Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no homeschooling going on at 0329, so I’m here for a bit.

44 TeslaPoints to whoever first demonstrates the parallel between what we have just seen from Tesla and what Henry Ford did between 1908 and 1913…and on through 1924.

Nothing new under the sun. But it sure is shining brightly.

Elsewhere - pretty good news this week from LKAB, but we’ve little in the way of details as to just *what* melange of rare earth metals they’ve discovered. Many are neither rare nor exceptionally useful, particularly in batteries/automotive.

OMG.

Coup De grace indeed.

Tesla turning profits with these prices I assume.

Fifty percent YoY is not the question here, what are the EPS?

Even the Model S Plaid back to 115K.

WOW.
Yeah, Tesla has literally just decapitated a big portion of legacy auto, maybe all of it. OMG. Coup de grace indeed. Price parity has essentially been met.

My built-in-May-2020 MY (white, LR, 20" wheels, FSD) was $69K, taxes included (I live in Arizona). That same build now is giving me a price $72,630 (taxes not included). At the time FSD was $10K, now it's $15K. It seems like the adjustment we see today reflects only the FSD price increase of $5K, but we know so many economies of scale have been achieved since then. With prices like these Tesla will once again sell every vehicle they produce, and with appx 2 million vehicles expected to be sold in 2023, margins will not take much of a hit.

Cheap EVs for everyone has always been part of the Master Plan. Elon is making good on his promise. Wow. This Friday the 13th is really really bad luck for legacy auto.

Excludes software and options, so FSD, wheels and even paint may not change eligibility. Everyone seems to ignoring that part. Margins may actually rise, with all those plus battery and charging credits included.
They should consider upping the premium connectivity charge as a margin juicer, even if it's just starting with cars sold in 2023. 2 million cars x 12 months x $10 increase/month = $240M. If you reach back to cars that weren't promised free connectivity (pre-2018) it would at least double that.

A normally very anti tesla group reacting in shock and awe at the new prices lol
One of the comments calling out state/local incentives - can add to savings & depend on car price, improve as price lowers...

Marvin2021
Prolific Commenter
+2·7 hr. ago

Damn I just saw, NJ had a $2k rebate on the model 3. But now it dropped the price to under the $45k limit and Nj gives back $4k for buying a model 3 base
So $43,390 base model 3 minus $4k NJ rebate - $7500 fed tax off, and no sales tax. Model 3 rwd out the door is $32,490 and no sales tax. That is kinda hard to say no to.

Tracker is showing Model Y US inventory dropped from 1800 to 1000 overnight. I'm not thinking the punishment today will be too severe. Hopefully that's not wishful thinking.

FSD take rate may increase from here as well.

Last edited:
Not surprised... At this point I don't know what could surprise. Tesla will be lackluster, dangerous, unsafe, and have demand and production problems according to the media right up until they are the biggest auto producer in revenue and profits, and then in volume as well potentially. We are seeing the commitment of Tesla to move forward and adapt while driving towards the mission. The media fight and the commitment to achievement of the mission are the opposing forces that help create the intense volatility around Tesla and TSLA.

This is a moment might really show this. Short term this move might be interpreted as weakness, uncertainty, or otherwise as a negative by the market, but long term I believe this will be a moment that shows the power of Tesla's commitment to the future.
Unfortunately, as someone pointed out earlier, the only strategy remaining to the not-competition is to tear down Tesla via their advertising-paid co-conspirators.

Elsewhere - pretty good news this week from LKAB, but we’ve little in the way of details as to just *what* melange of rare earth metals they’ve discovered. Many are neither rare nor exceptionally useful, particularly in batteries/automotive.
It's a bit OT, but anyway. They claim to have found one of the largest rare earth materials deposit in northern Sweden. Which is good, because usually it's only China that has these and being less dependent on China is probably a good thing for the western world and these are used for motors in EVs. We don't really know what they found, except that it rare earths elements. My guess is they found neodymium and/or the atoms named after the city of Ytterby(ytterbium, terbium, erbium, yttrium etc). One reason China is so big on these is because mining these is very dirty and bad for the environment, which doesn't bode well for the time to get permission to mine these in slow to move Europe/Sweden. My guess is that maybe we will see of these being mined in about 10 years, but it will not make Sweden as rich as Norway anytime soon.

Last edited:
Finally the website mentions the $7500 tax credit although I am puzzled why they dont mention it in the potential savings popup. Still it is there and now people that dont follow legislation and looking at a Model 3 or Model Y will see it. I am surprised by the amount of some of the cuts. Weird to me that the Model Y was lowered to $52,990 rather than $54,990. I guess it allows people to pick a color and still be under the $55K cap.

This is going to put a load of hurt on competitors.

I wonder what the new price will be on the Off The Menu (OTM) SR-AWD Model Y

Looks like it could be right under $50k if Tesla wants to call it $49,990.

View attachment 895115

The interesting thing to me is that the 4680 Model Y disappeared from inventory overnight along with these price changes. Maybe they're planning to officially add it to the configurator? It would make a huge splash if it was priced under $50k.