Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for all your great work!

Why do you think the Street (Bloomberg) has lower GAAP and non-GAAP earnings than you when you both have the same revenue and the Street has higher gross margins than you—yet you also don’t include FSD revenue?

When I last checked the street had much much higher estimated operating expenses, to the tune of $200M more than Q3 I think.

Yes - Higher Operating expenses and I believe Energy profits. The gross margins are auto only on the chart.
I have Energy Revenues at 1.5B with 14% margins. I believe Wall Street does not focus much on Energy.

Updated now for Rob Maurer:

1674614627520.png

Updated now for Rob Maurer:

View attachment 899513
Interesting that the GM percentages are all so low. Considering how deep Tesla's price cuts were, I would think they would need to have been higher last quarter. If they are 23% - 25%, I worry a little bit about how deep the cuts are.

I was expecting with the price increases being in effect for most of the quarter and the 2 big factories being somewhat ramped up we'd hit 30% again.

Will they have enough employees? Many times in the past there has been a labor shortage for both Tesla and Panasonic. According to this tweet and others talent may be a problem.

I am writing this post from Reno. While it's true that many big companies came to Reno when Tesla came, and while it's true there was a labor issue at the time, what has changed is that housing (particularly apartments) have caught up with (and somewhat passed) demand and that Reno is an attractive place to move to now in order to work for Tesla. That was not true when there was little available housing years ago.

I am writing this post from Reno. While it's true that many big companies came to Reno when Tesla came, and while it's true there was a labor issue at the time, what has changed is that housing (particularly apartments) have caught up with (and somewhat passed) demand and that Reno is an attractive place to move to now in order to work for Tesla. That was not true when there was little available housing years ago.
Thanks. How was the problem of unavailability of water to support new housing resolved?

@Fred42 , There's adequate water in the Reno-Sparks area for more residents. There's empty apartments at the moment that were approved with water being considered. There are no water restrictions (except days of week) such as in Arizona and residents can water their lawns as much as they like on the proper days. Ultimately, water will be a constraint someday, but not in the near future. Plenty of growth ahead. Water in Reno is a whole lot cheaper than it is in Honolulu right now.

I have a friend in Austin whose 19 year old son joined the Gigafactory workforce as a lineworker this fall along with a number of his friends. They have been required to work 60 hour weeks for the past month or so. Several of his friends didn't like that arrangement and quit. I would have thought the labor force was adequate in the Austin area to allow for 40 hour work weeks, but maybe not

Do they have any jobs available for old lazy people that like to read TMC and check the TSLA ticker all day?
Yeah, probaly a position in Investor Relations that manually verifys foreign holder's stock ownership. My account's preference still says "Your verification submission has been received" ever since I submitted it so long ago when Martin Viecha announced this option's availability.

I have a friend in Austin whose 19 year old son joined the Gigafactory workforce as a lineworker this fall along with a number of his friends. They have been required to work 60 hour weeks for the past month or so. Several of his friends didn't like that arrangement and quit. I would have thought the labor force was adequate in the Austin area to allow for 40 hour work weeks, but maybe not
Tesla career lifecycle: Work yer ass off, get paid ok, burn out, retire early on options and become a vlogger.

Of course TSLA stock being where it is right now, that one step is problematic. Hopefully that’ll get straightened soon.

Definitely not the place to work if you have a lot of trouble with the “Work yer ass off” step.

A close up of the Tesla Semi battery pack. Doesn’t seem like 4680s and structural packs are really a big piece of the Tesla Semi game plan. I’m sure if they need cells they can plug them in, but this seems like a pretty obvious candidate for soaking up their supply of 2170 cells for a long time to come.

Heck, looking at it, it’s likely extremely adaptable to lots of different cell types. It’s just bunch of boxes of cells. Also looks almost like you could unbolt them and replace them eventually.

Looks almost as bulky as the Hummer battery pack. With roughly 4x the capacity.

1674624466600.png

Good quack by Larry Goldberg @TeslaLarry on the blue bird. Definitely worth a read:

Agree, worth the read. All in one via @Threadreaderapp

This seems like a reasonable solution to apartment and condo charging, low cost low power smart receptacles, developed by former Tesla employees. Posting it here for people to use as a counter argument to "where will apartment dwellers charge?"

Orange you glad this company is making it easier to get EV charging in your building

Any special reason to post this here?
Did anyone have a look at the "About" page - Investors and Advisors Helping Orange.....?
Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning popping up.

Last edited:
1674626824032.png

Interesting note: on the close/left end of the factory, if you zoom in, you can see 8 freshly made semi tractors, plus one more just being born through a gate in the factory wall. I think the parked cars are rendered as Teslas...but sadly no Cybertrucks that I can spot. Some of the cars do look different than current Teslas...maybe hints at future cars, or maybe just low-resolution issues.

Other interesting notes from the blog post:
"100 GWh 4680 cell factory (with capacity to produce enough batteries for 1.5 million light duty vehicles annually)"
- The 4680's are meant for passenger cars/pickups/SUVs, not the semi.
- Average pack size about 67kWh

- Seems like the "37+ GWh annually" of 2170s is likely to be shifted to the semis over time. I assume the 37+ GWh will continue to increase as well, but as-is, that would give an average pack size of 740 kWh for each of 50,000 semis (the production rate target we have heard for year 2024).
- interesting to think about: this basically means that Tesla already has the full cell supply needed for 50,000 annual semis...but it's just currently going into 3's and Y's. As 4680 ramps up, more 3's and Y's will be made with those cells, and the 2170 cells will get gradually phased out on 3/Y and shifted to semi, just as semi ramps up. Provides options if one product or another is ramping slower than expected.

"...as well as our first high-volume Semi factory. "
- This would imply they have plans for at least one more high-volume semi factory.
- I wonder what the target/max capacity of the current semi production line is...I think last I heard was a few per week current capability.

Last edited: