Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am totally onboard with price cuts to accomplish volume target.

However, in the last few months, about a third, depending on how I count, of my frieds who are long term die hard at least 5-7 year Tesla owners/supporters, switched to other brands due to lacking service. (Gone to Ford (gas), Rivian, Mercedes (EV) and Nissan (gas) respectively). None of them are bothered by Elon's political and Twitter dealings in terms of their choice of car btw.

I agree with my friends that service is down, based on my own experience. (Don't worry I am not switching, too much of a supporter of the mission and love the cars too much.) Two concerning things I have personally experienced increasingly: 1) Tesla scheduling multiple appointments for a repair and either rescheduling last minute or not having the parts on hand, only performing partial repair, rescheduling for the rest. Often scheduling ranger service to an old adress of mine, even though it has happened before and been corrected multiple times. 2) arbitrarily refusing to perform warranty repairs, then sometimes doing it.

I understand that my personal experience could be random, but it seems too large of a portion leaving Tesla in short order to be a complete coincidence.
If what I am seeing is representative, a small improvement in service could have yielded the same sales volume going forward with lesser price cuts. Service experience takes time and price cuts are immediate, I get that. However, with production scaling up and and interest rates going up, Tesla probably knew by summer 2022 that large price cuts were coming. That would have been a perfect time to start improving service IMO. Nothing necessarily costly. Even just policy changes. For example, if they wished to cut warranty cost, could have lowered the warranty coverage in the purchase contracts instead not honoring existing warranty obligations. It's not like they were out of cash and needed to cut warranty cost this minute.

It is in the past now. The good news is that with an improvement in service, demand can go way higher. That is a big leak in the system that can probably easily be sealed.

Last edited:
I am totally onboard with price cuts to accomplish volume target.

However, in the last few months, about a third, depending on how I count, of my frieds who are long term die hard at least 5-7 year Tesla owners/supporters, switched to other brands due to lacking service. (Gone to Ford (gas), Rivian, Mercedes (EV) and Nissan (gas) respectively). None of them are bothered by Elon's political and Twitter dealings in terms of their choice of car btw.

I agree with my friends that service is down, based on my own experience. (Don't worry I am not switching, too much of a supporter of the mission and love the cars too much.) Two concerning things I have personally experienced increasingly: 1) Tesla scheduling multiple appointments for a repair and either rescheduling last minute or not having the parts on hand, only performing partial repair, rescheduling for the rest. Often scheduling ranger service to an old adress of mine, even though it has happened before and been corrected multiple times. 2) arbitrarily refusing to perform warranty repairs, then sometimes doing it.

I understand that my personal experience could be random, but it seems too large of a portion leaving Tesla in short order to be a complete coincidence.
If what I am seeing is representative, a small improvement in service could have yielded the same sales volume going forward with lesser price cuts. Service experience takes time and price cuts are immediate, I get that. However, with production scaling up and and interest rates going up, Tesla probably knew by summer 2022 that large price cuts were coming. That would have been a perfect time to start improving service IMO. Nothing necessarily costly. Even just policy changes. For example, if they wished to cut warranty cost, could have lowered the warranty coverage in the purchase contracts instead not honoring existing warranty obligations. It's not like they were out of cash and needed to cut warranty cost this minute.

It is in the past now. The good news is that with an improvement in service demand can go way higher. That is a big leak in the system that can probably easily be sealed.

@Olle, might just be the Orlando service center. Tampa is great, and they're getting ready to open a St. Petersburg location (more like Pinellas Park).

I don't understand the S/X price drop though. They should have increased to make up for lost margins. Not as price sensitive as the 3/Y.
Writing as an X owner who's gingerly entering the market for a new X--S/X buyers are absolutely price sensitive. Before the cut, to buy a new X with my current 2019 X's spec would have cost a full $30k more. The price creep was as absurd as that of the 3/Y.

Also, I know the R1S isn't a full-on competitor to the X, but it's in the ballpark (as much as any vehicle will ever be in the X's ballpark) and was a full $50k cheaper at one point.

One presumes that with the S/X being made available in other markets now, Tesla is looking to goose sales of those models at least modestly, as well. So I'm happy to see them included in the pricing adjustments, and not just because I want one soonish.

Franz stating that Cybertruck will begin production in June per his comments on Ride the Lightning podcast over the weekend. Some small tidbits about design as well. Front doors and perhaps rear will open like the front X doors.

Noticed most of the used Model Y's LR on the Tesla website in the US have the acceleration boost and FSD.

One way Tesla will not be hit as hard with the dropping used car prices.

Also, they really should make people more aware of the acceleration boost for the Model Y on purchase, assuming it does not effect the price for the tax credit threshold as a software upgrade. Good way to build a "performance" model Y under the price threshold. Buy a long range, upgrade after purchase with the acceleration boost and buy a nice set of aftermarket wheels/tires and the spoiler. This is what I would do today if I was ordering my model Y.

Regarding Gen 3, I was thinking back on a sentiment by Tesla of years ago to the effect of how each new factory will have its own designs, unique to their market.

What if Gen 3 results in three new models, one for each of the GFs?

China, Germany, and Texas/US could conceivably develop a model for each of their markets which may share many design elements to reduce production costs by economies of scale. (drivetrain, castings, etc.) Yet, each would utilize individual stampings for bodywork which results in three models with completely different appearance.

Noticed most of the used Model Y's LR on the Tesla website in the US have the acceleration boost and FSD.

Also, they really should make people more aware of the acceleration boost for the Model Y on purchase, assuming it does not effect the price for the tax credit threshold as a software upgrade. Good way to build a "performance" model Y under the price threshold. Buy a long range, upgrade after purchase with the acceleration boost and buy a nice set of aftermarket wheels/tires and the spoiler. This is what I would do today if I was ordering my model Y.
We got the acceleration boost as soon as we got the trailer. I told my wife the extra horsepower and torque would be handy for towing. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 😂

I wish they would list the horsepower and torque for a model Y with AB. Would be nice to know,,, and probably sell some cars.

4C52FDB8-DDA8-4295-A586-DB77FF42152E.jpeg

And it's quite the boost, I had upgraded a previous one and loved it. Now we have a MY Performance, still another step faster. It's a gateway drug. I have visions of a Plaid or a Roadster especially. What's the cure??? More Cowbell?

And screw the Powerwalls - get a MegaPack for the home factory then line my north wall with solar panels at eye level. Why on earth do we put them on the rooftops (if you have some yard space)? And ground installs still elevate them over your head $$$ and not a solution for HOAs.

Why not run the wires in underground conduit. Optional panel tilt that take up some access pathway from behind. And heck, for that matter, why so big? How about 18" squares instead that interlock. And then get the banks and installers out of it completely. Just hire an electrician if needed, and dig a trench. There must be some safety issue or something I'm missing. But why aren't solar panels totally plug and play in low-cost volume? The wiring should be about as simple as a Morris Code project kit. It's probably some law preventing this huh?

More EVs, the better. One ICE displaced. Hope you and many others in many industries find more ways to switch until ICE is truly niche.

I hope that with competition over capabilities, EVs become overwhelmingly the best choice in most situations.
I agree with this sentiment. I'm glad, @nativewolf , that you found an EV truck that met your needs. Tesla's mission is to help move the world to sustainable-energy based transportation. Elon has stated that one of Tesla's goals was to spur other manufacturers on to help achieve this goal.

The F150 Lightning isn't perfect, it's build engineering is questionable, it's efficiency isn't what it could be, it's charge times could be better, etc... but you know what?

It also doesn't burn gas.

I hope it's incredibly popular and Ford sells a ton of em, forcing them to scale up and aim higher for the next model. Seems like we should be happy that a fellow forum member found a relatively new EV solution for an admittedly demanding role....

The main concern is that Tesla may end up reducing the SR+ further after the tax credit expires Q1 just to make room for the LR. Then the SR becomes a real drag on margins.

Not if you can only buy one with EAP, or lock in a 12-mth subscription to FSD. Lots of ways to skin this cat. We don't even know what the battery sourcing rules will be. If necessary, Giga Nevada can just start making 2170-based SR+ packs again. I highly doubt Tesla suddenly becomes less agile than the Treasury Dept... :p

We should know more about the rules by April 1st. My best guess is the 'foreign-sourcing' rules don't kick in until the new CATL N.America plant is supplying LFP packs to Ford. It'll be fine.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason Tesla can't make a 4680 battery pack for the SR, there are 3 chemistries which could work, I don't see a reason to rule any chemistry out.

A pack made of 4680 cells made by Tesla works for the IRA.

The interesting question is whether the Model 3 Highland has a 4680 structural pack.
As I said above, I think it mostly depends on availability of cells. If they have enough 4680s to start thinking about shipping the M2SR with 4680s, then it might make sense. If they have a surplus of 2170s maybe they switch back to that for the SR.

They switched to the LFP because it’s less expensive per kWh. The rebates change that in weird ways. For both the consumer end and the manufacturing credits. Might just mean they shift all LFP to Megapacks and overseas products for a while. They might backfill the SR with a 2170 or 4680 SR version, but maybe it doesn’t make sense.

I suspect they don’t have enough 2170s to convert them all over to LR so they will keep shipping the SR. But if they do, it might make sense to send all the LFP to Megapacks for a while.

Maybe using LFP for the M3 SR doesn’t make sense once the IRA mineral sourcing clause is active.

Seems like it might be a good idea to just delay the M3LR until the end of the quarter and drop the M3 SR out of the lineup once the new tax credits are finalized.

At that point, the M3LR at $50k makes a lot more sense.

LRs are available from inventory but they don't last long. All the LRs in Chicagoland were snapped up shortly, but a couple more just showed up.

Inventory | Tesla

If you see this in time the cars will still be for sale, but probably not after today. (update — one of them gone!)

Last edited:
Regarding Gen 3, I was thinking back on a sentiment by Tesla of years ago to the effect of how each new factory will have its own designs, unique to their market.

What if Gen 3 results in three new models, one for each of the GFs?

China, Germany, and Texas/US could conceivably develop a model for each of their markets which may share many design elements to reduce production costs by economies of scale. (drivetrain, castings, etc.) Yet, each would utilize individual stampings for bodywork which results in three models with completely different appearance.
My personal opinion is the needs are similar for each market. I would keep the designs the same, there is a lot cost savings in sharing the part volume across geography. This is one reason Tesla is the cost leader and GM will fail as a cost leader with 30+ models. Likely the volumes in each market will be very different as the smaller car will likely not sell as well in North America.