Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothingburger IMO. I thought it was obvious and common knowledge that this was a proof of concept demonstration. In fact I think we talked about it at the very time on this forum. Anyone who thought that video meant FSD was right around the corner had their head in the sand.
The fact that FSD has not appeared does not bother me. A problem set is what it is, and if additional unknown complexities emerge upon examination you recalculate and continue to apply new attempted solutions.

The description of the creation of the actual video itself is not what I would expect overall from Tesla.

Reactions: saniflash
How much would you pay for a Plaid Model 3? You know, 2 carbon-wrapped SRPM motors (no front AC motor). Up to 760 hp (software limited), or 850 hp uncorked (battery limited). Est'd 0-60 mph in 2.9 sec, Quarter mile in 10.3 sec @ 131 mph. Top speed - software limited to max tire speed rating.
RWD only seems as if it would be quite traction limited with that kind of hp and I wouldn't want to give up the winter weather traction of the front motor in normal driving.

How much would you pay for a Plaid Model 3?
I'd pay well over 70k. Give it some distinctive exterior features and new interior (still same basic design logic) and I think 90 wouldn't be out of the question. It would need massively improved cooling too.

Needs AWD to avoid running drag slicks on the rear.

Yep it's looking like a good morning for TSLA so far. (knocks on wood....)
Will today be a Max Pain ($131) sort-of-day and that's it? Or some sort of major TSLA liftoff event that we should scramble and buy more tickets for upon market opening?

What say ye knowing elders?

(Asking for a friend.)

Up over $3.fitty and Yahoo shows red. Another hole in the Matrix and something isn’t going as ‘planned’?

1674052503545.png

EQ line under fire:
Excerpt from Mercedes-fans.de, one of the main independent Mercedes outlets and a litmus test publication about the general mood within the company:

The Manager Magazin writes "Quarrels in the realm of the stars". It claims to have learned of internal squabbles in the executive suite of Mercedes-Benz, makes them the top topic and titles the exclusive research as follows: "Why Mercedes development boss Markus Schäfer is getting under fire" According to this report, the house is in a very bad way in the executive suite of the Mercedes-Benz Group, which is always outwardly so unanimously turned towards the electric future and luxury orientation.
Markus Schäfer has a lot on his shoulders: He is supposed to get the electric-only strategy rolling in the form of cars that people want. He's supposed to fix it. He's supposed to develop it. He's supposed to do it. He's the man. This position gives him a lot of influence in the Group. In return, he enjoys the full confidence of CEO Källenius - at least until recently. As Manager Magazin has learned from insiders, the relationship between the two high-ranking Mercedes managers is apparently beginning to deteriorate. According to the article in the generally well-informed Manager Magazin, Schäfer is having an increasingly difficult time internally.

Who is Markus Schäfer?

Markus Schäfer has been a member of the Board of Management of Daimler, now Mercedes-Benz Group, since May 22, 2019. On the Board of Management, he is Head of Development & Purchasing and has also been Chief Technology Officer since December 1, 2021. In this function, he is responsible for the holistic development process of Mercedes-Benz Cars and Purchasing at Group level. His current Board of Management mandate runs until May 2024. If you will, Markus Schäfer is the most important employee for Ola Källenius' ambitious premium luxury electric plans. Schäfer is something like the personified future of the star. But now doubts are arising internally about the choice of person. Is Schäfer still the right man? The relationship between Källenius and Schäfer seems to have soured, writes Manager Magazin, and also names the reason for this: "Schäfer fluffs on central projects.

Internal criticism of Mercedes development board member: "Blunders on central projects.
Where things should be moving in the direction of the future in the Schaefer division, there are obviously sometimes major snags. For example, in the new production facility "Factory 56", which has been showered with much praise, the premium upper class models EQS and S-Class have been assembled here for 18 months - but Factory 56 is a long way from excellent premium manufacturing quality. "Already, readjustments and repairs have to be made; there have been recalls. In any case, the next plant will not be built according to the Hall 56 concept," whispers one person involved to Manager Magazin. Oha, of all things Factory 56 is weakening - it was supposed to be the blueprint for the digital car factory of the future. So now its concept for Mercedes-Benz production facilities to be built in the future is being discarded again?
The sales figures for the high-priced e-cars from Mercedes-Benz are not really taking off either. The sales figures for the electric flagship Mercedes EQS, for example, are lagging well behind the original plans. Only 8,400 orders for the EQS were placed by customers around the world in the first half of 2022. The sales plans were much more ambitious. The Mercedes-Benz Group wanted to sell 50,000 units of the EQS worldwide in 2022. The star can probably collect this target for this year, especially since the sales figures for the premium E-models with the star in China, by far the most important Mercedes market, are so disastrously low that Mercedes-Benz has already had to react with considerable price reductions. Ouch! Is the EQS/EQE possibly underdeveloped for the market? Mercedes boss Källenius is unlikely to spare his development board this question.

Thanks for the post. Seems to me that Mercedes core problem is that their EVs are too expensive?

I'd pay well over 70k. Give it some distinctive exterior features and new interior (still same basic design logic) and I think 90 wouldn't be out of the question. It would need massively improved cooling too.

Needs AWD to avoid running drag slicks on the rear.
Only if we´d get back the old Face, a matte black option or 21" aeros.
Something about a potential PLAID M3 should be elusive and charismatic.

but BTT

Tesla-Model-3-4555.jpg

Thanks for the post. Seems to me that Mercedes core problem is that their EVs are too expensive?
Yes, and they lack the Mercedes touch. They kill their character all the way back to the design phase, so the design office has to be "refreshed" too ;)
while Tesla sharpens the character once they go into mass production. PLAID syndrome.

How much would you pay for a Plaid Model 3? You know, 2 carbon-wrapped SRPM motors (no front AC motor). Up to 760 hp (software limited), or 850 hp uncorked (battery limited). Est'd 0-60 mph in 2.9 sec, Quarter mile in 10.3 sec @ 131 mph. Top speed - software limited to max tire speed rating.

Maybe we're seeing a Plaid Model 3 prototype testing on the track at Fremont in this week's video: :D

Tesla Fremont 01/17 | Met God in Wilderness / YouTube - videos

BTW 830 hp in a 4,200 lb car (w. driver) gives a 10.00 sec Qtr-mile at 135 mph (track mode)

So... wood u pay $70Gs? :D
Yes! I assume by "2 carbon-wrapped SRPM motors" you mean one front and one rear?

I have been writing in the M3 forum a while ago that exactly this is a no brainer/ free money for Tesla since they already have the main parts for it and the carbon-wrapped motors are by now tried and true.

Two rear motors I don't think are worth it from a production cost perspective since it would require a complete redesign of the rear end and could take years to set up. Look how long the refresh SX took.

Last edited: