Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People keep saying we're "running out of water" Some notes * earth's total water supply is basically constant * water is constantly changing form (liquid, evaporate to gas, freeze to solid, back to liquid, etc) and location (sea to mountains to rivers to aquifers to fields) * 70% of earth is water (and 60% of our bodies) * 2.5% of our water is fresh water

*70% of earth's surface is water*
Reposting the photo below for its sobering visual effect, showing the ratio/scale of water to earth.
When considering the importance of water on this planet, and to us; its human habitants, water has a strange dichotomy in effect: By the laws of physics, it's a self recycling resource (as noted above), but due to so much of it being mixed with salt and other elements, it has historically proven itself to be a scarce commodity in many regions where humans have chosen to live. It's only now, in these modern times, that the bulk of the world's water (seawater) is becoming more accessible to fulfilling our needs through the science of desalinization.

Damn good thing that earth has devised a way to keep it from escaping the planet, and out into the vacuum of space. :oops:

1682793193366.jpeg

And now today Musk liked and replied to a desalination tweet.

2.5% of our water is fresh water
This will take us more and more OT. But just like EM talks about efficiency and how only ~50% current energy needs to be met with renewables for transformation, we shouldn't ignore the tremendous amount of water wastage. I don't remember EM talking about conserving water.

Reactions: nativewolf
This will take us more and more OT. But just like EM talks about efficiency and how only ~50% current energy needs to be met with renewables for transformation, we shouldn't ignore the tremendous amount of water wastage. I don't remember EM talking about conserving water.
Quite OT, yes. And while I am quite in favor of moderation for online forums, I do think some degree of OT discussion is reasonable in a 'Roundtable' forum.

However, I am quite confused why posts about FSD, a product the company has been selling historically and become well-known for / sells now / talks about as a key driver for the future of the company, are consistently moved out of here, while posts about water desalinization, which is neither a historical / present / publicly-discussed future product of the company still remain here. Water desalination is an incredibly important topic for humanity, IMHO, and likely warrants as much of our attention as a species as FSD does. Why would posts about a product this company sells get moved, but posts about other major planet-wide problems which are not addressed by this company remain here in the investor roundtable? Perhaps these should go into one of the "other investment ideas" threads, since it's not a Tesla investment thing?

Perhaps a reframing of the gasoline tax should be considered. The gas tax should not be purely a type of a 'use tax' for roads, in which finding the 'right way for everyone to pay proportionately to the value they receive from the roads' makes sense. That should only be a part of the gas tax. Roads do need to be funded, and having every vehicle which uses the roads pay some share of the maintenance+expansion costs of those roads does need to happen, yes.

However, the other, more critical part of the gas tax should be paying for the damage to the environment caused by burning that gallon of gas. Whether the gas is burned in a vehicle or in a lawn mower, it still gets burned (yes, there are end-result pollution differences between burning a gallon of gas in a hybrid vs a lawn mower, but point remains). What will it cost society to remove that gallon of gasoline's pollution back out of the environment? That dollar cost should be the majority component of any gasoline tax, and I would guess it would be a far higher cost per gallon than even the most gas-tax-heavy governments currently impose. And this cost should *absolutely* not be applied in any way to those who drive this company's electric vehicles instead of gas vehicles.

The significant part of it for me was the motivation behind the move. It shows Tesla's mission is a very powerful draw for talent. There aren't many companies people work for where they state: "Words cannot express how pumped I am..." and also "I can confirm that this place moves fast, works hard, super cool and extremely talented". As a Tesla shareholder I found it uplifting to read the Tweet, if you didn't then maybe you need to question why you're a shareholder? 🤷‍♂️

Dollars to donuts this guy switched to Tesla for a higher paying job. What he posted is just the generic “words cannot describe how excited I am to work with such talented, hard-working professionals in this new job”. I’ve seen hundreds of these posts on all sorts of companies, all the way from the MBB consulting firms to the big and small tech companies.

