Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There
You might be right, I was under the impression the smaller machines were faster.

You can get a lot of numbers from the IDRA website:- Catalogues and Datasheet | Media | Idra Group

Nothing conclusive, but it seems like all machines might have around the same cycle time...

Looking at Dimensions:-
Machine dimensions (LxWxH) m (5500)19,8x7,37x6,0, (6100) 19,8x7,37x6,0, (8000) 26x8,4x7,7, (9000)26x8,4x7,7.

It is interesting that the 5500 and 6100 are the same size and the 8000 and 9000 are the same size, the main difference is clamping force.

Previously I assumed a 9000 might cost more than 2 x 5500s, looking at the weights and dimensions, I now doubt that.
Even if it is more expensive, the savings on assembly later almost certainly pays off over the life of the machine.

Hm... I think that many cities in Europe went toward cities without cars. In such cities public transport and bikes are the preferred and optimal way to commute. As it should be in all cities around the globe. Train + subway + bikes ftw.

I recommend series about strong towns from YouTube channel "Not just bikes".

That is why I don't think that FSD will solve traffic problems.

Exactly this. My city is at the fore front of this way of thinking, dedicated bike lanes and bus lanes with electric buses.

Of course the Dutch are giants, not hobbits so we like our cars big.

No, that was the full, installed price by their authorized dealer in West Palm Beach. BUT, it was 2 years ago. Actually, the quote was from 3 years ago, and it took 13 months for them to be able to get the Powerwalls and install them almost exactly 2 years ago.It's hard to imagine they have gone up that much in price, and I can only hope that the same drop in commodities cost that allowed Tesla to drop car prices will allow Tesla to lower the PW price too. I hated waiting 13 months, but it actually worked out great because I ended up with the newer PLUS units that had more surge capacity.
That still sounds a little low, there have been multiple significant price increases in that time. I too am hoping for a model Y type price reduction for Powerwalls soon. Thanks for the additional details.

• Informative
Reactions: petit_bateau

The Market seemed to like it: :p

S&P 500 Companies - S&P 500 Index Components by Market Cap

#CompanySymbolWeight PriceChg% Chg
143General Motors CompanyGM0.153266
up.gif
3.03+8.35%

The Market seemed to like it: :p

S&P 500 Companies - S&P 500 Index Components by Market Cap

#CompanySymbolWeight PriceChg% Chg
143General Motors CompanyGM0.153266
up.gif
3.03+8.35%

Lots of people out there still think EVs are going to remain a niche forever. They are convinced that the 2035 deadlines in California and other states is going to be when this really comes home to roost. As if GM and the rest of the industry can continue making profits year after year while the ICE industry slowly shrinks to nothing.

Yep. That is a nasty list of requirements. Would have required some kind of POS system at each site (maybe 1 for the whole place?) and some kind of agreement and interface with EA and EV Go.

The sole requirement for these charging stations should be **Supports Plug & Charge** and CCS.

Notice the one thing which isn't required to cash this $6m check?

Reliability.
Wasn't sure which acronym you meant.

But they both work here!

I just read an article about how a Canadian lab recently discovered that batteries self-discharge due to the PET tape most manufacturers use inside batteries.

Does Tesla use PET, or are they already using more stable chemistries? I imagine it would be an advantage to make that fix more quickly than others...

In the article they mention they have spoken to EV makers, but not which ones.

Lol, that's literally Dr. Jeff Dahn's lab at Dalhousie. His 5-yr research contract with Tesla was renewed recently for a 2nd term.

Tesla donates $3.1M of $6M grant to Jeff Dahn's Dalhousie University battery team | Teslarati (2021-06-03)

Recent Advancements to a Million Mile Battery, Work by Dr. Jeff Dahn, Dalhousie University | (2022-02-03)

As far at the polypropylene liner, there have been teardowns done by both Sandy Munro's team and another associated with Jordan Giesige (The Limiting Factor on Youtube). That'd be the place to look for your answer, and/or make inquiries.

With the advent of so many battery factories, we're likely to get so many compliance EV's flooding the world market over the coming years. Tesla's cars aren't going to be worth what they're worth now in market cap (i.e. deliveries). You can see it happening via the price cuts.

The prediction from Elon that the value of Tesla is directly on FSD is becoming more and more reality. Glad they're always ahead of the curve and have had such a huge jumpstart in the transition.

