Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, from the entire 3hrs long lecture, not once did they mention in order to get to 50% reduction in cost, they will need to get rid of the steering wheel. Not even the autonomy section where they could of said something along the lines of "this would allow us to reduce user driver controls like the steering wheel to save cost". Since they didn't, it'sall people care about, can it still be driven? If yes then crisis averted.
Dang I never thought about that type of stuff being the catalyst for real cost reduction, just removing the steering wheel and pedals etc would reduce cost. Then you can stop making the driver's side of the vehicle a "driver's" side, make the vehicle fully symmetrical, reduce complexity and manufacturing there.

If only true autonomy were anywhere close to reality right now

I just scheduled my first service visit in a while (new windshield - again.... CO winters are rough on glass). Apparently not only do they not do loaners anymore but also don't do ride-share credits.... Not thrilled about this as a consumer.

I'm not sure how to feel as an investor - it's obviously saving money, but not exactly building goodwill...
Given that is non-warranty work, do you want them to increase the cost of the windshield replacement to cover your temporary transportation, along with markup, or would you rather deal with it yourself at cost?

I just scheduled my first service visit in a while (new windshield - again.... CO winters are rough on glass). Apparently not only do they not do loaners anymore but also don't do ride-share credits.... Not thrilled about this as a consumer.

I'm not sure how to feel as an investor - it's obviously saving money, but not exactly building goodwill... Also not getting butts in seats ( missing the opportunity to show me what my car is missing - heated steering wheel, heated wipers?, updated center console, bioweapon defense, probably more I don't know about too). As an investor, I want you to make me want to upgrade!
Took my Model 3 in for an airbag issue last week. Still under warranty. They gave me Uber credits. It took a few days for them to complete. The next day the service manager called and offered me a loaner Model 3. I took him up on it just to test drive another Model 3, hoping it was a newer model, to compare it to mine. Turns out it was also a 2019 Model 3 built two months after mine.

New Semi Video:

And this is the twitter link with most of the information:

This guy has had some great insights from Investor Day (he was there) where he spoke to Tom Zhu! He's interviewed Franz before, if I remember correctly. Cybertruck info is tomorrow...

Last edited:
Given that is non-warranty work, do you want them to increase the cost of the windshield replacement to cover your temporary transportation, along with markup, or would you rather deal with it yourself at cost?
Since you asked, I'd rather the windshield replacement be a bit more expensive and have a loaner - for the "make me want to upgrade" factor and since my insurance is paying for the windshield (minus $100) anyway.

The more I learn about Tesla, the more I confirm my suspicions as I looked at technology growth and pondered as to why legacy automakers seemed to always lag decades behind, failing to implement widely used technologies we saw appear in so many other consumer products.

It was frustrating for me owning cars over the years and being so consistently disappointed, while working in tech industries and knowing they could do this or that much better. Granted, finally, they began including many up-charge items, like cruise control, AC, power locks/windows, etc. as standard features. They could have done so much earlier, and brought more innovation to their products as well. Seeing Tesla do this as a matter of course is the proof that it can happen in the auto sector as easily as it did in computers, entertainment products, etc.

Looking back with a perspective now based upon what Tesla has done, and is doing, in regard to actually keeping their product on the cutting edge of tech it seems almost disrespectful to a consumer the way the legacy OEMs have dragged their feet, unable to innovate and improve both the product and the manufacturing process.

Tesla has demonstrated that not only can it be done, but, it can be done quickly enough to completely disrupt the entire sector. In doing so they have pulled back the curtain on the "wizards" of legacy auto to show how they only made improvements when they had to, rather than doing so as a matter of pride in their work. They have been resting on their laurels since sometime shortly after the transition from horse and buggy. Is it any wonder that so many of them, and the ideology from top management down to union workers on the line, will at best struggle to remain relevant in the least degree if they don't go away completely.