In my view that is one key reason why I do recommend TSLA and Tesla to my friends and family. Frankly it is rare to be able to do well by doing good. Equally I do recommend buy and hold, for that is the only way to be [in theory] calm.
Same here.

It's simple to come across a company with "doing good" as mere window dressing, tacked onto an elaborate and verbose mission statement. However, discovering a company that genuinely upholds any part of its mission statement—whether it includes "doing good" or not—is far more challenging.

Finding a company that not only has "doing good", figuratively, as its one-line mission statement but also truly stands by it, provides products that people desire, and is led by committed and serious individuals is exceedingly rare. Such an occurrence is likely a once-in-a-lifetime event.

That's why it was an extremely easy decision for me to invest in TSLA.

States with yearly inspections already record mileage so that's an easy solution for them. Tesla could also transmit that data directly.

But as already noted- only a minority of states have such inspections.

Only 8 US states require annual safety inspections of passenger vehicles. Another 5 states only require them every 2 years, and many of those exempt new cars for anywhere from their first 2-10 years.

A few more require one when the vehicle is sold or brought into the state, but otherwise never.

Another 15 states require no inspections of any kind ever.

Of the ones left there's no safety inspections but there’s also a patchwork of emissions checks- and I say patchwork because it’s usually only specific counties in the state not everyone so not useful for this either- and even then they often exempt new cars for years.

Otherwise, an unlikely ground-roots effort to repeatedly bring the bill up to change the law in Texas (every 2 years?) might be a never ending battle. (perhaps has been already)
At least in Texas you can use the easy sound bite that one of the largest and fastest growing employers in the state is unable to sell the products they manufacture in the state.

That'll have even more bite in a year or so when Cybertruck is coming off the line.

It's an easy sound bite for any politician to use to beat an incumbent over the head with.

But as already noted- only a minority of states have such inspections.
Sure, and those states could implement a mileage based system now, along with a multiplier for vehicle weight, thereby creating the most fair system possible. For other states you could have a choice, either flat fee or yearly reported data, the latter structured so that it's the less expensive option. Automatically reported data could eventually be a requirement as the technology becomes more widespread, Tesla already has the potential of course.

Reactions: Thumper
It's an easy sound bite for any politician to use to beat an incumbent over the head with.

Given the heavily gerrymandered districts, something like 30-40% of all state legislature seats in Texas are unopposed (ie the incumbent is the winner before there's even an election, not even the other party bothers running someone because they have 0 chance to win let alone a primary challenger of the same party)... And most of the rest the other party runs someone and it's not especially close, but there's no primary challenge to the incumbent.

In the 2022 cycle for example only 2 state senators (out of 31) faced a primary challenge, and only 30 (out of 150) in the house (and the incumbent still wins nearly all the time).

Incumbency is stupidly sticky, and there's enough "protecting the good local businesses selling you cars" soundbites to toss right back that I can't see that being an issue moving that needle anywhere.

I do think it's an issue that'll get solved- but like most dumb things in government it'll be solved in a back room somewhere with various promises being exchanged, not at an election booth.

Reactions: traxila and jerry33
Working YT link (for now) of the HBO interview

I already watched early this morning, I have a HBO subscription myself.

A relaxed and fit mr. Musk, good to see.

And that's about all you get from that short 20 minute interview. Maher really wasted an opportunity to have a meaningful discussion with Elon, unlike Tucker who devoted around 2 hours. Maher literally used Elon as a ratings grab.

It’s not too much If you realize It’s just recouping the lost revenue previously collected from state-level gasoline taxation. The government doesn’t work for free…far from it. It’s wack-a-mole, stop paying taxes at the pump, up pops a new EV tax.
Not just state-level gas tax, but state and federal. Federal money is usually, eventually, dispersed back to the states. Still well under what the driver of common ICE vehicles pay in fuel tax.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Quite OT, yes. And while I am quite in favor of moderation for online forums, I do think some degree of OT discussion is reasonable in a 'Roundtable' forum.

However, I am quite confused why posts about FSD, a product the company has been selling historically and become well-known for / sells now / talks about as a key driver for the future of the company, are consistently moved out of here, while posts about water desalinization, which is neither a historical / present / publicly-discussed future product of the company still remain here. Water desalination is an incredibly important topic for humanity, IMHO, and likely warrants as much of our attention as a species as FSD does. Why would posts about a product this company sells get moved, but posts about other major planet-wide problems which are not addressed by this company remain here in the investor roundtable? Perhaps these should go into one of the "other investment ideas" threads, since it's not a Tesla investment thing?
I always strive to keep on topic here to improve the signal to noise ratio, albeit with some occasional jokes. Here’s why desalination and Elon’s recent comments that he expects it to solve the water crisis is 100% relevant.

Tesla is aiming to be the world’s largest and leading energy company within the next decade. The mission is to transition the entire world economy to sustainable energy. This necessarily includes all future major use cases for energy, not just the obvious ones that comprise the current major uses.

Therefore, reasoned discussion of the TAM for Tesla Energy as well as the overall scope and scale of the business must include predictions about probable changes in macroeconomics for the energy market. When the Technoking of Tesla starts talking in public about one such new use case massively scaling in the future, I believe it’s wise for Tesla investors to take notice and consider the implications. For desalination, physics first principles of thermodynamics prove that if this actually grows really big then it’s necessarily going to become one of the top future categories of energy consumption, quite possibly larger than even the entire combined transportation sector (cars/truck/aircraft/trains/ships/etc) today. It could even consume more than transportation and HVAC combined. That means more kWh of clean electricity for Tesla to produce, manage, and sell than what Tesla has explicitly guided for investors to expect.

In the spirit of science, we ought to be skeptically scrutinizing what Tesla has published in their Investor Day and Master Plan projections to try to verify or falsify the model. In my estimation, Tesla has omitted several major upcoming new categories of energy usage, of which desalination is but one, and also has neglected to fully account for the upcoming growth of some existing major categories, like air conditioning and data centers. I think they also failed to present a realistic estimate of how cheap Gen 3 EVs (with their super-low long term total cost per mile) and potentially FSD could dramatically increase the total energy consumed for ground transportation even despite the 3-4x efficiency improvement per mile relative to ICEVs. When stuff becomes cheaper and better, markets consume more of it. I don’t see a good reason to expect the energy market to behave any differently, but the Master Plan implies that we won’t exploit cheap energy to improve our quality of life. I believe that’s an absurd prediction that contradicts everything we know about economics and technology disruptions, and investors should realize this instead of taking what Tesla published at face value.

I also suspect that if Boring Co can successfully reduce the cost of tunneling, then the case for large-scale desalination increases because underground aqueduct infrastructure will become more feasible and affordable. Boring Co is of course in the broader family of interconnected companies Tesla belongs to. More aggregate tunnel demand means more innovation, more economies of scale, and ultimately faster and cheaper construction of robotaxi racetrack in more cities worldwide, which directly benefits Tesla’s future business prospects.

The problem with the FSD posts is that they always end up being circular rehashing of the same discussions we’ve had for years and no one learns anything new. Everyone already knows robotaxis are a big deal if Tesla solves the technical challenges and everyone knows there’s great disagreement and uncertainty about how long that might take if it ever even is achieved at all. All too often FSD discussions here devolve into snippy poop-flinging battles that consume too much of the thread bandwidth. I’m pretty sure that’s why the mods put a moratorium on them. Whenever something genuinely new comes up like a big update to Dojo or whatever it seems to me that the mods have usually allowed discussion to proceed while it’s still adding significant value.

Last edited:
I can't find anything recent. And the few blogs I've read say highway driving. And it isn't available in the US. Can you provide more info?
See my signature… that thread has a lot of info, including links to Chinese videos site. Mind you,you won’t see hundreds of videos like you do for FSD on YT - but a fair bit. Seems to work ok on bigger streets where the automation works.

Also see MobilEye YT channel - they have some raw demo videos. There are some very useful YT videos by MEye explaining the tech that I found convincing.

