Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has fallen 60% over 13 months, possibly another few months of pain and in my humble opinion tesla is no less of a company than apple was in 2008 so i expect similar or better recovery
i may be wrong but this is how i am dealing with this drawdown
I'd like to point out that AAPL market cap was only $76B in 2008, so it was 1/7 the size of TSLA today....

Way higher retail sales than expected. Not sure what to make of it. All logic IF you’re struggling with local demand would be that these numbers are reversed.

The production number should be somewhere out there as well for those that pay for it (Rob will definitely have it on his podcast tomorrow).

Btw these official numbers don’t exactly match up with the weekly numbers that have been coming out. It’s off by about 5-6k

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but Emmet Peppers went to the Tesla Semi event and he was prodding around trying to find information about the share buyback (youtube video listed below). It wasn't directly told to him, but he inferred from the answers (and non-answers) he received that Elon is 100% completely fine with the share buyback, as he has stated on Twitter. Thus, as Elon also stated on Twitter, the board is the one that is hesitant to green light the share buyback, but the most interesting thing Emmet inferred from what was said to him was that the reason for the board's hesitancy is because institutional investors are telling the board not to do the share buyback.

If this is true, here are some points I'd like to make:

1. Contrary to the beliefs of many on social media, including here on TMC, the Tesla Board IS actively looking in the best interests of it's shareholders. It just so happens that institutional investors have a much stronger and persuasive voice than retail investors (most likely due to them owning more shares than retail I'm guessing?)
2. Why do institutional investors not want the buyback to happen? There are two possibilities I can think of. The first is that having less cash on hand could be an added risk to the company that institutional investors prefer not to take. The second is that it might be possible that institutional investors are interested in still being able to get shares on the cheap while they're able to.

Note that there are also some other takeaways from the rest of the youtube video related to Cybertruck that I thought were interesting as well, so it's probably worth listening to the whole video. It seems that the Cybertruck project is called 'Project Everest' and Tesla has told it's suppliers to delay 4 months for it's production. This causes Matt to believe that very few cybertrucks will be produced next year, and that Cybertruck production will most begin around Q4.

Do I believe that Tesla is going to reduce Shanghai production for Dec by 20%? No I don't. And if there's no RoRo ships, then I would expect that Tesla thinks it has the orders for nothing but local deliveries in Dec.

And we'll see what the results are. If they end up cutting production for Dec and they still have tons of inventory locally in China at the end of the year, I don't know how anyone can say Tesla didn't royally screw up their logistics for the quarter when they have tons of order still to fill in many other countries.

If you do not believe that Tesla is cutting production in December, then why muse about Tesla screwing up their logistics?
For this is not about the company, but about people at Tesla working their b*tts of for us.
From what we have seen so far, delivering hundred thousands of cars around the globe:
I think these people at Tesla have earned themselves a little more faith in their logistical abilities.

This is very good news

China factory already at 1.2m per year rate (sales rather than production I know) and majority still for China market

We should hit 500,000 sales in Q4 across all factories. EOY discounts are probably just to encourage local deliveries as year end approaches so we can have a blow-out Quarter.

We should see $5bn profit just from the 500,000 sales, and maybe even $6bn when factoring in everything else, the FSD revenue recognition plus there are some tax allowances about to expire from the years they made a loss.

So possible $15bn profit for 2022 and annualised forward looking profit of $6bn * 4 = $24bn. Market cap now is $560bn = So P/E for 2022 of 38 with forward P/E of 23 and 2022 PAG of 0.22 with 170% growth in profits in 2022! (PAG of 1 is seen as conservative)

These are Warren Buffett value-like numbers, although he likes to have 5+ years of strong figures before investing

I’m of the opinion that Elon should Tweet, if true, that Tesla margins are not dropping with the price cuts, and that they are just wanting to move the extra production before end of year. The short sellers and FUD creators are materially hurting some of us, and they should be stopped.

