Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This NOT a reason he hasn’t invested in Tesla. Makes no sense. If this was an issue, why would he have invested in BYD?
Buffett is a cold-blooded shark who invests in companies that meet his threshold for likelihood of making him money. He doesn’t care much what business they’re in, except to the degree he thinks that sector is solid.
You can argue about the metrics etc he uses to make those decisions, but you can’t argue with the results.

BYD was a Munger purchase, after he met with the founder. They've also reduced their share of the company from 20%+ to 15%.

Indeed, I think at $400, TSLA got ahead of itself - well markets are "forward looking" they say, but this was a bit too much I feel

I'm don't have any fancy models to quote, just my gut-feeling from watching the company execution, outlook, competitive arena and stock price over the years, but right now totally oversold, obvious, with $240 - $275 being my "fair value" for the stock right now

It's always difficult to value a company that is increasing in value so quickly because, the shorter your time horizon, the less the current value. That just means it will be worth different amounts to different people. I think even to a trader with a 6-month time horizon it's probably under-valued now in terms of risk/reward but I say that without having a good idea of how much negative or positive pressure the current mix and scale of open options positions will apply to the share price in terms of unwinding market-maker options hedges over the next few months.

The way I look at Tesla is that it's a transformational company that is likely succeed in multiple areas. The automotive industry alone can easily justify the current valuation and then some, even if Tesla continues to represent only a fraction of all automotive market segments. And I would be quite surprised if other very promising revenue streams don't bear fruit. Things like FSD, energy, Optimus, etc. I base that on Tesla's established ability to solve difficult problems in a manner that ends up being efficient and profitable in the market. Essentially, Tesla has good management and obviously now it extends beyond Elon Musk who created it. This is the kind of company that if you don't buy it this year, because you think it's over-valued, you will always think it's over-valued and therefore will never own it. Even as it 5X and 10X in value. I'm betting that, in a lot less than 5 years, people will wish they had invested more in January of 2023, not less. But hindsight is 20/20.

Of course, it could suddenly start failing on all cylinders and languish under $100. But that's a pretty wild projection considering that it's currently best in breed in the most rapidly growing automotive segment (BEV) and the largest visible potential future competitor is BYD who would have to scale rapidly to about 10X their current BEV production (while Tesla continues to expand at projected rates) to provide much real competition to Tesla (fight for the same sales). The market for quality BEV's at affordable prices is much larger than either can supply for years to come.

The following strays away from responding to the comments by @Max Plaid and into addressing the large number of comments about the potential threat of BYD:

One factor that will likely affect BYD's speed of scaling production, looking forward from here, is that BYD is not without some ICE baggage that requires winding down. Those costs and distractions will make it more difficult for BYD to scale at mind-boggling speeds. It does look like BYD will likely be a major automotive player with BEV's, I just don't think they threaten Tesla in a meaningful fashion currently, due to the size of the automotive market relative to the current sizes of both Tesla and BYD. BYD is a rising star but there is no way to predict their relative strength vs. Tesla in 5 years. My guess is Tesla will still have the upper hand based on Tesla's stronger financial position now, their Supercharger Network in all major automotive markets, their rate of original innovation in production and materials science, and their current lead in scale of BEV production. Add to those advantages, Tesla's more mature sales and distribution and service networks in all major markets except for Asia. But these assumptions need to be regularly re-visited. Unfortunately, BYD's financial reporting has even less clarity and trustworthiness when compared to Tesla's. It's just the nature of Chinese companies vs. those listed in the US exchanges. This is not a western bias, it's a well-established fact.

People will always try to find threats to Tesla and that's a good thing. Where it turns bad is when they use ignorance of the facts and faulty reasoning and fear and doubt to convince people that a threat exists when it's only a distant threat that may or may not turn into a real threat. Perspective is everything and things tend to get blown out of proportion when it comes to potential competitive threats vs. real competitive threats. There is a thing called "time" and it's a big deal.

This is not a race that will be won or lost in a year or two, so anyone treating this like a blow-by-blow prize fight, in terms of monthly sales in limited geographical areas, will simply be shouting from the rooftops that they are a newbie investor with too much fear and not enough clue. BYD and Tesla can happily co-exist for a number of years, even if they both scale at breakneck speed. I see no particular advantage that BYD has over Tesla and lots of disadvantages. So, watch it unfold over longer periods of time, resist the desire to get all dramatic while comparing small slivers of data in small geographical areas and update your analysis deliberately and methodically as needed. Like I said, this is not a prize fight that requires blow-by-blow analysis.

One parting thought: I wonder how four occupants in a BYD Tang (latest SUV) or the BYD Han would have fared after the 250 vertical foot drop off Devil's Slide in California compared to the Tesla Model Y? I don't have much hope any of them would have survived. Tesla knows consumers are willing to pay for safety and that at high manufacturing volumes the extra engineering and testing costs spread out to just a few dollars per vehicle, giving the safety premium some pretty high margins. Volvo used to "own" vehicle safety. It looks like Tesla is rapidly becoming the new Volvo in terms of the safety they offer to occupants of their vehicles. People are willing to pay extra for that.

Last edited:
There are reasons to be happy about Tesla Energy not related to an assumption of huge margins. (I don't see that tesla have any tech advantage in energy storage, but they may have a scale advantage as a US domestic producer. Less obvious that they have a better product globally though).

The good thing about the energy business is its NOT the car business. The same is true of AI. This gives Tesla a place to shelter in a storm. If there are global conditions that severely impact the car market, or if Tesla get suddenly outcompeted somehow by huge state subsidies to rival car companies, they can still keep going through the storm with profits from Tesla Energy and AI.

This is not the case for GM, Ford etc. They are single-sector companies, and thus more vulnerable.

Talking of which, who was the ratings agency that was dubious of a re-rating until the product line expanded? With at least *some* semis on the road now, maybe we are getting closer to a re-rating?

Good information, thanks. I'd be very interested to know how this BYD. model stacks up safety-wise, compared to a Model 3. There are many things that need to be included when doing comparisons...
Importantly we’d also need a tear down. It’s hard to do a head-to-head comparison without an idea of how much it costs to build. To a great extent a car can be made better by throwing more money at it, but that doesn’t mean it’s economically competitive (looking at you, Lucid).

Regrading handling we also need to bear in mind the Model 3 chassis and suspension design is five years old and doesn’t take advantage of Tesla’s latest technology like the Ys coming out of Berlin and Texas. That would be a better comparison. We were told the front and rear castings and structural pack will noticeably improve handling.

Did you actually listen to the discussion? Zerosum literally said pick your margin, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40% whatever you think is valid and do the math yourself. He gave his own number but also made it clear you should pick what you think is good.

He also explained why margin on the sale was only a part of the story.

Let's break this down:

If Zerosum33 is telling us to pick the margin we think Tesla will get on Megapacks for any given time period, then it only stands to reason he is also telling us to pick the production volumes for any given period that Tesla will achieve out of their stated production capacity. Because no one will know the volume until it happens.

If he's asking us to pick whatever margin and whatever production volume we think will materialize, then it begs the question, what has he added to the discussion? Because most of us already knew it was a very promising business, we just don't have a lot of clarity yet on the specifics.

I think what would be informative is if someone who finds his analysis compelling could tell us what specific data points he has added (including the sources of that new data) for us to make more informed opinions. I'm bullish on Tesla Energy and think the margins will be strong, but I didn't find his margin analysis to have enough hard data to be useful.

That graph looks a bit scary, so I googled a bit about BYD’s cars:
and here a couple of links about their pure BEV offering:
I don’t think there’s a lot of overlap in the markets of BYD and Tesla.
In Europe it would be competition for Dacia.
Agree. It does show how much TAM Tesla is missing by only selling premium/luxury segment with MY/M3. If Tesla offered the lower price point vehicle, that graphic might look different. But kudos to BYD for designing the product and managing the supply chain to sell volume into that segment!

Model Y new US inventory on EV-CPO has gone from almost zero at the end of the year to 800+ in a week

More price cuts are coming

Since Giga Texas is making 3000 cars/week in addition to whatever amount of cars they make in Fremont weekly it's not surprising that some cars end up in inventory.

Near-future quarterly financial projections

If inventory grew with >> 3000/week and kept on doing that then I might start to worry.

So did I and so far I likes what I sees.
You're entitled to that, but so is anyone who has a contrary view. Neither is the point though.

Blaming MSM or FUD for the Elon backers who became unhappy with his actions in 2022 is certainly not always the case, definitely not for myself, and likely for many others.

i love Warren Buffet. amazing guy. here is what he says about Tesla and Elon in a charlie Rose interview. full interview definitely worth watching

Good interview! For those short on time, I particularly recommend spending 5 minutes and watching from 5:25-10:40 where Buffet shares his breakthrough moment at a very early age in terms of how to invest. He started at age 11 putting his entire net worth of $147 into 3 shares of one American company.

Dang! I can only imagine how many shares of Tesla I would own today if I had focused on investing starting at age 11!

