Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already being framed as a bit of a miss. CNBC article (bolding is mine):

According to a mean of estimates, compiled by FactSet as of Friday, Wall Street was expecting Tesla to report deliveries around 432,000 vehicles for the quarter. Estimates included in the FactSet analysis ranged from 410,000 to 451,000 deliveries expected.

The independent researcher who publishes under the handle TroyTeslike was expecting deliveries of 427,000 and production totaling 445,920 vehicles.

Can't say I am not disappointed deliveries weren't closer to 430K. Nothing in long term, but not sure this will pop the stock...at least until folks realize it is against the backdrop of a crap market in China, etc.

Why do these Factset estimates never come out before the numbers are released? It’s like the Factset methodology is to wait until they come out and then add 10k.

According to a mean of estimates, compiled by FactSet as of Friday, Wall Street was expecting Tesla to report deliveries around 432,000 vehicles for the quarter. Estimates included in the FactSet analysis ranged from 410,000 to 451,000 deliveries expected.

The independent researcher who publishes under the handle TroyTeslike was expecting deliveries of 427,000 and production totaling 445,920 vehicles.

Can't say I am not disappointed deliveries weren't closer to 430K. Nothing in long term, but not sure this will pop the stock...at least until folks realize it is against the backdrop of a crap market in China, etc.
Hmmmm….

On March 14th Troy estimated 413k deliveries- and Tesla beat that

On March 18th Troy revised his estimate to 418k deliveries - and Tesla beat that

On March 31st Troy revised his estimate once again to 426k - a number that would be higher than Tesla’s actual deliveries…and CNBC was already prepared with a “It’s a Miss!” article that was in-part based on Troy’s last minute ‘revision’.

Odd….

Last edited:

In my long term holding opinion, a record P&D quarter is NEVER a miss. Tesla is trending in an extremely positive direction, that's all which matters to me. :cool:

I'm more interested in Tesla Energy deliveries. I wish we got that info ahead of the quarterly earnings. I consider that info far more significant than S/X deliveries.
At this point, production/deliveries info is rather meaningless unless they come in way higher of way lower than expectations. Where TSLA goes for the next 2 quarters is all dependent on COGS and margins.

Energy will be key for investors but likely ignores by wall st for as long as possible

We have confirmation that is still the case? They might be assembling packs in the US with cells shipped from China

Same goes for Megapack, cells could been shipping instead of packs
Even then, most of value is in the cells. Additionally, "battery" as used in the IRA really means module, not pack.
(5) QUALIFYING BATTERY COMPONENT.—
(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘qualifying battery component’ means any of the following:​
(i) Electrode active materials.​
(ii) Battery cells.​
(iii) Battery modules.​
(B) ASSOCIATED DEFINITIONS.—​
(i) ELECTRODE ACTIVE MATERIAL.—The term ‘electrode active material’ means cathode materials, anode materials, anode foils, and electrochemically active materials, including solvents, additives, and electrolyte salts that contribute to the electrochemical processes necessary for energy storage .​
(ii) BATTERY CELL.—The term ‘battery cell’ means an electrochemical cell—​
(I) comprised of 1 or more positive electrodes and 1 or more negative electrodes,​
(II) with an energy density of not less than 100 watt-hours per liter, and​
(III) capable of storing at least 12 watt-hours of energy.​
(iii) BATTERY MODULE.—The term ‘battery module’ means a module—​
(I)​
(aa) in the case of a module using battery cells, with 2 or more battery cells which are configured electrically, in series or parallel, to create voltage or current, as appropriate, to a specified end use, or​
(bb) with no battery cells, and​
(II) with an aggregate capacity of not less than 7 kilowatt-hours (or, in the case of a module for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, not less than 1 kilowatt-hour).

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Looks like production in Q1 was only up about 1,100 vs. Q4 '22.
If I had to guess, Chinese production was down, Europe and US up. Also I think they went all out on Q4 to hit their target, whereas this quarter seemed business as usual. Now that Berlin is 5K+ the numbers will start to ramp quickly.

Tesla needs to drop S+X price 10K+ more in the US to get line utilization higher.

And at some point the high water mark 50% growth goal becomes less and less likely.

There were 2 less days in the quarter and Chinese New Year.
But Shanghai also had downtime at the end of Q4 as well. Overall considering Berlin and Austin are supposed to be going through big production ramps, to see so little production growth QoQ is not great.

The flip side to that though is Shanghai at least so far, seems to be full production for all of Q2 and the China market seems to be recovering some. Production from Q1 to Q2 should see a major ramp up. If not, there’s concerns

Tesla needs to drop S+X price 10K+ more in the US to get line utilization higher.
If they do that and put actual HW4 in it instead of this 3.5 nonsense I’ll have to take a hard look at a Plaid S again.

Great numbers in my eyes. Q1 is always the week quarter. To get a record on it is astonishing. Let’s not forget how incredible this team is, every quarter, again and again.

I'm more visual as many of you know - this helps me put the numbers into perspective:
(Edit: thx @mongo for the correction)

1680454192386.png

So looked at this way, yes it's a record quarter, but no, not better than previous Q1s. In fact, from a GR perspective, it's the worst YoY increase since 2020 Q2 (the start of the pandemic):

1680454748433.png

But I look forward to faster growth as Berlin and Austin keep ramping (ever the optimist!).

Last edited:
They were selling inventory s/x with up to 30k€ discounts here last week.. also I know many people who canceled their orders in Europe, orders made 2-3 years ago.

Lot of uncertainty now, interest on car financing is about 5,5%, then putlers war.. so economic situation is not good.

If Tesla had brought s/x plaid to europe 2 years ago, they would have sold like hotcakes. Now, not so much, not so simple to buy a 150k car in this turmoil

And at some point the high water mark 50% growth goal becomes less and less likely.
44% YoY production 36% YoY deliveries against the headwinds of wave unrolling and the reduced shutdown in Shanghai in 2022

I'm more visual as many of you know - this helps me put the numbers into perspective:

View attachment 924166

So looked at this way, yes it's a record quarter, but no, not better than previous Q1s. In fact, from a CAGR perspective, not a great quarter. In fact it's the worth QoQ and YoY increase since 2020 Q2:

View attachment 924173

But I look forward to faster growth as Berlin and Austin keep ramping (ever the optimist!).
Your Q1 2022 data is wrong
SmartSelect_20230402_124421_Firefox.jpg

10-Q:
SmartSelect_20230402_124849_Firefox.jpg