TSLA moving to a -10X Beta is not good.
I don't think Elon should Tweet anything, I think Tesla or Tesla IR should be the source of info, Elon can re-Tweet

It would be a very small expense to have a couple of employees tasked with following the daily news and refuting where necessary with facts - it's not just short-term price that's being hammered, but the general sentiment on the stock is very negative along with perception of Tesla as a whole, and both will take time to recover, if they ever do

This evening while walking on indoor track at our local gym my wife implored me to consider other investment options than Tesla stock. She was truly petrified and anxious about all the FUD associated with Tesla and current CEO. We currently own 5 Teslas including 2 Plaid. She loves driving her Blue Plaid S. She is CEO/founder of her own company with approximately 100 employees so she is not scared easily. For her to counsel me for over 30 minutes to switch from TSLA to another company is highly unusual and reflects the intensity of FUD. I’m not 100% certain but seems to me we are pretty close to bottom from contrarian standpoint.
I am of course not remotely interested in another company than Tesla. I explained to her in excess of 50% Revenue and EPS growth for years to come. Selling Tesla at or near bottom is one of the worst investment mistakes in my opinion. She then also noted that she now seldom drives without seeing several Teslas on road.
If you listen to Peter Lynch, you should never ever sell stock of a company whose products you use daily and literally love. Selling Tesla in 2022 could prove to be a genius move for those who believe that Tesla is going to go much lower. As far as I’m concerned, the only thing that will ever make me get out of my tesla position will be fundamentals changing for worse permanently. Right or wrong, I truly believe that selling Tesla stock right now is like selling Apple stock in December 2008.

Here’s a picture of the Tesla she loves to drive daily.
Ive been on this site since 2018 and I think this is maybe my 2nd post.

To TrendTrader007's point,

As somebody who bought apple (AAPL) in 1997 and sold the stock in 2004 pre Iphone, and never got back in.

I believe it has 100X since then. It was a mistake I vowed to never make again, if I ever got an opportunity to invest in another generational company.

I purchased TSLA in 2017, and yes at times, it has been difficult to watch the 50% drawdowns, but to repeat the mistake I made with AAPL would have been devastating.

Tesla FUD is frustrating at times, Apple FUD was similar during the time I held the stock and I succumbed and sold my entire position, thinking the ipod was a fad, and 'listening to the competition was coming mantra' from the financial media.

To those who are hurting, hang in there if you can. Tesla has a fantastic future.

This is getting ridiculous: shorts drop TSLA premarket everyday on low volume and coordinated FUD, no one (including TSLA IR, BoD, etc) will defend TSLA. We’re getting shorted to oblivion here. I may start selling shares if the hemorrhaging doesn’t stop.

That's exactly what the shorts and FUD machines want you to do.

Drop in pre-market likely because of this article by Bloomberg:

This really isn't fun anymore.
Wholesale numbers are great. Then again the same article from Monday which was denied by Tesla China to tank stock price.
It's fun for institutional wolves who are gobbling up shares from retail sheep who are over-leveraged or don't understand that any dip in China demand doesn't matter much because Giga Shanghai has an order backlog from Europe and Australasia.

The "people familiar with the situation" didn't mention that.

This is getting ridiculous: shorts drop TSLA premarket everyday on low volume and coordinated FUD, no one (including TSLA IR, BoD, etc) will defend TSLA. We’re getting shorted to oblivion here. I may start selling shares if the hemorrhaging doesn’t stop.

I disagree on selling any shares at these absurdly low prices. That is exactly what the MM's are trying to make happen. We should be buying right now, if I had any spare cash I know I would be.

I do agree on how ridiculous this daily pattern has become though. 99% of the market is up this morning BUT of course TSLA is down sharply. On down days TSLA goes down, and on UP days it still seems to go down most of the time too. It feel's like TSLA is stuck in this basement it can't get out of, a penalty box of sorts.

How low can TSLA go? My hunch is we can go quite a bit lower yet than most of us think it can. 😔

Drop in pre-market likely because of this article by Bloomberg:

This really isn't fun anymore.
Wholesale numbers are great. Then again the same article from Monday which was denied by Tesla China to tank stock price.
I apologize so much! That was probably my fault. I still had a one month old, dusty and completely forgotten limit order for the purchase at 162,00 EUR (~ 170 USD), which my broker obviously wanted to serve. Got'em 😍 ... nice round number now.

I hereby credibly assure that I otherwise have no open orders (at ING).

The standard procedure is as soon as you sell all your shares, we will likely double bottom and skyrocket back higher. We are all waiting for your sell order.