Because I still have a large TSLA position, I'm grateful for investors like Leo. While Elon was dumping billions of $ in shares, investors like him bought and kept it from falling. If those investors get tired of this and dump their holdings like someone did the past couple weeks, expect a rout far worse than what we've seen.
Didn’t Leo tweet something about some complex trade a couple months back? I’m guessing Leo might have had to dump a lot of shares when his aggressive attempts to raise his stake went South (which presumably his magic time machine should have prevented 🧐)—contributing to the rout. It will be interesting to see what any discovery might show.

Maybe he did buy a bit back later as he says. Still, a lawsuit from him is one reason why I don’t want him to have a large stake. Another being the possibility the CCP strong arms him into using his shares to influence Tesla or Elon in a counterproductive way—he’s based in Hong Kong iirc. Though his lack of industry relevant knowledge and crackpot ideas are other reasons to be wary of his having much sway.

… When I sold most my TSLA position in December, I capitulated on Elon, not on Tesla. I have no doubt that's what many others have done as well.
Ah well, that’s fine then. You go ahead and keep venting your spleen, if it helps you redirect your recriminations away from yourself—or not. Be careful that the poison you pour in the well doesn’t fester and curdle inside you when the manips you’ve aided, witlessly it seems, turn and push the stock price in the other direction.

As for me, I pay attention to Tesla’s fantastic execution rather than getting hypnotized by the scaremongering of his enemies. I’ll keep holding and I’ll vote my shares in Elon’s favor.
Be careful what you wish for. You might get what you ask.
Likewise.

Some / most people on this forum feel that Elon deserves a pass this past year because of his prior accomplishments. His net deeds are undoubtedly positive for this world, so maybe that's justified for anyone who bought substantially below $100 prior to 2022, when Elon put everything he had into Tesla.

The expectation for recent investors like Leo, though, is for everyone working at Tesla *today* to put in their best efforts. This goes 10x more for the CEO, and one of the CEO's duties is to act in the best interests of shareholders. This past year has been a massive fail. No new investor expects the CEO to unnecessarily drive the share price down or alienate customers, the key being *unnecessary*.

All investors, new and old, deserve the kind of CEO that Elon was prior to 2022. If he is not willing to do this, he should pass the torch to someone who will. Like Leo, my preference is for Elon to be the CEO he used to be, but that's not in my control. He sees no end to Elon 2.0, so he's simply exercising the options available.

Because I still have a large TSLA position, I'm grateful for investors like Leo. While Elon was dumping billions of $ in shares, investors like him bought and kept it from falling. If those investors get tired of this and dump their holdings like someone did the past couple weeks, expect a rout far worse than what we've seen.

Anyone who feels former Elon supporters are turning on him just because TSLA is down, ask whether Apple investors are similarly turning on Tim Cook because AAPL is down. When I sold most my TSLA position in December, I capitulated on Elon, not on Tesla. I have no doubt that's what many others have done as well.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get what you ask.
And on the flip side, no one is thanking Tim Cook for the buying opportunity of the biennium. Be careful what you wish for.

Curious - would Apple ever work on a Heat Pump or Smart Electrical Panel?

Edit: I read this primer, below, on batteries and CES this morning and had this question.

Curious - would Apple ever work on a Heat Pump or Smart Electrical Panel?

Edit: I read this primer, below, on batteries and CES this morning and had this question.

not Apple, but Google with it's Nest brand could ....

That's a convenient excuse, but Elon's former supporters are not influenced by that. This is what I mean when I said I capitulated on Elon, but don't see people turning on Tim Cook. They did not get turned off from Elon because of MSM or haters or anyone amplifying anything.

I judged Elon based on his actions and words. It's unreasonable to believe Elon's former supporters were influenced by MSM or SP drops when they weren't in 2019 when the stock was in the dumps and there was even more FUD. You may not agree with their reasoning, but it's denial to think it's not related to Elon's actions.
It’s not so different now. Just go back and read some of the comments about the 420 buyout and pedo guy back then. Lots of complaining about and blaming the pre-22 Elon you want back.

I held, though the bulk of my Tesla shares were underwater for about 2 years then—at times the shares‘ value was below half of what I paid. Elon had my support then and he has it now.

You and Leo are misguiding yourselves when you assert ‘old’ investors are unsupportive of ‘new’ investors. Those of us who held are still here and those who didn’t mostly aren’t. We—those who held—have been encouraging to new buyers and unstinting in offering the best of what we know and that is usually “Buy and hold."

Many of us don’t think highly of speculation and for the good reasons we seen in the last few months.

And many of us will vote against hot headed, bad ideas like putting Ross (who can offer little useful guidance for Tesla’s business activities) on the board or messing with Elon‘s role at Tesla.

Last edited: