Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But they didn't meet numbers in Q4. They were well below their October guidance of "just under 50%” for delivery growth. 40% is not just under 50%.
Umm. The guidance was done prior to anyone knowing China would abandon the zero Covid policy. This isn't a miss, just an unknowable event. 40% increase ought to be super good in anyone's view.

Umm. The guidance was done prior to anyone knowing China would abandon the zero Covid policy. This isn't a miss, just an unknowable event. 40% increase ought to be super good in anyone's view.
That cannot be accurate. Abandoning zero covid led to everyone being allowed to go out. So if anything it should have helped sales. The 1st step to solving a problem is accepting there is one. Constantly trying to blame external factors does not help. Chinese customers are wanting cheaper models and Tesla has to address that market. That is why the MY SR is the best seller rather than LR or P.

That cannot be accurate. Abandoning zero covid led to everyone being allowed to go out. So if anything it should have helped sales. The 1st step to solving a problem is accepting there is one. Constantly trying to blame external factors does not help. Chinese customers are wanting cheaper models and Tesla has to address that market. That is why the MY SR is the best seller rather than LR or P.
When millions of people were sick, they weren't purchasing cars, or even thinking about it.

Anyway China and European city markets will soon be due for a smaller hatchback. Renault Clio sized cars are everywhere in Paris, Rome, etc. Europeans, Chinese and Indian citizen of traffic packed cities need a commuter car that can park in tight spots. This is the next logical step for Tesla after they filled the luxury segment, SUV segment then pick up segment. City cars and transit vans. Renault Clio evolved from being a 3.6 meters length car to a 4.05 over a decade. Tesla might want to develop something a bit smaller than the 4.4meters length Model 3 to expand its market with a reduced price tag. Cut margins to fill the cheaper car segment or create a cheaper hatchback car that is the question right now before a recession. Not sure what is the right answer for the next 2 years.

Anyway China and European city markets will soon be due for a smaller hatchback. Renault Clio sized cars are everywhere in Paris, Rome, etc. Europeans, Chinese and Indian citizen of traffic packed cities need a commuter car that can park in tight spots. This is the next logical step for Tesla after they filled the luxury segment, SUV segment then pick up segment. City cars and transit vans. Renault Clio evolved from being a 3.6 meters length car to a 4.05 over a decade. Tesla might want to develop something a bit smaller than the 4.4meters length Model 3 to expand its market with a reduced price tag. Cut margins to fill the cheaper car segment or create a cheaper hatchback car that is the question right now before a recession. Not sure what is the right answer for the next 2 years.
Regarding the city cars. I hope the cybertruck is a success and it will evolve in a design for the small car. Maybe like these examples:
tesla-cybertruck-hatchback.jpg

cyber-hatch-696x392.jpg

Uhhhh….that is not at all what has happened in china over the last two months. CV has ripped through the population causing a serious temporary drag in economic activity due to both a disrupted-by-CV workforce and much of the population avoiding going out. We should see the situation reverse soon, as CV wave has already touched the majority of tier 1 city populations.

Pickups tops the list but to see MY becoming the 6th best selling beating ICE is gratifying. Why not buy the safest car that doesn't use fossil fuels AT ALL. Hybrids use gas and are dumb IMHO

Those pickup numbers count the entire family of pickups from each company (F-Series, Silverado, Ram) even though they come in different sizes and shapes. If an F-250 crew cab with an 8-foot bed, Platinum trim, and diesel engine is counted with a base F-150 with a 6-foot bed and gas engine then Model 3 and Y definitely should be counted together for the comparison.

3+Y combined US sales in ‘22 was 464k, in 4th place slightly behind the Ram family. Depending on the rate of growth at Giga Texas, 3+Y might pass the F-Series to claim the #1 spot in 2023. The Y by itself has a chance at passing both the RAV4 and the Ram and Silverado families.

1. Ford F-Series: 653,957 units – down 9.9%
2. Chevrolet Silverado: 513,354 – down 1.2%
3. Ram pickup: 468,344 – down 17.7%
4. Toyota RAV4: 399,941 – down 1.9%
5. Toyota Camry: 295,201 – down 5.9%

You're right, car buyers generally don't expect a refund from the dealership when MSRP changes or there is a new incentive offered. It's a done deal. That should surprise no one. But what about the case where two different new car buyers at a legacy dealership buy the same car, with the same options, on the same day, and pay wildly different prices. It comes down to negotiating skill and potentially even dealership sexism, racism or what religion you happen to be.

It's one of the most distasteful things that happens at legacy dealerships, everyone gets a different price, so it baffles my mind how people think a simple price adjustment is somehow wrong and that previous buyers should be (compensated.
(just to be clear, this system seems absolutely crazy for anyone living outside US.
One of the many aspects of American life we don't understand :))

Price cuts globally in 2023 so earnings/vehicle will probably drop from 10k to about 6k. With 200M vehicle sold, earning is 12B, nearly same as 2022. How about that?
Would you please show your math and also clarify your numbers? Is earnings per vehicle referring to net income divided by vehicles delivered? If so have you accounted for continued operating leverage offsetting price cuts as the deliveries grow?

Are you accounting for other factors like mix shifting towards Y? Any customers taking advantage of lower prices to get higher trims? Declining input costs? New factory efficiencies? $45/kWh IRA battery production credits? Tesla Energy? Greater FSD revenue than in 2022?

Last edited:
This.
To add some color, the Renault Zoe shares the same dimension and exterior with the Clio, and has been one of the greatest BEV model sold in Europe in these first years of transition. Now every OEM is pushing bigger cars but I feel they just want better margins: I have had my Zoe for more than 2 years and I'm quite happy with it, I use it for 95% of my trips.
The 3 is a big (long but also very wide) car, it's a very different market segment.

Didn’t listen to it, but I’ve been skeptical ever since I heard him talk about finding Tesla’s cost basis on a web page. As a software developer, the entire idea sounds so preposterous I can’t take it seriously. You don’t give web developers super confidential data to build a web page. It’s just bizarre. If Tesla actually did this it would shake my faith in the entire company. (Obviously mistakes happen, but if a lot of this sort of thing piled up it would be very concerning)

I think he does wrestle out some interesting ideas, but he’s like the opposite of a FUDster. He exaggerates the good and ignores warning signs of questionable sources.
I am also a software developer and it doesn't sound preposterous to me. It is not unusual to have an API that returns a json object containing a lot more data than you need to render the web page. This kind of mistake happens, even among the very best software engineers.

So I think the data is real. It wasn't fabricated. It didn't just come out of nowhere. However, the context is missing. We don't know what that margin data actually represents. Is it an old estimate? Is it dummy data? How did someone arrive at those numbers and are they numbers that Tesla actually uses?