I agree with you in so far as that the markup for scarcity has been reduced. But that was a temporary Covid-induced effect which applied to the entire industry. And I give you that declining battery costs will bring BEVs to cost parity with ICE and, ultimately, below. For those OEMs with a long-term road map of their battery needs and purchasing contracts in place, that is.

However,
we are just entering the steep part of the BEV adoption S-curve and Tesla gave us a preview of what happens with demand for ICE vehicles when you can get a BEV for the same sticker price. Look at sales for A4, 3 series and C class since Model 3 went into mass production. Now think about what the latest price cuts on M3 do to the value proposition of its ICE counterparts. Demand for BEVs will accelerate as they reach cost parity at point of sales, more prospective buyers begin to appreciate additional savings on running costs and worry about the resale value of ICE in 5 years.

OTOH, prices for cars with a combustion engine are not going to drop through the bottom. Battery supply will continue to limit growth of the BEV market and that will retain some demand for ICE. As the per-unit costs for ICE go up due to lower volumes and climbing CO2 penalties, OEMs have little remaining margin to sacrifice, particularly when their BEV business relies on cross funding from the legacy business.

FSD and robotaxis will be a singularity and it's difficult to predict a future beyond that point. What we do know is that a robotaxi will be more convenient and cheaper to operate than a privately owned vehicle for many use-cases. It remains to be seen how many of these privately owned cars will be replaced by one robotaxi. At 10% average daily utilization for individually owned cars, let's assume one robotaxi replaces the sale of 5 cars. A manufacturer who can output 2 million robotaxis per year will displace the sale of 10 million cars. "Disruption" will take on a whole new meaning. But it's unlikely that it will happen in all markets at the same time. We are already seeing quite a lot of protectionism in action to slow down BEV adoption and protect the status quo. Once robotaxis wrecked one market, there will be a lot of resistance in others.

I think the point being made is different. Here in the UK, small cars are a desirable thing because our roads are so narrow. We dont want a smaller car because we think that will save us money. We want a smaller car because a smaller car is WAY more practical than a bigger one.
I really think a lot of people in the US just do not realize how narrow UK and other European countries roads can be. We laid out all our cities in a time of horseback transport, and it shows.

0_JS153348938.jpg

I spent £73k on a fully loaded performance model Y. If there had been an option to shrink that same car by 10% in every direction, I'd have jumped at it. Even paid extra.
Parking my Y at home in central London nearly always leaves my wheels hanging over the edge of the parking line. I need to be no more than half an inch from the gutter for the wheels to be fully inside the line. And my street is relatively wide compared to many in the area.

in the pic below I'm about 3 inches away from the gutter. I could get a ticket if a grumpy parking officer walked past, but it's better than getting wheel rash. A narrower vehicle would have its advantages.
20230201_081634.jpg

Reuters but in this case it’s ‘someone with knowledge of the plan’ instead of ‘people familiar with the matter’ so it must be true 😉
So back to the numbers from September...

"That level of production would take the plant's output to roughly its rate in September, when it turned out 82,088 Model 3 and Model Y cars, according to data from China Passenger Car Association."

I think the point being made is different. Here in the UK, small cars are a desirable thing because our roads are so narrow. We dont want a smaller car because we think that will save us money. We want a smaller car because a smaller car is WAY more practical than a bigger one.
I really think a lot of people in the US just do not realize how narrow UK and other European countries roads can be. We laid out all our cities in a time of horseback transport, and it shows.

0_JS153348938.jpg

I spent £73k on a fully loaded performance model Y. If there had been an option to shrink that same car by 10% in every direction, I'd have jumped at it. Even paid extra.
I bought an S because I like large cars, and I love the styling far more than the 3 or Y. Its even wider than yours so I understand your point about our roads. Whereas most places are fine, shopping errands around our local town are a complete pain in the S (No pun intended). I solved the issue by buying an older Leaf to do all the local runs and errand work. I'm not sure that's an optimum solution environmentally mind!

He isn't a stupid guy and has access to all sorts of advice. I just can't believe that his thesis really comes down to "it's valuation is high compared to other car companies". Do those guys sit around and wonder why Ferrari is worth far more per car than VW?

Edit,

Well maybe @Thekiwi is right and Chenos is stupid.
Apple had a low teens p/e as it was compared to dell by the Wall Street illuminati.

Reactions: Olle