Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should not, by default, be able to move an EV without all doors closed. Obviously, there can be an override in the menus, but it can't be a permanent selection. I say EVs, as this should easily be programable.

Still, you can with the X, and other Teslas. The car was apparently "screaming" at her, but her 2 yo child was screaming more. :eek:

FYI, here's the auto-response you get from Tesla Brussels if you drop them an email:

Hi,
Thank you for reaching out to the Tesla Brussels mailbox.
Due to the car show and high demand, there may be a delay in responding to your message.
We try to process all messages within 48 hours.
Thank you for your understanding
Best regards,
Team Tesla Zaventem - Drogenbos

Hmmm…..Mr Musk has all tranches of his pay package fulfilled. Brace yourselves for the screaming when he starts selling to pay the taxes, etc. why don’t some people do research when they buy a stock?

The tranches don't need to be exercised before 2028, and based on his behavior regarding previous ones he does not exercise them until nearly the end of the period in which he can do so-- so you likely have years before such screaming will occur.

I don't know, producing dramatically cheaper 3/Y variants might not be a great move considering they will likely not be all that different in feel and form.
You inspired me to do some research and its VERY interesting.
In the UK, the bare basic model 3 is £42,990
basic hyundai ioniq 5: £43,150
basic VW ID 4: £40,275
basic MG 4: £26,995.

The VW and Hyundai are LAUGHABLY poor choices given the specs against the model 3. Nobody in their right mind in the UK would buy an ID 4 or Hyundai ioniq now. But the MG...
It almost seems like a pricing error how good that car is:
This is the only car that I think is a 'threat' to tesla (for people who dont want the improved acceleration and charging speed).
My neighbor has one on order and I await his verdict with interest.

Other research: Here are the ranges (combined mild weather wltp) of the base models of the top 5 EVs (by sales) in the UK:
1 Model Y 245m
2 Model 3 275m
3 Kia Niro EV 275m
4 VW ID.3 250m
5 Nissan Leaf 170m
6 Mini 130m
7 Polestar 2 275m

Also Average hatchback cost - £21,964 (thats all cars, not EVs).

So...yeah. I think there is scope for a lower range smaller battery model 3. It could eat up the Nissan Lead and Mini market, which combined sell the same number of units in the UK as the model 3.

Apparently the MG4 is being sold at a profit by SAIC. It uses a cheap low performance battery, but maybe thats all people really need?

1675179131311.png

Tesla reported $10.996bn in automotive inventory as of 12/31, before the price cuts.

At an average of $38k COGS/vehicle that's nearly 290k vehicles.

They are installing something BIG in to the Giga Austins Cathode building.

Joe Tegtmeyer said yesterday that he would release a deep-dive video on the SACMI press technology, which appears to be related to the DBE process for cathode rolling / calendaring.

Here's the relevant portion of yesterday's tweet:

This is the type of equipment they make:

SACMI double-channel roller kiln​

SACMI double-channel roller kiln.jpg

The VW and Hyundai are LAUGHABLY poor choices given the specs against the model 3. Nobody in their right mind in the UK would buy an ID 4 or Hyundai ioniq now. But the MG...
This is the only car that I think is a 'threat' to tesla (for people who dont want the improved acceleration and charging speed).

Other research: Here are the ranges (combined mild weather wltp) of the base models of the top 5 EVs (by sales) in the UK:
1 Model Y 245m
2 Model 3 275m
3 Kia Niro EV 275m
4 VW ID.3 250m
5 Nissan Leaf 170m
6 Mini 130m
7 Polestar 2 275m

So...yeah. I think there is scope for a lower range smaller battery model 3. It could eat up the Nissan Lead and Mini market, which combined sell the same number of units in the UK as the model 3.

Apparently the MG4 is being sold at a profit by SAIC. It uses a cheap low performance battery, but maybe thats all people really need?
Lower prices will most definitely be required to hit further layers of demand and move massive numbers, price matters as Elon mentioned on the last call. They know this, the price increases were there to help throttle demand during the pandemic craziness.

I personally think a separate model is the way to go to limit the risk of pushing down values of the existing model lines, but who knows. There is already so much coming and ramping between Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster reservations still hanging out there, Robotaxi & Others. And as the team also commented, it's a juggling act when you produce X battery capacity and end up just shuffling batteries between the models.

You should not, by default, be able to move an EV without all doors closed. Obviously, there can be an override in the menus, but it can't be a permanent selection. I say EVs, as this should easily be p

1 Model Y 245m
2 Model 3 275m
3 Kia Niro EV 275m
4 VW ID.3 250m
5 Nissan Leaf 170m
6 Mini 130m
7 Polestar 2 275m

I would love Tesla to release (as part of the Highland project?) a hatchback and/or station wagon versions of the Model 3. Surely this could be done really cost effectively (based on the MY)?

It would be a very popular car in Europe and other countries (not the USA?)

I would love Tesla to release (as part of the Highland project?) a hatchback and/or station wagon versions of the Model 3. Surely this could be done really cost effectively (based on the MY)?

It would be a very popular car in Europe and other countries (not the USA?)
Nah just make a smaller form factor for markets outside of the US and Canada - they would sell like hot cakes.

Funny how a 'compact car' by US standard is still too big for most of the world.

View attachment 901674

Tesla reported $10.996bn in automotive inventory as of 12/31, before the price cuts.

At an average of $38k COGS/vehicle that's nearly 290k vehicles.
GIGO, only $3.5B is finished goods, across all business units.

SmartSelect_20230131_104554_Firefox.jpg

If that were all 38k cars, it would be 92.1k units or 16 [edit 17] days of inventory (versus the 13 reported in the Q4 deck).

Last edited:
Joe Tegtmeyer said yesterday that he would release a deep-dive video on the SACMI press technology, which appears to be related to the DBE process for cathode rolling / calendaring.

Here's the relevant portion of yesterday's tweet:

This is the type of equipment they make:

SACMI double-channel roller kiln​

View attachment 901679
While they do make ovens, the equipment recently featured looks like 2000 series (not Imola) presses.
2000 series

Will he interesting to see what Tesla is doing with these, seems they are usually used with ceramics. Maybe short life cell tooling?

I feel like not enough people recognize you can get a model 3 Base for 400/month on a 36 month lease @10K miles. This is an absurd value! I have two paid off vehicles (one is model Y, the other a 2006 Tundra) that I am tempted to sell the tundra to lease the model 3 in preparation for the cyber truck. A 24 month lease is 405/month BTW. I honestly have no idea why Tesla isn't posting this all over twitter, or Elon pumping it. What other mid size EV with 272 miles or range and autopilot can you get for this money...tomorrrow? Let's hope this is a sales ploy before Highlander comes out.

I feel like not enough people recognize you can get a model 3 Base for 400/month on a 36 month lease @10K miles. This is an absurd value! I have two paid off vehicles (one is model Y, the other a 2006 Tundra) that I am tempted to sell the tundra to lease the model 3 in preparation for the cyber truck. A 24 month lease is 405/month BTW. I honestly have no idea why Tesla isn't posting this all over twitter, or Elon pumping it. What other mid size EV with 272 miles or range and autopilot can you get for this money...tomorrrow? Let's hope this is a sales ploy before Highlander comes out.

Probably because they can't make cars fast enough. Elon already said demand is 2X production. No need to advertise things in that situation.

I don't know, producing dramatically cheaper 3/Y variants might not be a great move considering they will likely not be all that different in feel and form. Multiple models are there to hit different price points and each niche, and I personally very much hope the trigger is ready to be pulled on something significantly cheaper and different to move the vehicles necessary in the upcoming production targets.

If the intent is just to continue pumping out 3s and Ys with slight tweaks or software limiters, I think there's a serious risk of the lineup being hit by further devaluation. Very interested in seeing what Investor Day brings.

Why would you assume that Tesla plans to reduce prices of the Model 3 by using "slight tweaks or software limiters"? That makes no sense, Tesla is on a mission to reduce the cost of EV's in fundamental ways by making the cars easier to manufacture and with lower assembly costs and lower parts and raw materials costs. This requires optimizing the engineering of both the production lines and the car. The goal will be to have the same functionality, the same reliability and longevity, the same size, at a significantly lower cost, thus driving the adoption of EV's into ever larger market segments.

People over-estimate the savings available with a smaller model, making the car smaller on the outside and more cramped on the inside. Sure, raw materials can go down by 15% or so, but raw materials are a small fraction of the total cost to produce. You still have four wheels, and you still have to install, inflate and balance four tires and wheels. You still have four seats, carpeting, a brake and an accelerator, sun visors, door handles, air bags, parking brake, etc. etc. etc. Costs do not even come close to scaling with size. The Model 3 is at a sweet spot in so many ways even if a smaller car has some advantages in the middle of European cities. Making a small city car will happen, the question is whether now is the right time or not. The Model 3 is a greatly under-utilized asset of Tesla and it costs too much to build. Tesla is going to fix that, and it will dramatically expand the addressable market and the profits from Model 3.

Aerodynamically, it's difficult to beat the Model 3 by a lot as it already has a pretty small frontal area and the Cd of a smaller car will actually be considerably worse. People who understand aerodynamics get this (you have to multiply the frontal area by the Cd). The net effect is not a wash, but it's closer than you would think. So, to get the same range, you still need 90% of the battery. The battery of a city car will be more than 10% smaller, but mostly due to a shorter range and gains in efficiency from technological advancements, the gains in efficiency due to the smaller, lighter form factor of a city car over a re-vamped Model 3 will be relatively small. People over-estimate the actual efficiency gains from making an electric car smaller than the Model 3.

A revamped Model 3 will be lighter and just as aerodynamic as the current Model 3, without losing value by scaling it into an economy segment. The battery will be able to have fewer kWh because of that (and efficiency gains from motor/drivetrain optimizations). It can sell for a lot less than the current Model 3 and have better margins. That is simply not possible with a city car unless you start compromising on quality, longevity, efficiency,and, to some degree, safety. Tesla naturally doesn't want to go there until it's necessary to continue expanding market share.

I'm not saying Tesla will not announce a city car at the same time, but they need the Model 3 to be more compelling from a price perspective so the city car does not steal the show with lower margins. There is room for both, and the Model 3 is the ideal platform to be the next stage of increasing volumes worldwide. The reason for this has to do with the differences between gas and electric platforms. Gas cars have more compelling economic advantages when scaling smaller than electric cars do. I won't go into the physics and the exact economic reasons why, but the difference is significant enough that it will change the adoption rate of the different form factors to a slightly bigger car. There is still a place for a small city car, it's just not as compelling as with a gas platform and the adoption of EV's will benefit greatly with an affordable and desirable car like a cheaper Model 3. This will benefit Tesla.

People who think they know better than Elon Musk, generally don't.