Reactions: nativewolf
In my opinion Cathie's TSLA prediction of $2000 by 2027 is pure hopium. Honestly I even feel her bear case of $1400 by 2027 is overly optimistic.

Now, I do feel she is correct in one thing: once FSD is solved and the Robotaxi fleet is deployed in a sizeable amount, then YES the stock price should be much higher than it is today, and I could see her price of $2000/share being possible.

HOWEVER, I do not feel that is likely within four years from today. First, FSD needs to be solved for Level 5. Second, the Robotaxi vehicle needs to be designed, it's factory needs to be built, and production needs to be ramped in order to put fleets on the roads. Third, Robotaxi infrastructure needs to be put in place, namely parking garages to store, charge, service, and clean the taxis. Fourth, regulations need to be put into place for all of this to happen.

FSD will one day be a massive boon to TSLA, but it's a long road to get there from here and it's going to take a lot of time for that boon to be realized. 2027 is a nigh impossibility in my opinion, and I feel Cathie is far too optimistic about her time tables for it to happen.

My opinion is TSLA will be more like $500-$700 in 2027, so less than half of her bear case.
The Gen3 RoboTaxi vechicle might be shipping from GF Mexico sometime in 2025.

FSD software and regulatory approval for it are harder to predict.

If Cathy pushed her timeframe out to 2030, I would be more inclined to believe her. For 2027, you seem more right.

IMO what eventually happens is more important than when it happens.

Yes, I agree and am usually itching to have the full conversation, but find nobody is really willing to invest the time into hearing about it. Most are looking for a buck as quickly as possible from their investments and even if they’d be attracted to something like this in principle, don’t believe it’s possible and I’m a dope for believing it is. *shrug*

I speculate that is because we do have specific threads for FSD. Factually we probably should have for many things we introduce here. If, as in fresh water, it is an important topic we logically might has a thread discussing such issues as desalination processes and limits as @Gigapress introduced a few posts ago. I’m no expert but I know a couple Israelis who are.

Wow, I didn't realized this. Well, in that case, part of the solution is to simply make annual state inspections mandatory, as it should be! I don't want to share the road with people driving on completely bald, unsafe tires, brakes about to fail, and a bunch of lights not working properly. If left to their own devices, many, maybe most, people have no regard for their own safety, let alone others. Look at how many morons drive motorcycles without helmets unless the government makes them. I've never lived in a state that did not have any form of vehicle inspection.

Just had the inspection done on our Kia. $28. I feel good about paying that knowing that everyone else has to as well, and cannot legally drive with bald tires and dangerous brakes.

Manual annual inspections to include current mileage, and tax due based on miles driven. It could even be an upfront fee included in the registration based on an average, then a reduction or increase on renewal based on actual use.

I currently do not pay any yearly EV registration fee. If I do, it would probably be somewhat fair to me as we currently drive a lot.

If the plan is to match gas tax revenue, many will drastically underpay and many will drastically over pay if a flat fee is used.

If Super Frugal Frank drives 100 miles/year in his 2012 Nissan Leaf, he shouldn't pay a $200 road use tax.

I also get your point that a flat $200 fee isn't going to make or break anyone, but if the flat fee needs to be double that to produce enough tax revenue........
Nope. Most of us don't want some bumbling kid at the local "inspection office" messing with our cars, and making up unnecessary repairs. I grew up in a backwards, regressive state that had them (NY). Went in for an inspection and was told I needed my brakes replaced. My comment-"that's funny, I just replaced them last weekend"-shut that ripoff down right away. These places see forced customers as cash cows. And...you're whining about paying a tax to operate your vehicle on the highway, at a far lower rate than most ICE drivers, who pay both state AND FEDERAL gas tax-the federal tax typically disbursed back to the states. Yet you have no compunction about forcing people to pay a draconian "vehicle inspection tax", that lines the pockets of owners of inspection centers. Now, concerning federal gas tax disbursement to the states-since states with high EV usage pay less per driver in terms of federal fuel tax-shouldn't they see less return as well?