Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This change is probably similar to the recent change to the Model S and X. I expect the letters „Tesla“ in the back instead of the Tesla Logo. Its a pragmatic move to motivate people to google „Tesla“ ;)

This is a sign that Tesla finally needs to advertise :p (on their cars)

View attachment 896599

The Model 3 Highland update is not imminent. For Highland, the factory is the product. The goal is to implement innovations which facilitate the next wave of growth.

While beeing gigantic, the 9000 Gigacasting machine with platens dimensions of 4’100 mm x 4’100 mm is still quite small compared to the size of the Model 3 (4’694 mm). The one-piece casting seems to be more to be about combining the front and the rear casting and provide a connection/base for the battery pack rather than a casting of a complete car body. The 9000 Gigacasting machine could be already be too small for a Model Y one-piece casting.
Max die size is 2.6m x 1.7m for the CS 9000
Max die size is 2.4m x 1.5m for the CS 6100

People who routinely tow big loads, like horse trailers, or fifth wheels, buy an F350 dually, not an F150. There's no EV in the market that can take on an F350 dually ... yet.
Exactly. I have towed everything with everything. And an F150 gasser towing an 8000 to 9000 pound travel trailer we’ll easily lose half its range. Not 20 or 30 percent. Go on any F150 gasser forum and ask what they lose for range and you’ll get answers of about 50 percent.

Diesels are a different story.

FYI - Morning Consult latest brand survey result for Tesla:

071CF115-E2FB-488A-8DFE-EA477E26F724.jpeg

Max die size is 2.6m x 1.7m for the CS 9000

That might be just large enough to cast a complete subframe for a car midway in size between a VW Golf and Polo. The die width seems sufficient, although the max length would be tight.

BTW, Tesla is now building a "Die shop" on the West side of the new Cathode plant at Giga Texas, according to speculation from Joe Tegtmeyer. I don't think these new dies will be for Gigapresses, since they already have their own milling machines in the casting workshop to make new casting dies.

Instead, I think the new "Die shop" will manufacture DBE platen rollers. You know, the kind that Tesla said they kept bending while rolling the DBE cathodes at the pilot plant on Kato Rd. in Fremont. Might as well "roll your own" (and keep it in-house) if you're gonna need moar for the forseeable future. :D

What is the “Die Shop”? Let’s discuss & speculate together! 15 January 2023 Giga Texas Update

Cheers!

Last edited:
That might be just large enough to cast a complete subframe for a car midway in size between a VW Golf and Polo. The die width seems sufficient, although the max length would be tight.

BTW, Tesla is now building a "Die shop" on the West side of the new Cathode plant at Giga Texas, according to speculation from Joe Tegtmeyer. I submit that these new dies will NOT be for Gigapresses (they already have their own milling machines in the casting workshop to make new casting dies).

I think the new "Die shop" will be for DBE platen rollers. You know? The ones that Tesla said they kept bending while rolling the DBE cathodes at the pilot plant on Kato Rd. in Fremont. Might as well "roll your own" if u need'em (+smoke'em wen u got'em) :D

What is the “Die Shop”? Let’s discuss & speculate together! 15 January 2023 Giga Texas Update

Cheers!
So you think the speculation regarding Dynamic Ion Extraction (DIE) in lithium processing is off base?

YouGov shows Tesla brand popularity in the US for Q4 is nearly identical to Q3 (48% vs 49%), and higher than Q4 2021 and Q1 2022's 45% and 47%: Tesla popularity & fame | YouGov

And Elon Musk's popularity in the US for Q4 increased over Q3 (45% vs 40%), in fact 45% popularity is the highest score he got since the poll started in Q3 2020: Elon Musk popularity & fame | YouGov

YouGov shows Tesla brand popularity in the US for Q4 is nearly identical to Q3 (48% vs 49%), and higher than Q4 2021 and Q1 2022's 45% and 47%: Tesla popularity & fame | YouGov

And Elon Musk's popularity in the US for Q4 increased over Q3 (45% vs 40%), in fact 45% popularity is the highest score he got since the poll started in Q3 2020: Elon Musk popularity & fame | YouGov

The YouGov figure is not the net favourability rating. What they call “Popularity rating” is simply the percentage of people in the survey who liked him. It does not subtract the amount of people who disliked him. Subtracting dislikes from likes is the standard definition for a “net favourability” rating.

The net favourability rating for Elon on YouGov is actually a similar net favourability rating that Morning Consult has for Tesla: 13% . (Yougov data has Elon “liked by” 45% & “disliked by” 32% = 13% net favourable). yougov doesnt seem to show a history of Elon “disliked by” readings unfortunately, so can’t compare Net favourability in their survey with previous months.

The YouGov net favourability rating for Tesla is currently 26% (”liked by” 48% vs “disliked by” 22%), which is feeble compared to other car brands net favorability:

Toyota: 62% (69% like vs 7% dislike)
Honda: 62% (68% like vs 6% dislike)
Ford: 51% (62% like vs 11% dislike)
Volkswagon: 48% (57% like vs 9% dislike)
GM: 48% (59% like vs 11% dislike)
Tesla:: 26% (48% like vs 22% dislike)

Last edited:
FYI - Morning Consult latest brand survey result for Tesla:

View attachment 896613

This is one of those paid "research reports" that says whatever the client wants it to say. Someone had to pay for it and TSLA has been under non-stop attack lately. It seems everywhere you look these days, there is more fake news written by people trying to change how people perceive the world.

The YouGov figure is not the net favourability rating. What they call “Popularity rating” is simply the percentage of people in the survey who liked him. It does not subtract the amount of people who disliked him. Subtracting dislikes from likes is the standard definition for a “net favourability” rating.
So? That's assuming this "net favorability" thing is even relevant.

The net favourability rating for Elon on YouGov is actually a similar net favourability rating that Morning Consult has for Tesla: 13% . (Yougov data has Elon “liked by” 45% & “disliked by” 32% = 13% net favourable). yougov doesnt seem to show a history of Elon “disliked by” readings unfortunately, so can’t compare Net favourability in their survey with previous months.
You can use web.archive.org to lookup Elon's Q3 dislike number, it's 33%, so # of people dislikes him is actually reduced a little in Q4.

The YouGov net favourability rating for Tesla is currently 26% (”liked by” 48% vs “disliked by” 22%), which is feeble compared to other car brands net favorability:

Toyota: 62% (69% like vs 7% dislike)
Honda: 62% (68% like vs 6% dislike)
Ford: 51% (62% like vs 11% dislike)
Volkswagon: 48% (57% like vs 9% dislike)
GM: 48% (59% like vs 11% dislike)
Tesla:: 26% (48% like vs 22% dislike)
And yet Tesla is taking customers from Toyota and Honda left and right, just another sign this net favorability thing is not relevant.

Even if that's true, I think the "popularity rating" is a better indicator to look at than "net favourability" if we're trying to determine the impact on Tesla demand. It's not like every single person that dislikes Elon Musk prevents someone that likes Elon Musk from purchasing a Tesla. And if this is the case, then we can assume that Tesla demand based solely on likability of Elon Musk has actually increased, not decreased since pre-bird levels based off of this data.

Even if that's true, I think the "popularity rating" is a better indicator to look at than "net favourability" if we're trying to determine the impact on Tesla demand. It's not like every single person that dislikes Elon Musk prevents someone that likes Elon Musk from purchasing a Tesla. And if this is the case, then we can assume that Tesla demand based solely on likability of Elon Musk has actually increased, not decreased since pre-bird levels based off of this data.
Can we please stop with the Tesla/Musk "likeability/favorability/popularity" affects Tesla purchasing debate already? First and foremost, we've beaten that dead horse to death 100x over. Second, it's not an issue. End of subject. We've gone into the depths of idiocracy relating his political tweets to VWs relation to Hitler. It's all an extreme and absurd moot argument. Money talks, end of story. For what it's worth (not much; again I consider it moot): My roughly N of 10 that have said I'm not sure I'd buy a Tesla because of Musk: half know nothing about EVs and weren't in the market for EVs or even a new car, and once more educated have come to realize "oh, Tesla is the car to buy" and the other half can't afford a Tesla or didn't care to spend that much on a car and now say "I hate the guy but I'm buying a Model Y." Let's move on please.

I merely posted the morning consult brand survey result for Tesla (without any comments about Elon or his other activities).

Seemed like a valid post for the Tesla investor thread.

You're correct, I'm the one that made this about something it wasn't, sorry about that. I've reported my own post, please do so as well so that it will be deleted by the mods, since I am no longer able to delete my post.

Absolutely. Market potential should always be viewed that way. Net favorability is valuable mostly for assessing potential for controversy, with guns as a prototypical example, along with others such as solar power.

Net favorability for Tesla is relevant in terms of possible opposition to new facilities and even attracting labor pools, but essentially zero in sales. That could change after market penetration becomes >30%. Even then it’s much more likely that the net ratings will rise and popularity rises.

I merely posted the morning consult brand survey result for Tesla (without any comments about Elon or his other activities).

Seemed like a valid post for the Tesla investor thread.
Tesla deliveries are growing, if we plotted deliveries against this favorability survey, we should see deliveries rising while the survey line is dropping.

Seems to me like actual deliveries are important and relevant, and the survey may be measuring the opinion of those that have never driven or ridden in a Tesla, and were never likely to buy one.

Today I had lunch with my work collegues the bosses wife credits me with influencing her decision to buy a 3, and to say that she is a super happy customer is an understatement.

So an honest survey would give the opinions of those that own a Tesla the highest weighting, having driven a Tesla especially for a few days next highest, having at least ridden in a Tesla some merit.

Having never ridden in a Tesla, and not knowing much about the product. is IMO a survey result that should be lightly weighted.

Sooner or later that person will accidentally obtain an informed opinion, after they have accidentally experienced the product.

Last edited:
Renault has some problems with falling sales and especially with one rival:

"Fabrice Cambolive, Chief Operating Officer of the Renault brand, said he was optimistic things would improve this year as the company has a better portfolio and higher stocks.

However, he acknowledged that
global price cuts announced recently by Tesla
were an issue that Renault - like rivals - would have to contend with.

"It's a move that is challenging everybody," he told reporters on a conference call."

Chinese automaker Xpeng on Tuesday, Jan 17 announced price cuts of up to $5,300 for some models in the country in a notice on its official WeChat account.

New starting prices (in USD):
• G3i: $22,000
• P5: $23,180
• P7: $31,000

“We are going to further improve supply-chain management, cost control, production efficiency and customer services,” Xpeng said Tuesday, describing the price cuts as a “normal adjustment.”

Source tweet
Bloomberg

Last edited: