Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also feel something is brewing. Interestingly the vehicle list submitted for the IRA for Tesla does not include the performance model 3, but does include the long range which isn't for sale right now. Could the performance model 3 be going away, and instead the long range is effectively the "performance" model?
People like the P3 though, and it has better margins than the LR. Would be a shame to see it go.

The media and analysts are completely ignoring the fact that Tesla could start advertising instead of dropping prices if they needed to. The average automaker spends about $500 per car on advertising. Tesla ads showing the benefits of EVs and advantages of Teslas over other EVs would be far more effective than the traditional ads showings cars going down a nice road and someone making vapid inspirational comments. Media and analysts seem to think that Tesla would rather see sales collapse and margins shrivel than run some ads.

The people who want Tesla to fail, like legacy auto, don't like the optics of Tesla growing while not advertising, while legacy has been shrinking for years even though they keep spending large sums of customer money pimping themselves on TV's around the world, billboards, magazines, etc. It just doesn't make them look good. They want Tesla to advertise so Tesla doesn't appear so different from them. Legacy auto wants to keep their enemy close, shoulder-to-shoulder, not standing on their shoulders!

Any Tesla shareholder who doesn't understand how not pimping themselves in an important differentiator from failing legacy auto needs to wake up! Tesla didn't get to where they are by copying the playbook written by legacy auto, they did it by disregarding their playbook, even when the noise from the peanut gallery of detractors telling Tesla they were doing it wrong grew louder than a puppy mill at feeding time. Not that I've ever been to a puppy mill, I can only imagine.

Perhaps when Tesla has 30-40% of the overall auto market, they could justify a small amount of advertising to reach the kind of people who only respond to such mainstream things, but it's really the kind of thing that is best used as last resort. Certainly not when they only have 3% of the market!

Last edited:

In a few weeks we’ll know whether this guy is a reliable source or a Twitter account worthy of the trash bin…
I have no doubts that that account has over-indulged in hopium.

Not sure I’d say worthy of the trash bin, but we’re not seeing 70% gross margins on Megapacks, that is certain.

I do think we’ll see some good news from Megapacks, but not the scale he’s talking up. Here is a decent counterfactual from James Stephenson—also a Tesla BULL, but one who is a bit more grounded.

Probably the most damning bit, last year Tesla was hoping they would be able to raise margins to be comparable to auto. Not double.

Last edited:
Reminds me of that one fan made commercial when the old man tried to kill himself after his wife passed away. He turned on his model S in the garage but that didn't work, then he tried to drive himself off the road but the Tesla had emergency braking..lol.
Actually, I got stuck in a car wash in model s, because of that function. When driver's butt is not in seat, brakes activate

Lots of battery energy storage system manufacturers offer similar software. I've spoken to several about it as part of my day job. Sadly Tesla have no advantage there.
You might be right. I have no real knowledge, and will never try to venture in that direction.
But you logic/rational is flawed.
Or I can say, " I spoke to BYD, Lucid, GM, and Rivian as part of my day job. Sadly, Tesla has no advantage in Software."

Well at least for us the projection is POSITIVE. We very well might have a mild to non existent recession here in Germany as of todays news.
And we have it bad here, which in return could mean a much more positive outlook for the US.
Is good news good news now? I thought it was the other way round where good news for the economy means higher interest rates and bad news for investors.

Reactions: UncaNed
You might be right. I have no real knowledge, and will never try to venture in that direction.
But you logic/rational is flawed.
Or I can say, " I spoke to BYD, Lucid, GM, and Rivian as part of my day job. Sadly, Tesla has no advantage in Software."
I think there’s also a large component of the larger the installed base of tesla battery storage the more valuable the software becomes. Even if the software is of the same quality with someone else’s, teslas larger capacity effectively makes them an aspiring market maker for energy prices.

Can someone please draft a boilerplate email ? and I will use it.

Also email address please? I am lazy
What I sent to [email protected] and subject must be OMB Control No. 1545-2137.

I do believe it is best that they dont get the same email over and over again. Rewrite and make your own.

I am writing to express my concern about the $7500 tax credit given to plug-in hybrid vehicles. While I understand the intention of this credit is to encourage the adoption of alternative fuel vehicles, I believe it is misguided to offer this credit to vehicles that are not as efficient as battery electric vehicles.

For example, the Jeep Wrangler plug-in hybrid is currently eligible for this credit, yet it can only go a maximum of 21 miles on electricity before the gasoline engine kicks in. This means that for the majority of its driving, it relies on fossil fuels and produces emissions just like a traditional gasoline vehicle.

I also want to bring to your attention the issue of certain highly efficient battery electric vehicles being excluded from this credit because they have been able to keep their weight down, which has caused them to not be classified as SUVs. However, lighter weight vehicles are generally more efficient and produce fewer emissions. Therefore, it seems counterintuitive to exclude these types of vehicles from the tax credit program.

Excluding highly efficient, low-emitting vehicles from the tax credit program sends the wrong message and does not effectively encourage the transition to cleaner transportation. I urge the IRS to reconsider the eligibility criteria for this credit and include all highly efficient battery electric vehicles, regardless of their weight or classification, in order to truly promote the adoption of alternative fuel vehicles.

In the end inefficient vehicles which add a small battery electric vehicles may have to be included because of the language of the law. If there is any way to exclude those then that should be done. Conversely if cars in the same category that both go 100s of miles on a single charge shouldn’t have 1 excluded because the less efficient model weights more while the more efficient model weights less. Doesn’t make sense to reward the less efficient vehicles while excluding the more efficient vehicles.

Sincerely,

Lots of battery energy storage system manufacturers offer similar software. I've spoken to several about it as part of my day job. Sadly Tesla have no advantage there.

To be fair that’s exactly what I’d expect the competition to say 😁

And there’s this:

I’m not terrible knowledgeable in this area but is this inertia not simulated through software in a way?

Hornsdale being capable of delivering inertia was a pretty big deal and a world’s first.

Last edited: