Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you think about a campaign to educate people about the advantages of Tesla EV ownership aimed at correcting the misconceptions and FUD (ie prices, TCO, range, convenience, etc), but simply sent out organically via Tesla's Twitter account (ie "free")?
Honestly I would not recommend any action at all without examining in detail the data they have and results they have had. The worst marketing mistakes I have seen have all resulted from deciding whatbapproach tomate prior to examining all available data. I suspect none of us actually know what they’ve tested and what results they’ve had.

Many of us seem to decide an action without actual evidence, just based on criticism of, say, a given pricing decision. Despite my opinions, I would not recommend any action without knowing all available evidence.

FWIW, the Twitter stuff isn’t free either.

I wonder if Tesla ads would have a higher return than the industry average because Tesla vehicles are so differentiated from other offerings on the market.
What Media outlet would dare publish a Tesla Ad? 🤣

But if they did, you all wouldn't stop talking about it, and biased that way from the get go. It would likely become the most talked about ad in history! 69 Gazillion hits guaranteed! Some would watch it 5 times, then slow motion looking for clues, then in reverse checking the audio stream.

There was an Ad once displayed on New York Times Square - done 3rd party we believe. I forgo what it was now... Something something Tesla?

All this, and no battery fire! ...

Definitely agree that, especially given all the nonsense/exaggeration/lies about battery fies, it is darned impressive that there was no battery fire. Kudos to the Tesla team on that.

Not directed at Dodger, but just general thoughts:
From a more general safety perspective: I don't think there's much here other than a miracle. "The Tesla left the road at a high rate of speed ejecting the driver..." Getting ejected from a car is not a safety design feature (no matter what the anti-seatbelt crowd says about being "thrown clear" of an accident). Not sure what might have happened if the driver stayed inside this car...but surviving being ejected from any car is just luck. Between the trees, sharp objects, the ground, and heavy car parts bouncing around, once you're flying outside the vehicle, the car itself doesn't have anything to do with your survival. It doesn't matter if it was a Model T, a Pinto, a Mercedes, or a Tesla...all that's left to save the former vehicle occupant is luck and the medical team.

The crazy destruction in these images tells you that speed was probably ridiculously high, and the impact was huge. The other side of the "luck" is that there (apparently?) weren't any passengers. There just isn't any surviveable space left. I don't see anything negative about Tesla safety here...just a huge warning against high speeds in ANY car, and against whatever other factors lead to this crash.

FucpxHyX0AAbMOF

FucpxH3WAAEK0zm

Side note: If I'm not mistaken, I think this was a 7-seat Y. I recognize those third-row seatbacks and headrests.

*Edited a few times for clarity and to add extra thoughts.

Last edited:
X (Pravda) is coming? I hope... Journalist better brush up on facts if this happens. But will people care? GJ does well and is full of it. Interesting experiment to say the least.

I'd pay for honesty in media and news. $10 for a "Just the Facts" button. Where do I sign up for that subscription?

Definitely agree that, especially given all the nonsense/exaggeration/lies about battery fies, it is darned impressive that there was no battery fire. Kudos to the Tesla team on that.

Not directed at Dodger, but just general thoughts:
From a more general safety perspective: I don't think there's much here other than a miracle. "The Tesla left the road at a high rate of speed ejecting the driver..." Getting ejected from a car is not a safety design feature (no matter what the anti-seatbelt crowd says about being "thrown clear" of an accident). Not sure what might have happened if the driver stayed inside this car...but surviving being ejected from any car is just luck. Between the trees, sharp objects, the ground, and heavy car parts bouncing around, once you're flying outside the vehicle, the car itself doesn't have anything to do with your survival. It doesn't matter if it was a Model T, a Pinto, a Mercedes, or a Tesla...all that's left to save the former vehicle occupant is luck and the medical team.

The crazy destruction in these images tells you that speed was probably ridiculously high, and the impact was huge. The other side of the "luck" is that there (apparently?) weren't any passengers. There just isn't any surviveable space left. I don't see anything negative about Tesla safety here...just a huge warning against high speeds in ANY car, and against whatever other factors lead to this crash.

FucpxHyX0AAbMOF

FucpxH3WAAEK0zm

Side note: If I'm not mistaken, I think this was a 7-seat Y. I recognize those third-row seatbacks and headrests.

Side effect from the castings at 100+mph from increased rigidity concentration?
Could be, but can't tell.

Edit to elaborate... The Front/Rear castings could be more uniformly strengthened by design and possibly stronger overall than prior designs. This could move (or even focus) the failure point to the connection with the battery pack or some other structural member outside the castings. The auto repair discussion on my wreck was that if it was hit hard enough on the side into the castings, there would be no fixing it. So I have a hunch hypothesis that this "vehicle separation" will be seen again and might be associated with castings.)

Further adding... by design to prevent battery fractures? Maybe it's why it did not burn. Ya never know.

Last edited:
I wonder if Tesla ads would have a higher return than the industry average because Tesla vehicles are so differentiated from other offerings on the market.

I mean, if someone wants a truck there’s not much about an F-150 vs a Silverado 1500 that would be novel or surprising to present in an ad, but Tesla has lots of great unique features to present that most of the population doesn’t know about.
Definitely. The Tesla and EV ignorance outside of the Tesla owner and investor base is unbelievable…I have no idea why anyone would be against Tesla doing informicials to help inform the people.

I have no idea why anyone would be against Tesla doing informicials to help inform the people.
I personally think .... USP of Tesla is that they have the "try fast and fail fast" philosophy. So they can be very flexible and agile. But, not when it comes to some stuff Elon has a blind allegiance to ... like not doing ads.

I personally think .... USP of Tesla is that they have the "try fast and fail fast" philosophy. So they can be very flexible and agile. But, not when it comes to some stuff Elon has a blind allegiance to ... like not doing ads.
Yup đź’Ż

99% of the people don’t know how affordable a Tesla is and how advanced a Tesla is. Unfortunately, Elon thinks Twitter is the real world.

Definitely. The Tesla and EV ignorance outside of the Tesla owner and investor base is unbelievable…I have no idea why anyone would be against Tesla doing informicials to help inform the people.

Tesla also posts on Twitter and produces YouTube videos.

Informercials in that space are easy to do, and initially, I think the best approach is to invest in quality content, witty and informative..

There are many others also putting out content on those platforms.

The next step could be to have a web ads campaign / media campaign which directs people to the social media sites with the information.

IMO a key point is that EV ignorance is probably to some extent intentional, some people don't like change and risk, they prefer to be late adopters.
And the additional point is there is a wall of FUD which will dilute any well intentioned advertising campaign, precisely because the company advertising their product is never consider to be impartial.

The information is available for anyone who wants to know, the genuinely curious tend to ask an EV driver a few questions, we have all had that experience. People trust someone they asked, who they can relate to, far more than they trust advertisements. It isn't hard for anyone who is curious to find an EV driver, and it will keep getting easier.

My point is, no advertisement will inform someone who doesn't want to know.

Outside of the US, the mainstream media provides fairly well balanced an informative information, the FUD is often balanced with the alternative point of view. My impression of the US is the media seems to be siloed, the anti-EV FUD is mainly in right wing media outlets, and that is also true to some extent in Australia.

Overall I still say it isn't hard for anyone who is genuinely curious about EVs, or at least open to being informed, to find out.

I've talked to many in my extended family about EVs. The fact that EVs are new and the possible lack of fast charging where they want to go are the main issues holding them back. I've planted the seed,, and in time it will germinate. I was able to answer any genuine questions they had. I've been driving an EV since 2019, soon that will be 5 years of ownership. Friends and family are taking note, even if they don't seem to be,. Me having 5+ years of trouble free ownership will help make their decision easier.

Tesla also posts on Twitter and produces YouTube videos.

Informercials in that space are easy to do, and initially, I think the best approach is to invest in quality content, witty and informative..

There are many others also putting out content on those platforms.

The next step could be to have a web ads campaign / media campaign which directs people to the social media sites with the information.

IMO a key point is that EV ignorance is probably to some extent intentional, some people don't like change and risk, they prefer to be late adopters.
And the additional point is there is a wall of FUD which will dilute any well intentioned advertising campaign, precisely because the company advertising their product is never consider to be impartial.

The information is available for anyone who wants to know, the genuinely curious tend to ask an EV driver a few questions, we have all had that experience. People trust someone they asked, who they can relate to, far more than they trust advertisements. It isn't hard for anyone who is curious to find an EV driver, and it will keep getting easier.

My point is, no advertisement will inform someone who doesn't want to know.

Outside of the US, the mainstream media provides fairly well balanced an informative information, the FUD is often balanced with the alternative point of view. My impression of the US is the media seems to be siloed, the anti-EV FUD is mainly in right wing media outlets, and that is also true to some extent in Australia.

Overall I still say it isn't hard for anyone who is genuinely curious about EVs, or at least open to being informed, to find out.

I've talked to many in my extended family about EVs. The fact that EVs are new and the possible lack of fast charging where they want to go are the main issues holding them back. I've planted the seed,, and in time it will germinate. I was able to answer any genuine questions they had. I've been driving an EV since 2019, soon that will be 5 years of ownership. Friends and family are taking note, even if they don't seem to be,. Me having 5+ years of trouble free ownership will help make their decision easier.
This whole word of mouth thing was fine when demand exceeded production. Now, production exceeds demand. Tesla needs to get to the next set of users that are not tech savvy people. Let’s say there is a limited tax credit (as was the case until April 18), why not advertise the heck out of it saying you can get a Tesla Model 3 RWD for 35K? Not many people follow what’s happening to tax credits or incentives at the federal level or state level. People don’t even know how much a Tesla costs.

