Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know people that drive trucks like these, and they tell me they won’t switch until...
Yeah, yeah. And we all know ICE car owners who will never switch until they can make the once a year trip to Aunt Jane's on a single charge. Such people should be ignored. Once their friends have EVs and make it clear that their fears are all in their own imaginations, they'll change their tune.

Until then, there's no point in arguing (or caring).

Look I agree, I’m just relaying what I hear all the time from people who complain about EVs range/towing and carrying capacity, but let’s get real here, is there a current EV on the market that could beat trucks like say a Ford F-150 or Ranger? a Toyota Tundra, Hi-Lux, Tacoma? I know people that drive trucks like these, and they tell me they won’t switch until EVs performance gets closer, I don’t drive these so I couldn’t care less, but here in Oz and in the US trucks are king, so it’s a pretty big deal..
I don't need to think or type anymore other than ask ChatGPT questions...

Q: how much range do traditional trucks lose when towing?

A: The range of a traditional truck can be significantly reduced when towing, as the added weight and drag of the trailer can greatly increase fuel consumption. The exact range loss will vary depending on the specific truck and trailer, as well as driving conditions and the load being towed. It is generally recommended to plan for a 20-30% reduction in range when towing.

Q: how much range is lost when towing 10000 lbs with an F-150

A: The range loss for an F-150 when towing a 10,000 lbs load can vary depending on the specific model and engine of the truck, as well as driving conditions and the load being towed. However, it is generally recommended to plan for a 20-30% reduction in range when towing a load of this size. For example, if an F-150 without a trailer has a range of 500 miles, towing a 10,000 lbs load could reduce this range to between 350 and 450 miles. It is also important to note that some of the newest F-150 models have a towing capacity of up to 14,000 lbs and a better fuel efficiency than older models, so if you are considering towing a 10,000 lbs load with an F-150, it is recommended to check the specific model you have or you're considering purchasing to see if it can handle the load, and also check the fuel efficiency to get a better estimate of the range loss.

Q: how much range loss is expected with the Cybertruck when towing

A: The Tesla Cybertruck is an electric vehicle (EV) and its range loss when towing will be different from traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) trucks. The Cybertruck has a towing capacity of up to 14,000 lbs, but the range loss when towing will depend on the specific load being towed, the driving conditions, and the charge level of the battery.
According to Tesla, the Cybertruck has a range of up to 500 miles when fully charged, however, when towing a heavy load this range may be significantly reduced. Tesla has not yet released official information about the range loss when towing with the Cybertruck, but it's expected to be lower than the range loss of a traditional truck because electric motors are more efficient than combustion engines and less energy is lost in the form of heat.
It's important to note that the Cybertruck is not yet available for purchase, and the towing range loss is not yet confirmed. It's best to check with Tesla once the Cybertruck becomes available and get more specific information.

Q: are NMC batteries more efficient when towing

A: NMC batteries, also known as lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide batteries, are a type of lithium-ion battery that are used in electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). They are known for their high energy density, which means they can store a large amount of energy in a small space.
In terms of towing efficiency, NMC batteries can be more efficient than other types of batteries because of their high energy density. This means that they can store more energy and provide more power, which can help to reduce the range loss when towing. Additionally, NMC batteries have a relatively low internal resistance, which means they can deliver more power to the electric motor and increase the efficiency of the drivetrain.
It's important to note that while NMC batteries can be more efficient than other types of batteries when towing, the overall efficiency will also depend on the specific vehicle and drivetrain, as well as the load being towed and the driving conditions.
Therefore, it's important to check the vehicle's specs, and how it is designed to handle towing and the battery capacity to get a better estimate of how efficient it will be when towing.

Good video. I don't believe that Tesla's price drop is meant to blow all other EVs out of the water though. Remember the mission is to accelerate the transition...

I agree the primary goal of the price cuts was not to blow other EV's out of the water. That said, the price cuts will impact more competitor's ICE sales vs. EV sales. These cuts make EV's far more competitive relative to ICE cars which are still the bulk of the market. The price cuts show Tesla is serious about driving the transition to sustainable transportation forward in a BIG way!

