Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anybody's casually wondering why the SP is being capped at $123.17, the Closing SP on Dec 30, 2022 was $123.18 (yes, hedgies are THAT A.R.)

So any move above that SP puts TSLA into positive territoy for the year... Then David Faber et.al can't croon about it being 'down for the year'. :p

View attachment 894493

Let's GO! :D

123.88 as of writing this
Here we are
Finally 2023 is the year we needed
We are +20% since the opening low from the price cut news. Let that sink in. Last time this happened? 2020? 2021? ;)

no, main takeaway is everyone is being too short sighted
That ship sailed many years ago...for instance: What company will be in 2nd place in about 5 years? I have no idea as 2nd place will most likely be so far behind, scooping up the market scraps with everyone else, it will most likely be a tie between several different companies having slivers of the overall market share pie.

Great news that Tesla has a work-around that probably optimizes margin at the same time (there should have probably never been any doubt), and disappointing at the same time because the only thing preventing new EV customers from enjoying 61 additional miles per charge while unnecessarily causing more demand on the Tesla Supercharger Network by restricting Tesla Model Y range is our own ‘Climate Friendly’ government. Hope we see some modifications to those restrictions soon, as the ‘Climate’ at the supercharger stations and at the crappy charging stations is gonna get real busy with all these shorter range EVs on the road. If Mayor Pete was sincere about wanting us all to be able to charge at home, having more range from the available new EV fleet would go hand-in-hand with growing the VW Dieselgate EV charging network.
Supposedly battery supply is going to be the limiting factor on vehicle growth in the next couple years. If so, selling the standard range Y would allow production of more vehicles in total.

Tesla can grow the Supercharger network faster and more easily than vehicle production, so if needed I expect Tesla will be able to keep up even if a shift towards slower-charging vehicles occurs.

Nice SP action.

If the dog was wagging the tail, one might assume GigaTexas expansion and Indonesian rumors were being positive catalysts.

Looks more like they're 'walking the dog' this a.m. Taking those puppies :p

TSLA.2023-01-11.10-23.HI2.png

'cuz churn is how dey make monies...

Model S and Model Y scoring "Best in Class" 2022 according to EuroNCAP crash tests (with photos of the tests).
Now THAT is good advertising.
Best in Class Cars of 2022 | Euro NCAP
Phantastic. Scored even in the executive class.
And the pedestrian emergency stop is finally adressed, check out the videos.

I mean they passed Volvo, Benz, 7 series et al, PLUS the S scored higher there than the Y!

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-11 um 16.34.57.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-11 um 16.35.17.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-11 um 16.35.10.jpg

Last edited:
This has been stated by other poster(s) but I will restate their position with my words for hopefully added clarity.
As a company grows in size, new factories have less and less impact on margins.

When Shanghai was ramping - we had 1 efficient site (Fremont) and 1 inefficient site (Shanghai)
With Berlin/Austin ramping, we now have 2 efficient sites and 2 inefficient sites.
By Dec of this year, we will have 4 efficient sites, unless Tesla ramps 4 new site at once, the drag of 1 or 2 new sites will be less as we now have 4 efficient sites producing 2M cars.

Keep in mind that much of the 50% growth year on year is expansion at existing efficient sites where there is virtually no drag on margins.
Look at Shanghai, it produced about 480m cars in 2021 and 725m in 2022 -There was no drag on margins from Shanghai in 2021 and 2022 from what I can see.
I'm not sure you are entirely correct on this. As a first order approximation it is the amount of new production capacity that corresponds to the financial drag term. For sure there will be some non-linearities in that as the chunk-size associated with that capacity varies, and the biggest chunkiness is establishing the sites themselves. The historical effect may of course have been masked by other factors. The two greatest factors are of course capital frugality and speed of execution. In that respect Shanghai was unusual as it got started using batteries from elsewhere (perfect capital frugality), but also a lot of stuff initially flowed in from Fremont, and was operating in just one year (great execution speed). The Berlin and Austin starts have aimed for greater vertical integration (even if not fully operational yet) and so that may partly explain their impact on GM%.

I guess we'll see.

1673451471532.png

Attachments

• 1673450766232.png
    1673450766232.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
here is what i see in video

1) Tesla pulls over into left lane signaled well in advance and stopped abruptly. ( we don't know why the car stopped , he claimed it was the cars fault, i call BS)
2) Car behind was travelling fast , did not brake in time, hit Tesla ( his fault)
3) other cars not leaving safe stopping distance also crashed (their fault)
3) Case closed
In addition, I would say that it was a good example of 7 vehicles that either don't have AEB or the AEB system they have isn't very good. (I think it looked like some of them slowed down and had minimal impact, but some of them didn't appear to slow down at all.)

Assuming that there wasn't a mechanical/electrical failure of the lead Tesla there were 8 drivers in a row "asleep" at the wheel.

Do people really have a hard time understanding that the The Boring Company is not Tesla? It doesn't matter if The Boring Company is making a profit, or losing money, on each ride. Any person that decides to buy a Tesla after a ride cost Tesla nothing.
Although Boring Co is not directly a profit center for Tesla, the two companies have so many synergies that it does matter if TBC is making a profit. TBC's growth and success will catalyze Tesla's growth and success. Personally I think TBC's $600M funding round and full unanimous government approval for expansion in Las Vegas was one of the top ten most important events for Tesla in 2022.

Those who are doubtful about robotaxi network deployment in the next decade should especially be paying attention to TBC progress. Even if Tesla Network is more than a decade away from achieving commercial robotaxi deployment on surface streets, it should be vastly easier to get working well in an environment that's closed-loop, private, underground, well-lit, robotaxi-only, and well-marked with clear lane lines.

Furthermore, faster robotaxis will earn more money and displace more demand for gasoline, all else being equal. Underground urban robotaxis able to bypass traffic, stops, and turns could hit average speeds of perhaps 60 mph. Surface robotaxis might get 20 mph average. Loop thus roughly triples the value of Tesla urban robotaxis. Higher speed is a win-win because it means more paid passenger-miles per day and higher pricing power because of shorter trip times making for a higher value service for the customer.

Tesla, and only Tesla, is making the best electric vehicles for Loop usage and might make custom vehicles for Loops in the future. A bigger 12-person vehicle and smaller 2-person pods are both needed for optimal mass transit service.

The speed and cost of Loop construction therefore matters greatly to Tesla's long-term fundamentals and mission success. Las Vegas is just the beginning. TBC is already working on Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Austin and other locations. They're envisioning someday having an interconnected national system. How will it affect how the public, potential Tesla employees, customers, and government partners view Tesla and Elon Musk? What will it mean for Tesla demand generation and EV adoption rates? How will the advent of intercity 120+ mph private underground vehicle travel affect demand for short-haul airplane travel, another major and rapidly growing sector consuming petroleum and causing substantial environmental damage and spewing air pollution into people's lungs? I wish more TSLA investors would be looking at these big picture questions.

Last edited: