Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And then you here people saying the price cut only causes a one week delivery wait time extra.
That’s the result after a few days… Let’s see next month 🔥

And that 2-5 week period includes Chinese New Year when the factory will be closed. So given a 1-week shutdown in December there might not be any movement at all.

Wow, I recognized the avatar from this thread.
So sad and another reminder to everybody, in case they needed it, not to over-leverage themselves

Condolences Claudia @pz1975 :(

I'm not sure this story passes the sniff test. Why would IDRA group send a 9,000 ton gigapress from Italy to China when their owners, LK Tech, are based in China? One-off rush job? Why not build the 9Kt press in Ningbo? It's only 230 km by road to Giga Shanghai.

LK Machinery | The World Premiere of Dreampress 9000-ton Giga Press die-casting machine | Apr 23, 2021

csm_Slider_Corp_LK_7fc968a485.jpg

Ever watch the movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster?

Why build one... when you can build 2 for double the price!

What if everyone assumed the 9000 Gigapress was for CT only, when it actually was meant for Gen3 also? 2in1 sort of thing.
There's no way they are making a CT for Asian market, makes no sense there.
The Cybertruck is definitely a long shot in Asia. Would likely be primarily exported from there, but I’m sure there is some local demand.

If this is for Tesla China; the next gen Tesla is almost certainly the end product. Unless there is some other unannounced product?

Wow, I recognized the avatar from this thread.
So sad and another reminder to everybody, in case they needed it, not to over-leverage themselves

Condolences Claudia @pz1975 :(
Wow. RIP. If you need help call 1-800-273-TALK and get some help

The Cybertruck is definitely a long shot in Asia. Would likely be primarily exported from there, but I’m sure there is some local demand.

If this is for Tesla China; the next gen Tesla is almost certainly the end product. Unless there is some other unannounced product?

I agree, the CT being built in Giga Shanghai doesn't make sense. If this second 9000T press is indeed going to Tesla then this is MASSIVE news, because it could really only be for the new compact Gen3 car. Very interesting.... 🤔

Because The Boring Company is owned by Elon, not by Tesla? Why would Tesla answer a question about a private company on their company's earnings call?
The Boring Company is 90% owned by Elon, but not all of it. In this context we should be clear, shouldn't we? Control, absolutely, ownership, not quite.

There's no way they are making a CT for Asian market, makes no sense there. The US is the largest market for trucks, that makes sense.

Reminds me of @The Accountant's parable from a few days ago:
“It’s early 1900’s. Two competing shoe companies want to expand their market reach.
So they each send their top sales guy to a third world country to scout out the potential.

After a day or so, Salesman #1 finds a telegraph office and types out:
‘Research complete. Stop. Situation hopeless. Stop. No one wears shoes here'.

Salesman #2 does his research and heads to the same telegraph office. He types out this message to his boss:
‘Research complete. Stop. Incredible opportunity. Stop. No one wears shoes here'.
Just swap "wears" with "drives" and "shoe(s)" with "truck(s)". :cool:

That said, I'd still put my money on it being for a subcompact car.

Would it make any sense for CT to Australia?

I doubt there's enough demand for the CT outside the US to warrant an overseas factory, it would be much more efficient to simply make more CT's in Austin (build a second line maybe) and export them.

No, if this is a Tesla press and it is indeed going to China then I feel it must be for something other than CT. The 3/Y don't need it, neither would the S/X, so it's most likely for a NEW vehicle IMHO. Which would be the compact car, or Gen3 car. Or the Model Q. :p

Warren playing snakes&ladders ... selling BYD and buying TSLA ;)
Buffett has a thing called his "too hard pile." Most of his investments are basically toll bridges. He doesn't shoot "fish in a barrel" ... he "dumps 'em out, waits for them to stop wiggling around and then shoots 'em." With that in mind, I still think it unlikely that Buffett is buying TSLA ... but it's far more likely now than a year ago.

Buffett/Munger/BRK invested in BYD because they have a great CEO - not because they love the business. They like businesses that "any idiot could run ... because eventually one will be."

I doubt there's enough demand for the CT outside the US to warrant an overseas factory, it would be much more efficient to simply make more CT's in Austin (build a second line maybe) and export them.

No, if this is a Tesla press and it is indeed going to China then I feel it must be for something other than CT. The 3/Y don't need it, neither would the S/X, so it's most likely for a NEW vehicle IMHO. Which would be the compact car, or Gen3 car. Or the Model Q. :p
It seems it's goona take high vol Model Q to destroy TSLAQ ;)
March 1st ....

A compact Gen3 car is absolutely essential for certain markets. I have no doubt one is in the works but it's just a matter of time before Tesla chooses to roll it out. People in many parts of the world do not need the kind of range found on Model 3 nor do they need the size as parking would be a nightmare.

As far as cannibalization, I have no doubt Tesla could have HIGHER margins on these smaller cars due to smaller batteries (most expensive component).

I'm sure the sub 30k car is still a long term goal for Elon and I think the business is at a point where this can actually happen. It will be, yet another, game changer.

A compact Gen3 car is absolutely essential for certain markets. I have no doubt one is in the works but it's just a matter of time before Tesla chooses to roll it out. People in many parts of the world do not need the kind of range found on Model 3 nor do they need the size as parking would be a nightmare.

As far as cannibalization, I have no doubt Tesla could have HIGHER margins on these smaller cars due to smaller batteries (most expensive component).

I'm sure the sub 30k car is still a long term goal for Elon and I think the business is at a point where this can actually happen. It will be, yet another, game changer.
Yea, it's absolutely the most crucial car to getting to that 20m yearly goal.