Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyoda stepped down as President or UP to Chairman? I'm not sure how the different roles work, especially in a Japanese company of Toyota's size. Maybe his new role is ceremonial (I get the impression he loves being feted) or maybe he can block innovation more effectively as Chairman or just buy his luddite policies extra time.

We'll see, I just wanted to raise the possibility that Akio Toyoda's negative influence may not be over. Either way, it doesn't stop Electric Vehicles, but can change the rate of adoption, government support, political lobbying, advertising money/media coverage. THAT can affect Tesla and Electric Vehicle adoption.

By the way, I don't know the answer, but it seems to me that Prius/Hybrid success came from a period before Akio gained power, and Takeshi Uchiyamada - Wikipedia ("father of the Prius") was the Chairman until Akio. This probably doesn't warrant a lot of discussion (and I won't clog the thread), but something to think about in terms of Toyota's future influences on government policies etc which may then influence Tesla and $TSLA indirectly.

Either way, I think Tesla has forced this action on Akio.

From Wikipedia
Perhaps someone closer to the situation can add info or clarify, but a quick reading of Toyota’s website (which refers to Akio Toyoda as the founder’s grandson and current president) suggests he is shacho and will become kaicho. If my read is correct, his executive role is being dramatically reduced in favor of the younger Sato, current head of Lexus division which is developing BEVs and seems more dynamic than the Toyota brands. Basically, in traditionally structured Japanese companies of which Toyota is a paragon, shacho is the powerful CEO while kaicho is a more ceremonial role, often focused on behind-the-scenes meetings with government and key business partners.

Last edited:
Isn’t Toyota already done for? They’re too late to the BEV game. Everyone else has come up with at least an acceptable product, and Toyota doesn’t even have a prototype. Toyota today is like Nokia in the late 2000’s. Nokia was too late to adopt Android and decided to go all in on Windows Phone. It was a decent wager because Nokia was already too far behind competitors in producing Android phones. Too bad they lost.

The only possible way out is for Toyota to purchase another EV maker to adopt the technology. It’ll be a painful learning process but it’s the only thing that will keep them from bankruptcy.
While understanding the sentiment it is too easy to equate Toyota with other OEM’s that have lagged. Unlike most Toyota has enormous resources, can harness technical expertise from Japan’s rail industry which is among the most deeply electrified in the world, plus bath battery, motor and BMS technologies that are advanced. Rather than quotes here I suggest searching for Japanese electric trains. That will help open eyes.

Japan is not like the US or EU countries. The legacy of keiretsu lives on:
Now they are a bit more flexible than they were, and companies collaborate fairly smoothly.
Toyota is the largest industrial company by far that makes motor vehicles, but they’re active in building construction, sewing machines, robotics, forklifts and on and on.
Now that their operating control has changed we’ll see major innovation in markets within a couple of years. That is late and seriously so but…once Toyota decides firmly on a course it is foolish to write them off.

An apt analogy: The sleeping giant just woke up.
The big losers from the awakening will be General Motors, Ford and Stellantis US. Quite soon all the major EU ones will suffer. Tesla will continue to thrive.

I will be unsurprised if the first major products will be urban use trucks, busses and specialty vehicles. Some of those may arrive next year.
within weeks we’ll have quiet news about battery supplies.
It might well be that some products have already been developed and manufacturing processes already designed and proven. There is precedent for that at Toyota. I don’t expect that, but would not be surprised either.

Frankly it is impossible to overstate the enormity of Akio Toyoda stepping down. As a grandson of the founder he has had outsized influence. As a car nut himself he received a Tesla Roadster from Elon: Tesla Thanks Toyota CEO with a 2011 Roadster Sport 2.5
I understood that, Mr Toyoda was pleased, but after commissioning the RAV4 BEV powered by Tesla he was convinced that CARB or not, BEV would never work. That very sceptical view later yielded the wonderful Prius, then the Marai. He never imagined how lei-ion could provide practical long range.

(note: during the CARB compliance car days i was consulting with a competitor also located in Torrance, CA. One of my colleagues had worked on the Toyota BEV plans then. Long stories. In the process I drove them all, including a handful of dreadful prototypes. At the time Toyota was wildly elated over Lexus, and thought hybrids were the future.)

