Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on the unit I guess but I've installed 2 myself, one for my garage and one for my house, both 24KBTU units and the outside units take up less space than the old central air unit.
These were air to air mini split units so the only piping was through the wall for refrigerant.
I had a larger 40kBTU system installed at my mother's house, the inside unit replaced the old oil furnace and the outisde unit replaced the old central air compressor. Again piping was minimal just for refrigerant lines.
I have a mini-split heat pump in the garage but I wouldn't want it for the rest of the house. It doesn't do anything for humidity at all. Now perhaps there are better mini-split heat pumps, but in 2021 it was hard to get anything.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA and ShareLofty
From the WSJ:

Being Musk has its perks, though. Earlier this year, startups clamoring for Oraclecomputing capacity were abruptly told that a buyer had snapped up much of Oracle’s spare server space, people familiar with the matter said. The buyer, the startups were told, was Musk, who is building his own OpenAI rival called X.AI, the people said.

We need a new thread for these discussions. They are definitely Tesla-relevant, but not likely to have any short term financial consequence for TSLA valuation.
Tesla heat pump / HVAC (non auto)

Mod: all continuing posts on this subject in this thread are being moved over. --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a new thread for these discussions. They are definitely Tesla-relevant, but not likely to have any short term financial consequence for TSLA valuation.
The engineering thread is probably the best place for further discussion but I thought it important to have some discussion here so casual observers might get a better idea of what is actually involved. As a final note here I did some simple calculations and a reasonably efficient 20 cubic ft fridge uses 400kWh/year. If it's 80% efficient, (a guess on my part), that leaves 80kWh/year of waste energy x say $.20/kWh = $16/year of waste energy to recover.

Edit: This is wrong, mongo is correct.

Last edited:
Q - Is there anything that is a threat to stop TSLA from getting to 2.5M car annual output at $50k ASP?

I ran the numbers again this morning and that leads to...

- $125B annual car revenue
- 7x multiple on just car revenue equates $875B valuation
- 10x multiple on just car revenue equates to $1.25T valuation
- With 3.17B shares outstanding, $875B equates to $276 / share
- With 3.17B shares outstanding, $1.25T equates to $394 / share

Q - Is there anything that is a threat to stop TSLA from getting to 2.5M car annual output at $50k ASP?

I think you are in the wrong thread. This is the waste heat thread.

For those of you that are struggling to keep up with Elon’s extracurricular activities. And no, I’m not talking about whether he and grimes are still together in secret.

X Holdings owns X Corp
Twitter is now essentially renamed X Corp
X Corp also will start X, the everything app

Elon has also started X.AI
X.AI will run TruthGPT and also provide services to Twitter and Tesla. Tesla will likely provide Dojo services in return.

Elon is still running Boring Co and Neuralink in addition to SpaceX and Tesla.

The only additional future organisation that Elon has recently mentioned is an educational institution. This will own and vote Elon’s shares once he has returned to the unsimulated matrix.
Twitter, Boring and Neuralink have their own CEOs. In particular Boring and Neuralink do not occupy much of Elon’s time.

Thank you Buckminster for providing an HVAC thread. Now if people would only use it…

Finding 2.5M buyers at that ASP, presumably, is the main obstacle.... with Elon repeatedly pointing out there's a lot of demand from folks who simply can't afford that price, especially with interest rates as high as they are on car loans.

Finding 2.5M buyers at that ASP, presumably, is the main obstacle.... with Elon repeatedly pointing out there's a lot of demand from folks who simply can't afford that price, especially with interest rates as high as they are on car loans.

I'm keeping in line with $50k mostly because of Cybertruck which has a range of $40k-$80k. I think completing the current reservation queue and no more growth in the current delivery pipeline should be enough to get to 2.5M on its own, no? ...without even thinking about the Mexico and +1 Gigafactory (hopefully India) that go online over the next years.

