Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In fact dirty Tesla asked people on Twitter if problems have been fixed recently with no updates

Some of the examples cited in that twitter thread are the result of Tesla updating the map/routing metadata on their servers. This results in a better experience because of advance information on traffic controls, lane layout, and especially any changes from existing (static) map data.

This is not an update to the map data itself, but a supplement obtained OTA in near-realtime. All of this depends on folks entering a destination for their current trip, so their car can query the Tesla backend for a route info update. I'd expect greentheonly to discuss this on Twitter.

Cheers!

Some of the examples cited in that twitter thread are the result of Tesla updating the map/routing metadata on their servers. This results in a better experience because of advance information on traffic controls, lane layout, and especially any changes from existing (static) map data.

This is not an update to the map data itself, but a supplement obtained OTA in near-realtime. All of this depends on folks entering a destination for their current trip, so their car can query the Tesla backend for a route info update. I'd expect greentheonly to discuss this on Twitter.

Cheers!
Yes the Metadata should update in real time and that's how the Tesla can avoid real time traffic jams and detours. However they made some pretty significant updates getting rid of a lot of phantom slowing due to no reasons on city streets.

Yes the Metadata should update in real time and that's how the Tesla can avoid real time traffic jams and detours. However they made some pretty significant updates getting rid of a lot of phantom slowing due to no reasons on city streets.

Exactly. All the metadata would need to contain is an exemption for the specific 'freakout' condition per location that Tesla gets as feedback from the fleet. Over time, this results in fewer freakouts, and a better user experience.

Cheers!

Exactly. All the metadata would need to contain is an exemption for the specific 'freakout' condition per location that Tesla gets as feedback from the fleet. Over time, this results in fewer freakouts, and a better user experience.

Cheers!

For disambiguation:
If the error is due to the NN, it needs to be addressed by adding the site/ situation to the training data. If the error is due to bad map data, the map data needs corrected. Adding a NN override to map data makes the (potentially risky) assumption that the false positive never becomes a true positive.

If the problem is on the routing/ planning level (sade, but not efficient), then map meta data is helpful, and in many cases necessary (local driver vs out of town driver level of smoothness).

Can't make this *sugar* up, Toyota engineered a system to throttle fast charging and themselves call the penalties "punishment points"

Imagine buying a car that purposefully has a system designed to punish you, we (and BYD) will eat all it's lunch in the comming years

Plus really good battery thermal management system, just 15°C delta inside the pack, that past will surely last long like Toyota ICEs /s

1685312617151.png

Last edited:

John Kelly, professor of automotive technology at Weber State University, breaks down the Tesla thermal management system. Similar to content from Munro Live or Ingineerix. Technical, but also clearly explained and you don't need to be an engineer to understand most of it. This is the first video I've seen of someone showing the full assembly of the supermanifold and octovalve and how they connect to all the other heat sources and sinks around the vehicle.

He concludes that the system is very impressive and explains why it compares favorably to competitors' thermal management systems. Same reasons we already knew:

• It eliminates inefficient resistive heating by instead borrowing thermal energy from ambient air outside the car
  • In extreme cold weather, the vehicle software intentionally runs the motor(s), inverters, and air conditioning compressor in lossy mode, so a resistive heater isn't even needed
  • Vehicle doesn't just waste heat from components like the FSD computer but instead transfers it to something else like the cabin
  • Minimal hoses
  • Compact, lightweight
  • Same module works for all Tesla vehicles

Last edited:
Do you see this heat pump technology being scalable for home HVAC use, given that their auto heatpumps are driven directly off the vehicle's 400v DC traction pack?
Home HVAC is much less complex than their vehicle system integration so I'm not clear on any Tesla specific advantages over existing technology. A home doesn't have traction motors and multiple sources of heat to connect to and manage. I don't see coolant lines running to your fridge, computers, TV, etc.

There’s a new TV show on Apple TV+ called shrinking (which is quite good by the way). Jessica Williams character gets a new Tesla in episode 3 (I believe)… Anyhoo, the Tesla is prominently featured throughout that episode, and the following episode (the one in the Twitter link), and does appear periodically thereafter. In fact, the car itself is somewhat of a character in the show…

I do feel like public tone is changing a bit. I really don’t remember seeing Tesla vehicles so prominently featured in any main stream shows… It’s making me wonder if it could’ve been a paid spot 🤷‍♂️.

I’m not sure anyone here has mentioned this, I tried to do a search, but couldn’t find any references to it. Let me know if it’s been mentioned in the past, and I will delete.