM, I'll be pissed as an investor.

It's just gravy to the buyers that it significantly reduces the carbon footprint, will be a joy for truckers to accelerate in or drive up any grade.

Yeah, but what about buttons, switches, and knobs. does it have those?

Survey says, that's what real(tm) truckers want, and the legacy providers have been meeting those demands just fine, for decades, while providing marginal performance and environmental improvements only when they were forced to.

There is no way some upstart will be able to compete against what has been working (poorly) for so long, right?

Besides, who is this Tesler anywho ... and what is this "disruption" folks keep going on about?
/s

I drive a def diesel fire engine. Our newest tiller trucks are also def diesel. I will attest it comes with a lot of problems. Our mechanics hate them; the dpf (diesel particulate filter)and def.

The def systems robs a significant amount of power. Also, there is what’s called ‘def regen’ which is explained Here. But the tldr is it will cause the engine to superheat the motor in order to clean out the diesel particulate filter.

It’s not uncommon for us to have to run our truck at high idle for 1 to 3 hours a week to complete this process… I’m all for clean air, but this whole process seems absurd.
It is a corruption of the political process. Can you imagine that they have forced this into heavy equipment? In 2 years there will be a low boiling revolt against the EPA all over this stupid issue.

Honestly the real truckers will complain that they miss the rumble and vibration of a 600hp engine under the hood. For most though it's just a job and they'll be happy if it doesn't have def and breakdowns.

And I wonder if he knows what else is fun? A company saving money on shipping and freight costs, that is really fun.

STILL no idea why there were no TSLA FTD"s reported November/December 2018/first half January 2019

It's likely the values exceeded threshold limits set in the Exchange's reporting software (based on some preconceived notion of what level of FTD's would have to be a gross error). Except we know TSLA not a typical stock, and it regular exceeds normal limits in all other categories.

The way to test for this is to look at other high-volatility battleground stocks for similar periods of data outages when the stocks ware known to be highly shorted.

The obvious test case is AMC Entertainment (NYSE:AMC) when the short squeeze peaked on Jan 26, 2021 (then was broken up by nefarious banksters who disallowed retail from buying shares, but only allowed retail to sell shares - brokers of course could buy shares). Be interesting to see if this 'event' showed up in the data.

Two other similar equities to test would be GameStop (NTSE:GME) and Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ:BBBY).

Good luck with your research, and hopefully some light seeps out the cracks in the data.

Cheers!

Maybe we should tell the guy from Daimler... Make a truck that saves your customers $50,000 a year and it wont be such a difficult market to sell in.