Well thank goodness for tax incentives right? However going beyond 2.5M will be a challenge hence why Musk thinks fsd need to be ready for more growth at least on the auto side without the other 2 new mystery products. Cybertruck seems to be only adding about 10% growth to auto revenue for 2024.

The idea of Tesla licensing their FSD tech has been hypothesized many times here. My question is, is it practical? (I don't have the technical knowledge to have an informed opinion on the subject.) So, I'm asking the bored (SIC) whether it's feasible or not.

Wouldn't Ford, for example, have to use Tesla cameras, HW computer, sensors, brakes, drive train, batteries and steering? Aren't they all connected?

Over the years, I've owned many airplanes. I wanted the latest avionics so I'd do these big upgrades. Never worked out. There was always some problem with one computer talking to another or interference of some kind. I'd suspect that trying to get FSD to work with another manufacturer's product would have the same issues. If anything is different in the system, wouldn't Tesla have to train and certify each unique installation for safety?

Last edited:
The idea of Tesla licensing their FSD tech has been hypothesized many times here. My question is, is it practical? (I don't have the technical knowledge to have an informed opinion on the subject.) So, I'm asking the bored (SIC) whether it's feasible or not.

Wouldn't Ford, for example, have to use Tesla cameras, HW computer, sensors, brakes, drive train, batteries and steering? Aren't they all connected?

Over the years, I've owned many airplanes. I wanted the latest avionics so I'd do these big upgrades. Never worked out. There was always some problem with one computer talking to another or interference of some kind. I'd suspect that trying to get FSD to work with another manufacturer's product would have the same issues. If anything is different in the system, wouldn't Tesla have to train and certify each unique installation for safety?
Question copied here:
Tesla Network / Robotaxi Business Model

• Helpful
Reactions: Drumheller

Over the years, I've owned many airplanes. I wanted the latest avionics so I'd do these big upgrades. Never worked out. There was always some problem with one computer talking to another or interference of some kind. I'd suspect that trying to get FSD to work with another manufacturer's product would have the same issues. If anything is different in the system, wouldn't Tesla have to train and certify each installation for safety?

They are all connected but other than the Computer none of them have to be made by Tesla or provided by Tesla or designed by Tesla.

They can use whatever camera supplier they want, brakes, drive train, batteries can all vary.

Just with Tesla, FSD is already working with dozens of different battery pack and dozens of different motor configurations (hundreds of combinations of those). Doesn't really matter to FSD.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FireMedic

IIRC, Tesla vehicles ASP was ~$47K in Q1. That's unlikely to increase to $50K given the current FED interest rates policy. Further, Tesla is in the process of releasing more Std Range versions of the Model Y, and "Project Highland" (Q3?) will almost certainly boost sales by reducing prices while maintaining gross margins.

Cheers!

They are all connected but other than the Computer none of them have to be made by Tesla or provided by Tesla or designed by Tesla.

They can use whatever camera supplier they want, brakes, drive train, batteries can all vary.

Just with Tesla, FSD is already working with dozens of different battery pack and dozens of different motor configurations (hundreds of combinations of those). Doesn't really matter to FSD.
But on Tesla case, there is many, many safeguards for the whole system

It isn't simply FSD computer request accelerator and acceleration happens, so I have no idea how it would work without everything else being Tesla also, or at least with OEMs being software competent, which they aren't

Read from this tweet and bellow

But on Tesla case, there is many, many safeguards for the whole system

It isn't simply FSD computer request accelerator and acceleration happens, so I have no idea how it would work without everything else being Tesla also, or at least with OEMs being software competent, which they aren't

Read from this tweet and bellow

That has absolutely nothing to do with having a different drive train. He was trying to drive the car with a game controller in the back seat vs using the pedals/steering wheel.

Has absolutly no bearing on what I wrote above.

The safeguards are for pedal misapplication and various possible device failures.

Any other car manufacturer would be using proper pedals and steering wheels and wouldn't have an issue there.