Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FrSEb8FWwAIUEZE

V4 voltage/current :eek: :cool:
Source:

I can't believe I'm questioning whether or not TD Ameritrade will keep my IRA shares in tact should they (TD) collapse. Some have indicated they "should" be fine, but can they sell them in a BK liquidation situation? And would the remaining be only backed by FDIC at $250K?
Since TD Ameritrade accounts will become Schwab accounts you’ll have SIPC.

If my very basic understanding of electrical stuff is correct: 1000v * 615A = 615 kW max charge rate.

Presumably amperage is unchanged at 500v so 307 kW at 500v?

This seems like an ok bump for existing owners and is pretty good news for Cybertruck. Not the 1000 kW rate some have been talking up, but it will easily take the crown for fastest rate of charge of any EV on the planet for some time.

*Some* owners have experienced delays and been, what they consider, over charged.

Gosh, that’s never happened before concerning any other OEM. Gee, don’t OEMs still refuse to cover certain warranty items if the car hasn’t been serviced at a dealership? Why, yes. Indeed.

It’s like our plaintiff never owned a car before their Tesla. Nor bothered to do simple due diligence and asked questions.

🥱

Just had my 3 in for trunk harness replacement and fix my passenger door mechanism. Got an appointment within a week’s time (could have gotten a sooner one but wanted one that was more convenient for me) and the repairs were complete before end of day. Additionally, and included for free, they checked several other aspects of the car since no one has looked at it for years.

I assume you mean SIPC?

This page might be useful for you:

tl;dr is per FINRA "In virtually all cases, when a brokerage firm ceases to operate, customer assets are safe and typically are transferred in an orderly fashion to another registered brokerage firm"

Plus there's added layers of protection beyond that including brokers being required to keep customer assets segregated from their own... but if ALL that somehow ALL fails then yeah SIPC would cover you for 500k in securities per customer. Note a roth IRA and a traditional one would be treated as seperate so you'd have 500k coverage on each.
Thanks for bringing that up. How does that limit apply if somebody has accounts with more than one brokerage?

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Gee, don’t OEMs still refuse to cover certain warranty items if the car hasn’t been serviced at a dealership? Why, yes. Indeed.

Not only do they not do that, it's illegal to do that unless the service is free at the dealership.

Not that OEM dealers don't suck for a myriad of other reasons- but the process of tying you describe hasn't been legal since 1975.

Just had my 3 in for trunk harness replacement and fix my passenger door mechanism. Got an appointment within a week’s time

FWIW my 3 hasn't had this service yet.

In fact, it can't even be scheduled in the app- instead it specifically tells me I will be contacted when parts are available for my vehicle, which they are not currently.

Same message it has displayed for this 2021 recall for a good while now. My rear camera works fine, so I'm in no rush- but it does in fact seem they're still a bit slow on some work/parts.

Thanks for bringing that up. How does that limit apply if somebody has accounts with more than one brokerage?

AFAIK accounts at different SPIC insured brokers each have their own 500k limit...(and as mentioned in some cases even accounts at the SAME broker can have their own 500k limit if they're treated as different in some relevant way.... reg. IRA vs roth- or single owned vs joint owed as examples)

Last edited:
Did the buyer wandered into a luxury brand and expect to pay jiffy lube to fix everything that's wrong with the car? If you want a car that can be fixed by everyone, get a honda civic. I had to travel around just to find a mechanic willing to swap out our Volkswagen's battery due to the computer system will reset which breaks the car.

Yes, most mechanics wouldn't touch a Tesla, many barely wants to change a Tesla's tire, let alone fixing the thing. As for "overpaying for repairs", every luxury dealership is like "hold my beer". Ferrari is like "hold my keg". Ferrari purposely designed their cars just to gouge their customers during schedule maintenance. Yes of course it takes 4 mechanics 20 hours taking the car apart to change the oil that cost 7000 dollars.....while other companies you can suck the oil out of a tube in 5 mins.
Next time you change the battery on a late model car, do it hot. That eliminates the problem. Another reason to own a Tesla. Pm me as to how.

If my very basic understanding of electrical stuff is correct: 1000v * 615A = 615 kW max charge rate.

Presumably amperage is unchanged at 500v so 307 kW at 500v?

This seems like an ok bump for existing owners and is pretty good news for Cybertruck. Not the 1000 kW rate some have been talking up, but it will easily take the crown for fastest rate of charge of any EV on the planet for some time.
Is it a requirement that the equipment be able to produce the rated voltage and the rated current simultaneously? If not, it's possible that the power is capped at say 400 kW so as voltage increases, current has to decrease and the maximum the equipment could produce at say 1000V is 400A.

I feel like a lot of this government protection for brokerage accounts talk is a bit misguided. It is a very different situation than if cash is held.

Could you lose all your investments? I guess if there was fraud, sure, and that is what SIPC would protect against, but you are more likely to lose all of your investment because a company you are holding stock in goes BK than because your brokerage fails.

Securities are very different animal than cash in a bank like what happened at Silicon Valley Bank.

Note that is just the rating for the Supercharger post, the actual charger is still just 500v/250kW, as seen in the third tweet:

FrSFAnMWwAIjQrS
"Energy stored in capacitor. Do not remove cover after 5 minutes after disconnecting the equipment"

Is this new - capacitor, or just 'standard' warning ?
If new, my guess is that it might prevent against very short outages to normalize the charge period.

• Funny
Reactions: transpondster

The only silver lining to this shitcloud is that the bill grandfather's Tesla's existing location. ONE location in all of the state of MS from which Tesla can sell and service cars.

There are times that I wonder if we as a species need to cease to exist. This is one of those times.
Another example of a self serving government

I feel like a lot of this government protection for brokerage accounts talk is a bit misguided. It is a very different situation than if cash is held.

Could you lose all your investments? I guess if there was fraud, sure, and that is what SIPC would protect against, but you are more likely to lose all of your investment because a company you are holding stock in goes BK than because your brokerage fails.

Securities are very different animal than cash in a bank like what happened at Silicon Valley Bank.
So, paper backup of your portfolio is enough?

• Helpful
Reactions: kbM3 and SOULPEDL
AFAIK accounts at different SPIC insured brokers each have their own 500k limit...(and as mentioned in some cases even accounts at the SAME broker can have their own 500k limit if they're treated as different in some relevant way.... reg. IRA vs roth- or single owned vs joint owed as examples)
Quick Survey...

1. People here splitting up accounts? Informative. ℹ️
2. People already split it up for reason above? Raise a thumb. 👍
3. People not there yet? Give some love. ❤️

Not only do they not do that, it's illegal to do that unless the service is free at the dealership.

Not that OEM dealers don't suck for a myriad of other reasons- but the process of tying you describe hasn't been legal since 1975.
Meh. Happens all the time regardless of you repeating *law*. People and entities break laws all the time and continue to do so daily.

Your insistence to repeat rules, regulations, and laws as if they somehow are followed to the letter by all of the human race without fail is 🥱 at best.
FWIW my 3 hasn't had this service yet.
In fact, it can't even be scheduled in the app- instead it specifically tells me I will be contacted when parts are available for my vehicle, which they are not currently.
Same message it has displayed for this 2021 recall for a good while now. My rear camera works fine, so I'm in no rush- but it does in fact seem they're still a bit slow on some work/parts.
If your latch fails to work any longer, I assure you Tesla will fix it at the next appointment time you schedule (provided they have a replacement in hand) regardless of the generic message *you* receive. They literally just did that for me.

So again, I suggest you not be so literal in all things in life. It doesn’t work that way for realz.

Well due to Tsla's stock rise, legacy auto believes that if they also position themselves as EV makers, they too will have hundreds of billions in valuation. So even though their production and sales suggest that EV revenue doesn't even pay for their corporate taxes, they are all advertising the CRAP out of the few EV models they have. Every commercial is about EVs, their show rooms are now purposely built to show case their EV. We even see a Toyota EV in the middle of a hockey game on the ICE! It certainly gives people the impression that ICE is old and will be replaced and people need to buy an EV to future proof. It's kind of hilarious that all these auto are just pushing sales of....Teslas so hard...lol.
Whilst driving eastbound on HWY 115, skirting the southern edge of Peterborough ON, I saw the MB dealership and it’s new banner which read something like “Come and see the new electric Mercedes Benz’s”.

Whilst driving eastbound on HWY 115, skirting the southern edge of Peterborough ON, I saw the MB dealership and it’s new banner which read something like “Come and see the new electric Mercedes Benz’s”.
I think we are going to see EV choice fatigue for people. It's hard for anyone to keep up with what is out now, what is coming out, and what is a prototype. It's going to be like the andriod world in which there are a billion models of phones and it's hard to choose...hence why people just stick with Apple and the few choices they provide.