This whole word of mouth thing was fine when demand exceeded production. Now, production exceeds demand. Tesla needs to get to the next set of users that are not tech savvy people. Let’s say there is a limited tax credit (as was the case until April 18), why not advertise the heck out of it saying you can get a Tesla Model 3 RWD for 35K? Not many people follow what’s happening to tax credits or incentives at the federal level or state level. People don’t even know how much a Tesla costs.
Because to advertise about tax credits now would be Ludacris. Until the tax credit becomes point of sale there is no use advertising it. Imagine the blow back when people complain they did not get $7500 back because of their tax status. Hello class action suit.

After four days and still talk of Tesla advertising. When one thinks of an EV, what car company comes to mind. Tesla. Other car companies are advertising for Tesla, "like a Tesla", "faster than a Tesla", more range than a Tesla." That is free advertising and evidence of a serious brand equity. Case close.

If Tesla were too advertise, I hope they would steal Ferrari's tag line. It's something Elon would say, confident and true............................................
..........................." We are the competition".

Because to advertise about tax credits now would be Ludacris. Until the tax credit becomes point of sale there is no use advertising it. Imagine the blow back when people complain they did not get $7500 back because of their tax status. Hello class action suit.

After four days and still talk of Tesla advertising. When one thinks of an EV, what car company comes to mind. Tesla. Other car companies are advertising for Tesla, "like a Tesla", "faster than a Tesla", more range than a Tesla." That is some pretty powerful branding. Case close.

If Tesla were to advertise, I hope they would steal Ferrari's tag line. Cocky, confident and true................................ " We are the competition".
The problem is not competition. Tesla doesn’t have competition with other EVs. The problem to be solved is for people to become aware that EVs are better, faster, cheaper/affordable, etc.

The problem is not competition. Tesla doesn’t have competition with other EVs. The problem to be solved is for people to become aware that EVs are better, faster, cheaper/affordable, etc.
True, but as Ford, Chevy, Honda, etc all introduce their EVs they will be doing exactly that. Advertising the heck out of EV s and their benefits to get people to switch. All the while when they think of an EV what company comes to mind................Tesla.

People in younger and older demos know how to get to Tesla.com, sales shows that.

I understand the reasons to advertise, I am just explaining the many reasons why Tesla does not.

Reactions: Nathan and Baumisch
True, but as Ford, Chevy, Honda, etc all introduce their EVs they will be doing exactly that. Advertising the heck out of EV s and their benefits to get people to switch. All the while when they think of an EV what company comes to mind................Tesla.

People in younger and older demos know how to get to Tesla.com, sales shows that.

I understand the reasons to advertise, I am just explaining the many reasons why Tesla does not.
Yes, but the need of the hour is for Tesla to generate demand without cutting prices to the bone. Gross margins in Q1 even before the recent Q2 price cuts are 18.3% and operating margin is 9% (excluding credits and leasing). The main argument is that spending some money to advertise/inform is way better than keep cutting prices every two weeks. People are so fed up now that they are just waiting to see if there will be more price cuts if they just wait another few weeks or months…a car being a big ticket item, unless someone got in to an accident or a major repair to their existing car, it’s easy to postpone the purchase. Once consumers at least know that Tesla is done cutting prices for a while, they can stop postponing and getting one now. So, the key point being, Tesla thinks affordability is the main reason, when in reality, there are many other reasons why people are not choosing a Tesla, even though it’s a total no brainer.

To save you 200 pages of reading with a bunch of stuff we already know, here's everything I saw that was new:

Thanks a bunch for the summary!

Model S/X battery degradation after 200k miles (320k km) is 12% +/- 2%
  • As far as I can remember this is the first time we've gotten this data officially from Tesla instead of self-reported surveys
  • Newer vehicles are probably better

Is the "Newer vehicles are probably better" your editorial comment or was that in the report? Because Tesla's main optimization in batteries is always cost, not longevity. I personally wouldn't expect newer batteries to be better.

• Giga Texas will capture 25% of rain runoff and will use condensation from AC condensers instead of disposing as waste

Huh - You'd have to treat it for many uses since it'll be dirty, but I guess they have water treatment for internal water recycling anyways, so might as well re-use the same system for this other water. Wild.

The AI control of HVAC makes perfect sense - frankly, "normal" HVAC control system are simply awful. Anything would be better!

This graphic says it all when people complain about AP or FSD:

1682368651523-png.931442