Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CNBC evidently doesn't want to report this. My prediction... they will wait until their round-up of news just prior to the closing bell... so no viewers (the ones that don't know what the heck is going on anyway) will be able to organise purchases of TSLA before the bell.

EDIT never mind :p But their discomfort was tangible while they discussed it

Last edited:
Also if the previous story about Tesla planning to source 4680 from both Panasonic and LG (in addition the their own) is accurate, they'll presumably still have LG supply available.

Looks like LG didn't run into whatever issues Panasonic did, since they began mass producing 4680 in March according to this:

Maybe LG Chem just doesn't realize yet that it has some cell manufacturing problems. ;)

CNBC evidently doesn't want to report this. My prediction... they will wait until their round-up of news just prior to the closing bell... so no viewers (the ones that don't know what the heck is going on anyway) will be able to organise purchases of TSLA before the bell.
Anyone who relies on CNBC for Tesla related news is always going to be days behind and have a skewed view regardless.

Slightly off topic: as a TSLA investor who follows Tesla stuff, especially Tesla stuff happening in Austin, quite closely, I have to admit I was under the impression (and kinda proud) that nobody died while working on the construction of Giga Texas. But I was wrong, at least one man did die from overheating during Texas' brutal heat. His story merits posting here and I hope the working conditions discussed are fixed ASAP.
(Note: I only learned of this death because one of the twitter accounts I follow is the Green Party candidate for TX governor, who obviously did not win earlier this year)

Last edited:
pretty muted TSLA SP reaction to the Twitter CEO announcement ... there was narrative a while back that the " Twitter overhang and Elons lack of focus " was damaging the SP ... we should be up $100/sh ... oh wait is was a narrative fallacy ... "its the Fed stupid " /s
Assuming it's real, I think the largest part of the Twitter "overhang" is the risk of Twitter requiring more funding and forcing TSLA sales by Elon vs him being CEO.

pretty muted TSLA SP reaction to the Twitter CEO announcement ... there was narrative a while back that the " Twitter overhang and Elons lack of focus " was damaging the SP ... we should be up $100/sh ... oh wait is was a narrative fallacy ... "its the Fed stupid " /s
He is going to remain “exec chair & CTO, overseeing product, software & sysops.”

Not sure that will be very different from what he is already doing at twitter in terms of his time & focus.

Also doesn’t mean any difference in his public tweeting activity or any financial implications of his ownership.

A couple years ago I considered the possibility for the Model 3 to be the eventual "$25k vehicle" at a very high volume. It was shot down, and might be again. But given the introduction of the castings and structural packs, and Tesla's drive for affordability, why not change as little as possible and keep driving down the costs through volume? The Next Gen Factory Process might come out with something new still, but how new does it need to be if the structure is all in castings on a Model 3, possibly this year? In the new process, a quarter Panel could still be attached prior to final assy, so it could be made in sections still, I think. What else would need to change as far as design in order to follow the next gen flow?

And if not the same car, maybe the Model 3 becomes the stepping stone needed to co-supply the frame sections of the next Gen with commonality in the castings and then some.

I mean there is no reason a $25k EV sedan that is essentially a model 3 cant be made by tesla (there exist EV sedans models in China at that price point). But there are multiple reasons why you might not go that route:

- consumers overwhelming don’t want sedans (prefer SUVs/small crossovers/ hatchbacks)
- sedans require more raw material and are heavier than a smaller hatchback (it is a little bit harder to make a decent quality $25k sedan profitability vs a smaller hatchback)
- product segmentation: if the $25k tesla is a model 3, it will eat into sales of model Y and obviously higher priced model 3 trims.
- making the next gen vehicle a model 3 sized sedan would mean Tesla remains with big gaps in its product offering.

The beauty of the next gen vehicle instead hopefully being a smaller hatchback, is that Tesla could (if it wanted) start the first year of shipments as being a premium hatchback trim that would likely serve the pent up demand for a tesla hatchback in many international markets, and see a similar ASP to Model 3 or higher initially. There are many people that would buy a $40k+ AWD performance Tesla hot hatch in a heartbeat, and once that pent up demand from premium buyers is fulfilled, volume should be high enough to start offering the lower spec RWD trim under $30k profitability.

Last edited:
And it's a new record at 8:50, faster even than Nio with battery swap

From the few minutes I watched Bjorn was doing sub 10 minutes charging stops to ride on the 250 kW wave

I watched a few minutes here and there and then at the end. He never gave a summary of how the trip went and the stats etc.. Not even a textual summary on the video.

No kidding, comments are terrible and mostly baseless.
They are, however, fully aware of the towing challenges, weather impact, and lack of charging at Apartments. Valid concerns but it's only 2023 still.
Meanwhile, I can't wait to tow something really big with CyberTruck!
I see things as a progression of anti-EV assumptions and talking points being demolished.

• The OG Roadster demolished some talking points.
  • Model S demolished a lot of talking points.
  • Model X demolished a few more
  • Model 3/Y demolished a lot more.
  • Cybertruck will demolish some talking points that earlier cars couldn't
  • Semi will demolish a few more talking points.
  • Gen 3 cars will demolish a lot of price related talking points.
  • The next gen Roadster can demolish a few more talking points.
  • The Supercharger network demolishes a few more.
  • FSD will make ICE cars look archaic
On addition, other EV brands can chip in here and there,

By the time we get to this stage, I doubt that there are many talking points left standing, and some have had their negative assumptions corrected by real world EV experience.