Tesla launches a $399/mo lease special on Model 3 with $4,500 down.

For comparison:
  • Cheapest BMW I could find was a 2 series for $489/mo with $5,389 down
  • Cheapest Mercedes A-Class for $469/mo and $3,623 down.
  • Toyota Camry LE is $299/mo with $3,598 down
  • Honda Accord $289/mo with $4,099 down
The fuel savings alone would make up the $100/mo difference on the two low end comparisons.

Ideally one should put down as little as possible on a lease so really that should read $539/mo with First and TTL due at signing.
The Tesla app shows how much you save per month driving electric versus gas. Of course this depends on what you pay for electricity and where you charge, which the app takes into account. My monthly estimated savings comes out to almost $2,000 per year, so would cover about 3-4 of those $539 payments. My "other" source is solar panels so the cost is $0, but more or less paid up front so there is that.

Screenshot_20230127-041032.png

Last edited:
35000 more cars in inventory (according to P&D)
At their average COGS for cars (39K), this corresponds to $1.365B. There’s still a billion extra inventory for something else than cars.
Do you guys believe the rest are mega pack revenue not yet recognized? Twitterverse seems to think that's the answer to the discrepancy.

Assuming this actually works, every premium EV will be sold as a lease, which is silly and completely guts the entire intent of having a MSRP cap
OTOH, along with accelerated depreciation, and other tax topics lessors and capital expenditures often have arcane but lucrative features. It is not new. US tax policy and that of many countries is written for the wealthiest. Example:
For many years GE paid nearly no federal income tax due to GECC aircraft and other leasing.
The IRA is just another arrow in the quiver.

Perhaps someone closer to the situation can add info or clarify, but a quick reading of Toyota’s website (which refers to Akio Toyoda as the founder’s grandson and current president) suggests he is shacho and will become kaicho. If this is correct, he is dramatically reducing his executive role in favor of the younger Sato, current head of Lexus division which is developing BEVs. Basically, in traditionally structured companies of which Toyota is a paragon, shacho is the powerful CEO while kaicho is a more ceremonial role, often focused on behind-the-scenes meetings with government and key business partners.
Long ago when the world was young and I was 22 years old, my Japanese mentor was trying to teach his dimwitted western child student how Japanese business worked. His words stuck even if I missed most of it:
shacho is like a prime minister, and kaicho is like a constitutional monarch
shacho is like head of government, kaicho is like head of state.

In sum, Mr. Toyoda will do what he does best, show off new products and schmooze,
Mr. Koji Sato will do everything else.
Mr. Sato is a Waseda engineering graduate and Toyota lifer, of course, but he may well surprise people who expect him to avoid major changes. After all he’s young, articulate and clever , ‘so they say’.

Long ago when the world was young and I was 22 years old, my Japanese mentor was trying to teach his dimwitted western child student how Japanese business worked. His words stuck even if I missed most of it:

In sum, Mr. Toyoda will do what he does best, show off new products and schmooze,
Mr. Sato is a Waseda engineering graduate and Toyota lifer, of course, but he may well surprise people who expect him to avoid major changes. After all he’s young, articulate and clever , ‘so they say’.
Enjoyed this ^, and thoroughly agree. I’m envious that you had the opportunity at such a young age. I was shacho hosa at my company’s Japanese subsidiary 1990-1993 when I was 33-36, and I tried my best to learn those same lessons despite my meager nihongo. While my knowledge is rusty, things don’t change too quickly in dear Nippon.

Last edited:
Oh no, a flood of cells after a drought that led conventional OEMs to imagine less Electric Vehicle adoption than was possible.

Who might be best placed to absorb high volumes at good prices? Having multiple energy products such as cars, lorries and storage would be helpful.

Being agile and adaptable would be good - perhaps "innovative" might be a good description.

Who might be prepared to up volume around this time?

[maniacal laughter ensues]

I gave this a 😁 in order to join in on the maniacal laughter.

Not closely following....but isn't in the best interest in ANY company to hire the best and NOT promote based on family patronage?