But the real elephant in the room needs addressing:

Namely the idea that pushing Tesla's competitors into bankruptcy harms the mission of transitioning the world to sustainable transport. This is a view that is common but very misguided. People that believe this must think it doesn't harm the mission for Toyota, VW, Ford, GM and others to continue pumping out millions of brand-new ICE vehicles each and every year that they are successfully able to forestall electrification of the industry. A first principles look at the issue will tell you that legacy competitors are the only entities with the capability to pump out millions of new ICE vehicles onto the roadways and that shutting them down greatly accelerates the transition to sustainable transport.

This should be obvious to all, but somehow, they have convinced a large contingency of people that they are vital to Tesla's mission. Nothing could be further from the truth! They did this by using their advertising dollars to create the impression they were ready, willing and able to go electric in a big way. GM is coming out with a gazillion brand new EV models by 2026 2026 2028? Nothing could be further from the truth! They are literally incapable of making EV's that can compete with their own ICE cars with scale (meaning profitably) for many years. That's how inefficient they are at manufacturing. Bankrupting legacy auto accelerates the transition to sustainable transport more than anything else I can conceive of, and it does it in an efficient manner by greatly reducing the number of orphaned assets that become worthless, or near worthless, as electrification progresses.

5-6 weeks ago James had Q4 deliveries at around 460-470k while Troy was hovering around 420-430

You cant believe anything James says. He's a fanboy that cares more about owing trolls than he does about being honest to his viewers.
Remember he once predicted 540k+ deliveries in 4Q21 alone w/ASP @ $108k+. Also predicted $16.6bn GAAP Earnings for FY21.

James is a fool. His history is just as bad as Gordon Johnson.

I don't need to think or type anymore other than ask ChatGPT questions...

Q: how much range do traditional trucks lose when towing?

A: The range of a traditional truck can be significantly reduced when towing, as the added weight and drag of the trailer can greatly increase fuel consumption. The exact range loss will vary depending on the specific truck and trailer, as well as driving conditions and the load being towed. It is generally recommended to plan for a 20-30% reduction in range when towing.

Q: how much range is lost when towing 10000 lbs with an F-150

A: The range loss for an F-150 when towing a 10,000 lbs load can vary depending on the specific model and engine of the truck, as well as driving conditions and the load being towed. However, it is generally recommended to plan for a 20-30% reduction in range when towing a load of this size. For example, if an F-150 without a trailer has a range of 500 miles, towing a 10,000 lbs load could reduce this range to between 350 and 450 miles. It is also important to note that some of the newest F-150 models have a towing capacity of up to 14,000 lbs and a better fuel efficiency than older models, so if you are considering towing a 10,000 lbs load with an F-150, it is recommended to check the specific model you have or you're considering purchasing to see if it can handle the load, and also check the fuel efficiency to get a better estimate of the range loss.

Q: how much range loss is expected with the Cybertruck when towing

A: The Tesla Cybertruck is an electric vehicle (EV) and its range loss when towing will be different from traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) trucks. The Cybertruck has a towing capacity of up to 14,000 lbs, but the range loss when towing will depend on the specific load being towed, the driving conditions, and the charge level of the battery.
According to Tesla, the Cybertruck has a range of up to 500 miles when fully charged, however, when towing a heavy load this range may be significantly reduced. Tesla has not yet released official information about the range loss when towing with the Cybertruck, but it's expected to be lower than the range loss of a traditional truck because electric motors are more efficient than combustion engines and less energy is lost in the form of heat.
It's important to note that the Cybertruck is not yet available for purchase, and the towing range loss is not yet confirmed. It's best to check with Tesla once the Cybertruck becomes available and get more specific information.

Q: are NMC batteries more efficient when towing

A: NMC batteries, also known as lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide batteries, are a type of lithium-ion battery that are used in electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). They are known for their high energy density, which means they can store a large amount of energy in a small space.
In terms of towing efficiency, NMC batteries can be more efficient than other types of batteries because of their high energy density. This means that they can store more energy and provide more power, which can help to reduce the range loss when towing. Additionally, NMC batteries have a relatively low internal resistance, which means they can deliver more power to the electric motor and increase the efficiency of the drivetrain.
It's important to note that while NMC batteries can be more efficient than other types of batteries when towing, the overall efficiency will also depend on the specific vehicle and drivetrain, as well as the load being towed and the driving conditions.
Therefore, it's important to check the vehicle's specs, and how it is designed to handle towing and the battery capacity to get a better estimate of how efficient it will be when towing.
Not bad. But ChatGPT doesn't have a good handle on the range loss while towing of EV vs. ICEV. The range loss is greater in the EV, not lower.

Look I agree, I’m just relaying what I hear all the time from people who complain about EVs range/towing and carrying capacity, but let’s get real here, is there a current EV on the market that could beat trucks like say a Ford F-150 or Ranger? a Toyota Tundra, Hi-Lux, Tacoma? I know people that drive trucks like these, and they tell me they won’t switch until EVs performance gets closer, I don’t drive these so I couldn’t care less, but here in Oz and in the US trucks are king, so it’s a pretty big deal..
I'm also Australian, and before I became a poncy, effete, Model Y driving, city slicking London banker I grew up on a farm in the bush and was a manly man who went hunting and welding and driving big belching machinery. We always had a dozen or so utes from new to paddock bashers. None of them were chosen solely because of their towing range - usually it was because the dealer would throw in some extra floor mats or invited one of the family to a BBQ next Sunday, or because the old one blew up and another was needed now.

People say this sort of stuff but they don't know how close the performance is because they haven't tried it (neither have most of us either). I'm sure there will be some things here and there that ICE trucks can do better (and have mentioned them in older posts) but it's going to be hard for ICE trucks to beat the electric trucks as a package for the vast majority of people, even if they do grumble about towing range while charging at a supercharger.

I'm that case. I have 2 on order, hoping for the 500 mi range while number of motors is not as critical as long as we're talking 4 wheel here. Boating, camping are typically in areas with limited charging and you have to get there, play the tunes for 24 hrs, then drive back.

Airstream has a concept trailer that includes some serious battery packs inside designed to compliment towing power with their own motors. They can also park themselves from a phone App and no truck attached, but all at a steep price I'm sure. Hey, how about a conversion kit for existing trailers that includes the battery pack, charging port, and a replacement axle with the motor.

If you’re worried about CT not having this stuff, why not do some basic research?

It will have 110V and 220V outlets as well as compressed air. Here is an example search query for you: “will the Cybertruck have electricity outlets?” Or maybe watch the reveal event?

It's a North American product so it will have 120v and 240v outlets.

Don't let the crappy graphic in the reveal fool you, they will be 120v and 240v.

Reactions: Dave EV
I don't see any reason Tesla can't make a 4680 battery pack for the SR, there are 3 chemistries which could work, I don't see a reason to rule any chemistry out.

A pack made of 4680 cells made by Tesla works for the IRA.

The interesting question is whether the Model 3 Highland has a 4680 structural pack.
I would be shocked if the updated US made model 3 doesn’t have the capability to fit a 4680 pack.

For shanghai it maybe wouldn’t make sense, as I don’t recall any news about 4680 battery supply being planned for there any time soon. Have to wonder if part of the deal for Tesla to get 100% ownership of GigaShanghai was contingent on the supply of battery cells to only come from chinese based battery cell suppliers (no in-house cell production by Tesla)

Explain "Tesla Model Y" related queries to me like I'm 5.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 3.29.10 PM.png

used car marked is stuffed to the gills of cars that people tried to flip when demand was higher than supply. Some people got left holding the bag.

Some online car buying sites won't give an offer on a Tesla right now. Some offer way below actual value, Some just noticeably below. But pretty much no car selling business wants to buy Tesla cars right now.

8tw5hvg3thca1.jpg

I feel like there should be a focus on EV towing capacity in the context of the environmental impact the same way the Semi needs focus despite being a small part of the overall
market, because towing anything significantly increases energy consumption and that increases emissions. Smaller trucks (and other vehicles) towing may also be a relatively minor chunk of the overall market, but I’d wager they tend to rack up more kilometres/miles and produce far more emissions per unit.

So a small slice of the market but every person who wants towing and switches to an EV will create a disproportionately larger benefit to emissions reduction.