Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea of Tesla licensing their FSD tech has been hypothesized many times here. My question is, is it practical? (I don't have the technical knowledge to have an informed opinion on the subject.) So, I'm asking the bored (SIC) whether it's feasible or not.

Wouldn't Ford, for example, have to use Tesla cameras, HW computer, sensors, brakes, drive train, batteries and steering? Aren't they all connected?

Over the years, I've owned many airplanes. I wanted the latest avionics so I'd do these big upgrades. Never worked out. There was always some problem with one computer talking to another or interference of some kind. I'd suspect that trying to get FSD to work with another manufacturer's product would have the same issues. If anything is different in the system, wouldn't Tesla have to train and certify each unique installation for safety?
My experience with a fleet and a dozen personal aircraft was excellent, even including an autopilot upgrade in a LR25D. I think the core problem in fleet changes, such as Tesla FSD, is systems integration, something auto OEMs often try to outsource, for that matter Boeing does it sometimes poorly (787 battery, 737MAX) sometime well (777-300). Auto OEMs have similar mixed results.

IMHO the only way that could work with Tesla FSD and TE is to use Tesla systems integration every time. That FWIW is a fundamental process difference that makes large differences in Aircraft flight control performance. And so it is for cars. Tesla is the Dassault of cars, while Dassault dominates CAD/CAM in multiple industries, Tesla does not, YET! If Tesla sells FSD or factory OS we may be confident they’ll control the implementation deployment and performance.

Not suspicious at all especially considering earlier this month all the talk was how Tesla wasn’t going to be allowed to expand in China because this, this and that. Suddenly, all is copacetic. 🙄

I believe the main reason at this time for the change of ‘opinion’ has to do with the not-a-conspiracy-theory that the creators of the TSLA options market are dictating that the narrative must change for them and their water cooler buddies to continue making money hand over fist.

I prefer Teslas too, but you claim about the EQS being inefficient is misleading. This is from Bjoern Nylands 1000km test, EQS has the same Wh/mi as Model S LR palladium:

View attachment 942387

You can argue the test with the EQS was at a higher temperature, but in the whole testing field of EVs that Bjoern assembled (the list is much longer than shown here) it is one of the more efficient cars.

Source:
Keep in mind that is the rear wheel driver base version that isn’t even close in performance to the LR

Lol, gap filled by 1 penny: (Friday's intraday High was $198.60)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-05-30.09-34.png

Thunderbirds are GO! :D

Last edited:
A bit confusing but probably lost in translation, should be charge to 90% in 20 minutes

This is likely the BYD Blade pack since the charge time lines up, but first time we are hearing it will go on Model 3

Here is what I'm thinking it all is true, CATL pack charge considerably slower, so maybe all CATL production will bi diverted to Megapacks and BYD will go to vehicles, I just don't know if BYD has the capacity to supply enough cells for all LFP vehicles

A bit confusing but probably lost in translation, should be charge to 90% in 20 minutes

This is likely the BYD Blade pack since the charge time lines up, but first time we are hearing it will go on Model 3

Here is what I'm thinking it all is true, CATL pack charge considerably slower, so maybe all CATL production will bi diverted to Megapacks and BYD will go to vehicles, I just don't know if BYD has the capacity to supply enough cells for all LFP vehicles

The message is confusing, we should wait a bit until more information is available. 3C at a pack capacity of approx. 60 kWh would mean a max. charge rate of 180 kWh for the Standard Range battery pack (as mentioned in a response to this tweet).

Didn´t see this posted, local China sales for previous week and month-to-date:

Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) sold 12,800 units in China last week, up from 10,200 the week before, according to figures shared by Li Auto.
That figure for Tesla was 5,928 and 9,990 in the first two weeks of May and 38,918 cumulatively so far this month.

About the same as in April, and way ahead of previous years, see plot here (not yet updated for May):