I say bring the MM's up and downs, the shorties plays, and lay down the FUD as thick as possible, Tesla has already reached escape velocity and is comfortably in orbit looking down upon all the players so desperate to maintain their status quo. Whatever they are trying to preserve from the past, whether it be fossil fuels, century-old manufacturing processes, or playing fast and loose within the bounds of a rigged stock market, the effects upon Tesla have been minimal and temporary.

"Unassailable lead" is the term SMR has used for years, and it really does best describe the situation.

Bring on more of these shenanigans.

I ain't skeered. I hold shares of TSLA.
The ironic part of this all is since big auto's main job is to assemble off the shelf stuff into a car, they never bothered to reinvent the production line. This literally should be their only job what they should bring to the table. But I guess "this is how we always did it" type attitude resulted in a scrappy start up reinventing the assembly line after a century has passed.

Since you asked, I'd rather the windshield replacement be a bit more expensive and have a loaner - for the "make me want to upgrade" factor and since my insurance is paying for the windshield (minus $100) anyway.
Increasing the cost to your insurance company will eventually increase your insurance premiums. No matter what, in the end you are paying for the loaner/Uber credits.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man and SO16
FFS, if anyone still mentions Ross Gerber as a meaningful addition to the BOD... I'm like: WTF?? 😆
How is it possible that he doesn't understand the difference between lidar and radar after all those years advocating for Tesla?

IMG_20230307_215153.jpg

New Semi Video:

And this is the twitter link with most of the information:

This guy has had some great insights from Investor Day (he was there) where he spoke to Tom Zhu! He's interviewed Franz before, if I remember correctly. Cybertruck info is tomorrow...
Interesting news on Semi. All wheel drive should prove to be very popular with drivers in climates with snow and ice. If it avoids the need to chain up even occasionally that will be a big deal! It also means you can get regen braking from all wheels as well, perhaps measurable regarding range.

This is interesting. Are ICEs standardized to the point that most components are identical across brands?
If you ever watch some of these youtubers fixing completely wrecked cars, you find that many parts are standardized. There are Volvo parts that end up in an Audi. There are Ferrari parts and Lambo parts being the exact same part. Ferrari charges 65, lambo charges 340, and you can find a generic one on ebay for 12 dollars...lol.

These companies just take parts from suppliers and then stamp their own logo on it.

Interesting news on Semi. All wheel drive should prove to be very popular with drivers in climates with snow and ice. If it avoids the need to chain up even occasionally that will be a big deal! It also means you can get regen braking from all wheels as well, perhaps measurable regarding range.
That change seems extremely sus...
Joints on front axle that has the least load, minimal packaging space, extra differentials. If true, I'll be interested in the first principle basis.
Also a major change to put into production since delivery event in December.

Joints on front axle that has the least load, minimal packaging space, extra differentials. If true, I'll be interested in the first principle basis.
Not sure how legit it is, but one big advantage here is you have another axel applying regenerative braking force.

FFS, if anyone still mentions Ross Gerber as a meaningful addition to the BOD... I'm like: WTF?? 😆
How is it possible that he doesn't understand the difference between lidar and radar after all those years advocating for Tesla?

View attachment 914969
To be fair, I would surmise Ross is mostly caught off guard by the reintroduction of any radar period. He goes on to ask if it's not "basically the same thing", and it kinda is in the sense that hi-res radar is now being pushed as a replacement for LIDAR in autonomous vehicles or a way to supplement fewer LIDAR sensors and thus reduce cost of the sensor suite.

All these HW4 details are kinda being glossed over by Tesla, to the point where it wasn't even mentioned (surprising to me) at Investor day and questions about it were just ignored.

Reactions: Nocturnal

Only thing I can think of for them to make that change it that is was wearing down the two climb axles tires too fast having one motor per tire

Another is that one of the axles can be lifted with light enough load for more range, if you did that before, you either lost your climb axle, or lost the efficient single motor axle