Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a stockholder who wants to become rich, I wouldn't mind ads going into the cars if it brings in significant revenue.

As a Tesla enthusiast, driver, and....stockholder....I would HATE ads going into cars. I don't think Tesla will go this route. I also pray Tesla doesn't go this route. Not worth the money. Who wants to click to close ads in their car? It's annoying enough in the Solitaire game on my iPhone.
It would need to be in exchange for free premium connectivity or something.

Amazon does this with Kindles. You can pay say $100 and have no ads, or spend $75 and your Kindle has the occasional ad.

There's a type of price cuts that isn't usually discussed: inventory discounts. Model 3 RWD inventory in the US is being discounted by over $1k per unit across all configurations. This is an example in the Denver market:

View attachment 938923

The Greater LA market inventory discount is about the same.

More inventory discussion is posted here: Inventory Discussion
Right under the All Black Partial Premium Interior bullet point, they could add another bullet point to state Cobalt Free Propulsion Battery.

Internet sleuths have deduced that the energy density of the 4680 is lower than expected, can you explain why?
I don't think it's really a mystery, Tesla is likely being conservative with this new design and optimizing for longevity over energy density while they fine tune the processes. With any cell design you always compromise between competing parameters.

Elon Musk ‘can afford to include AM radio in his Teslas’: Democrats and Republicans agree AM should go in EVs​

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts and other U.S. lawmakers have rolled out a bill this week that would require car companies to have AM radio in their new vehicles, as the lawmakers aim to end the growing trend of electric vehicles getting made without that feature.
Anyone need more evidence that congress is too old?

Also, please keep ads away from my Tesla screens. That would instantly devalue the experience.

The United States Department of Justice has announced formal charges against a former Apple engineer. As reported by CNBC, Weibao Wang has been accused of stealing Apple’s autonomous driving technology for a Chinese self-driving car startup.

Hey. Does anyone know why Tesla (in Canada at least) does not offer leases with buyouts? Seems nuts. Everyone else does. I have a very good friend who is looking to trade in their 2013 S for a full on Plaid but wants a 'proper' lease (one with a buyout). No one at Tesla seems to be able to explain why they do no offer this option. Basically the lease they offer is really a 'rental'. Although he wanted the S my friend cancelled his S order and is going to buy a Taycan, Porsche happy to give him a 6% lease. As a Tesla shareholder not happy to see Tesla 'throw' away this sale. Anyone know why they do this? Especially for S and X.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and navguy12
Everyone else does.
More and more have taken to restricting end of lease options: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/advice/lease-end-options-restrictions

Basically the lease they offer is really a 'rental'.
Well, isn't a lease actually normally a rental with an option, I'd say gamble, to buy the vehicle at the end? (A gamble that the vehicle would be worth more than the residual in the lease contract. If not, you just return it.)

Tesla took the gamble out of it. If you want to own the car buy it. If you just want to use it lease, ie. rent, it for 3 years.

I suspect more OEMs will start restricting end of lease options. (And probably stop spending money to make leases affordable, as they start losing their shirts on returned ICE vehicles in the next few years.)

Hey. Does anyone know why Tesla (in Canada at least) does not offer leases with buyouts? Seems nuts. Everyone else does. I have a very good friend who is looking to trade in their 2013 S for a full on Plaid but wants a 'proper' lease (one with a buyout). No one at Tesla seems to be able to explain why they do no offer this option. Basically the lease they offer is really a 'rental'. Although he wanted the S my friend cancelled his S order and is going to buy a Taycan, Porsche happy to give him a 6% lease. As a Tesla shareholder not happy to see Tesla 'throw' away this sale. Anyone know why they do this? Especially for S and X.
The initial thought was fsd was around the corner and leases would be converted into robotaxi fleets. Tesla planned to use them, but fsd delays have thrown a wrench in the original plan

This is a classic corkscrew pattern. TSLA it’s sitting right on upper Bollinger ready to leap up could happen tomorrow or next week, but a fantastic rally is coming
Not investment advice just my personal opinion
I just loaded up on 2025 December $390 strike price calls much more than I wanted to so we’ll see what happens. I always put my money where my mouth is. I’m often wrong, so do not hold me to this.
IMG_2262.png

Elon Musk ‘can afford to include AM radio in his Teslas’: Democrats and Republicans agree AM should go in EVs​

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts and other U.S. lawmakers have rolled out a bill this week that would require car companies to have AM radio in their new vehicles, as the lawmakers aim to end the growing trend of electric vehicles getting made without that feature.
Boy, the US government is so smart and useful!

Elon owns only 13% of Tesla. We've seen this before where government officials assume he is the sole owner and seek to vilify him.

So silly, but can't this be solved with a free AM streaming app.

Anyone else suspect the question on advertising was a plant? I realize Elon is on record saying that "nothing is scripted." (Define scripted, especially if it's not written down.) Maybe they knew it would come up from all the chatter. I believe these are more likely than doing it on a whim and then "not realizing the level of interest" - I don't buy that either, not completely.

Wouldn't advertising have been considered months ago for the January lull (right next to dropping prices)? Except, ads look bad to investors as the remedy to low demand which would be the assumption if it just showed up out of the blue. But make it sound like our idea and it's harmless... right after raising prices slightly as if proof that demand had returned.

If that was the plan, well done Tesla! We can now safely include ads at will, and without causing alarm on demand. It's another lever they didn't have just yesterday.
Um. So, I listened to the stockholders meeting, then found that link to the CNBC interview and listened to that.

The interviewer was going crazy about advertising. Couldn't stop talking about it. And then one realizes: Media Gets Their Money From Advertising. What we were watching was a drooling dog with a meal before it. There Elon was, saying things like, "I did a snap judgement on the spot." "I'm thinking some cool, informative ad with how prices stack up vs. other cars." Here's this maniac from CNBC going, "Ya Gonna Do It During The Superbowl? What's the Details? Who are you going to advertise with?". Ok, the last one wasn't there, but the tenor was obvious: There Was Money To Be Made And This Guy Wanted Some Of It.

It was.. embarrassing.