Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has never ended well for those suing about "unintended acceleration". Particularly with Tesla.

The amount of data uploaded to the mothership on accidents is astounding. Tesla will be able to disclose in court video from all cameras of the incident, how much the guy weighs, how hard he was turning or not turning the steering wheel, how far and how long the accelerator is depressed, if he touched the brake pedal, etc. etc.

Simply another case of "wrong pedal pressed". Surprised Business Insider could not come up with something better. Scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Agreed. I've long thought how cheap it would be for Tesla to add a low res camera under the dash, pointed at the pedals to make these false claims evaporate...but they seem to be doing just fine with the compliment of cameras and sensors and data that they currently have.

Wow. Did it make that summary via the YouTube video? Ie. Understanding the audio? That’s a really good summary…

Yes, it uses ChatGPT and it takes a few seconds to analyze an almost two hours long video! It is free for a few videos per day and costs 10 $ for up to 200 videos / month. AI creates unexpected opportunities..
We now need to think about to which extend we want to use these. Like, would we wish to have a link to a summary for every video for expample posted on TMC? On the same time we would minimize the amount of wasted time, but we would also have less surprises and exitement when we only watch content of which we already read the summary (spoiler alert).

I was also thinking if something like this would be useful in future for example for people with hearing or memorizing difficulties? So AI could listen to all audio input one hears and if assistance is needed, AI is able to help. If somebody is interested, we can open a thread for this or I am open for a direct chat.

D0D7F914-F616-4341-B989-3A6FFF2014C3.gif

I have a few friends who are business owners, and they all prefer leases. I believe it’s a tax accounting issue; it allows them to write off the entire cost of the vehicle as a business expense, while always having a relatively new vehicle.
I agree some business owners also believe leasing is a "good deal". Owning a car also allows depreciation of the asset for tax purposes. Leasing is the most expensive way to operate a vehicle even for a business. Getting a tax deduction on an expense is not as good as having less expense by owning instead of renting.

Speaking of GM and people being overly optimistic. Apparently the top Silverado is going to have 450 miles (rated) range.

I get excited every time I hear GM‘s overly optimistic promises about the Silverado because it puts just a little more pressure on the Tesla to get Cybertruck pricing and specs better. I suspect by this time in 2025 we’ll see multiple decent electric trucks on the market in the $50k - $60k range.

EDIT: The Work/ fleet version of the Silverado is supposed to be $40k. No word on range for that.

Last edited:
Speaking of GM and people being overly optimistic. Apparently the top Silverado is going to have 450 miles (rated) range.

I get excited every time I hear GM‘s overly optimistic promises about the Silverado because it puts just a little more pressure on the Tesla to get Cybertruck pricing and specs better. I suspect by this time in 2025 we’ll see multiple decent electric trucks on the market in the $50k - $60k range.

How many will they produce with a 200kwh battery when they have a battery supply issue?

Today is a monthly expiration day for TSLA options. More interest than a weekly, but less than a quarterly. Triple Witching comes next month. My survey of today’s expiring TSLA options activity suggests that $180 would be the most profitable closing target for large option writers (hedge funds & market makers) with the ability to temporarily manipulate the TSLA share price.

Today is a monthly expiration day for TSLA options. More interest than a weekly, but less than a quarterly. Triple Witching comes next month. My survey of today’s expiring TSLA options activity suggests that $180 would be the most profitable closing target for large option writers (hedge funds & market makers) with the ability to temporarily manipulate the TSLA share price.
So you're saying Gordo is 100% right!! :)

Who knows. Maybe this is the quarter GM finally cracks that nut and cranks out 1000s of Hummers and LYRIQs. Eventually they are going to figure this out right?

Eventually? Right?

Ultium is to LG Chem and GM as 4680 is to Tesla, but even more so.

I have a feeling that ending Bolt production will turn out to have been an aspirational goal.

GM still shows their Silverado WT (for fleet and commercial sales only) is coming Spring 2023. I wonder if this was a typo. But I’ve seen this estimate elsewhere.

EDIT: Also they’ve suggested pricing on this would be $40k.

View attachment 939236
Probably the same game Ford played with their cheap model. Push a few out to select large customers and convince all the fans that they are affordable. Had so many rip on me for saying "You can buy a lightning for 40k". I usually ask them to find me one so I can buy it. No takers yet.

EDIT: The Work/ fleet version of the Silverado is supposed to be $40k. No word on range for that.

The 450 mile number is an EPA estimate. Hasn't actually been measured yet since the truck does not exist yet.

I say yet again, if a company doesn’t provide a service or product to your liking don’t get all upset or put out, just choose a company with the service/product that suits you.

No single company can be everything to everyone. Stop putting that burden on Tesla. There are reasons Tesla does what it does regardless of anyone else’s understanding, and Tesla isn’t obligated to explain those reasons to any of us.

As has been explained already, Tesla clearly stated at the start of leasing that buy outs would not be allowed as those vehicles would be used for robotaxies. That didn’t come to fruition, so Tesla began selling those used, leased vehicles but didn’t change their leasing policy.

Without making a huge leap in imagination, I’d guess the leasing policy didn’t change because their ultimate plan for leased vehicles as robotaxies hasn’t changed only the timing.
Yep I think this is about right but it is costing them sales and in particular I'm not sure that S and X are destined for the robotaxi fleet. 'Robo-premium' going to be a thing?

Having said that the Tesla folks should be able to articulate that this is the reason for the Tesla policy. Not "I don't know why we do this", which is what was said. So a Taycan got purchased over a Plaid. Great for the mission, less great for Tesla IMO.

It's not like these people don't know this up front. You want a Tesla lease, you get no buy-out option. Period, nuff said.

There is no slight of hand, not deceptions, it's just how Tesla leases operate. Don't like it, don't lease a Tesla.
Yep 100% true. In the case I know about it was all spelled out clearly (although the Tesla reps had no idea about why there was no buy out). I just don't like the policy if it costs sales of non-production limited models (which I think the S and X are these days?).

A GM EV with this much range will either cost $110K or lose $50k per car (possibly both).

Getting ready to push a bunch of pigs off my mountain to see if they can fly. Next week I try dogs.