Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it's true that Tesla has multiple iterations of (different) hardware they support, I'm positive each requires specific tuning and configuration of the system.

For instance, just in cameras/imaging sensors, you have different characteristics such as:

-Sensitivity
-Resolution
-Bayer-pattern implementation
-Chroma filter wavelengths
-Noise envelope
-Fixed patter noise
-Saturation behavior
-Gamma response
-Aspect ratio
-Field angle
-Temperature sensitivity
-Tolerances
-etc....

And then there's placement around the vehicle (no 2 models are same size/shape), height, angle, windshield rake, etc...

Repeat for each discrete FSD component, and you have a multitude of parameters to account for. It's certainly possible to "generalize" the system such that other components can be used in a different vehicle implementation, but there's a large amount of work to do so, especially for a safety-critical system.
Um. In a way, you have a point. But, to be a devil's advocate, I'll point out that there are such things as subroutines and internal APIs. The general idea is to have any fine-tuning for a particular sensor, or even group of sensors, be placed in a subroutine that can be modified for that sensor; the API to which that sensor delivers data would then look at summary data, and so on.

The design, care, and feeding of such APIs is a science unto itself. The APIs themselves aren't necessarily fixed and, potentially, can be made flexible. In fact, that's what Object Oriented Programming is all about, where additional data to be moved about can be added to existing objects, using inheritance so one doesn't necessarily have to reprogram everything.

Having said that, my training was primarily with procedural languages like FORTRAN, BASIC, C, and more assembly languages than I want to count. And the half-dozen operating systems (albeit, for DSP work, but that's pretty slim pickings for an OS developer) that I've had to write. And, being one of those people, there's the downside of OOP code, in that things that can be done ridiculously fast in, say, C, has to spend an inordinate amount of time running around in the structures of OOP code so, well, inheritance works and all. Which doesn't do real-time code any good.

But I keep on running into the occasional article that says that OOP code can be used for real-time fun.

So, to summarize: you have a bit of a point. But I strongly suspect that things aren't as bad as all that, and the people writing the OS and code probably knew that they wanted their work to be extensible and not have to be re-written from scratch every time a bit of hardware got changed.

Why do I think we are in for 5 to 6 month rally?
Please take a look at the monthly chart of Tesla below. If we are starting a new trend, which we very well might be.
Tesla typically runs up in spurts of 5 to 6 months and that’s what I am suspecting might happen this time
My
IMG_2388.png
technical best guess is doubling or tripling or at the very least 70 to 80% advance over the next 5 to 6 months
Simply my personal opinion, and I could be totally wrong, not financial advice

Unlikely, since auto growth will be 10x, 2 million to 20 million, FSD ('so called AI' based) will change the paradigm for driving esp intermediate distance trips in US, Semi, and use of optimus robot for factory tasks, also using 'so called AI.' So yeah 10 x unlikely, more like 20x.

Unlikely, since auto growth will be 10x, 2 million to 20 million, FSD ('so called AI' based) will change the paradigm for driving esp intermediate distance trips in US, Semi, and use of optimus robot for factory tasks, also using 'so called AI.' So yeah 10 x unlikely, more like 20x.

I hear ya. WallE has priced in just 6M units/yr autoproduction by 2030, we'll hit 20M (that's 3x right there). Tesla Energy will be about the same size as Tesla Auto, but is currently less than 10% (so that's another 5x vs today's SP). Then, per Elon, Tesla Bot will be larger than the rest of Tesla combined (so that's over another 15x for that). Add it all up, and that's 30x. And that's before any Insurance products, Home/Commercial HVAC products, AI products and services (think AWS), Mining and Refining (Tesla will do at least Lithum), and possibly even selling whole factories to the industry.

Let's just go lite and call it 50x. ;)

Cheers!

I wonder if Tesla would increase the cost to charge from 90% to 100% as it takes the longest even with our Teslas.

I know I’ve seen Superchargers that charge an increasing rate per kWh as you approach full. I think in the car if you click on a Supercharger it will show you if a tiered rate is in effect.

In fact, here’s the nearest one to me, albeit in minutes rather than kWh:

52937327102_2736d9161e_z.jpg

Last edited:
How great would it be if Tesla started selling their HW4 FSD chips for general AI use just as NVIDIA sells chips for AI use? That would immediately add ANOTHER revenue stream to Tesla and immediately make them ALSO an AI chip provider in addition to a carmaker, car dealer, car servicing company, lithium refinery, energy storage provider, solar manufacturer, fueling station operator, insurance provider, etc...

It would also help spread the cost of the FSD chip for the cars. We'd see TSLA jump $50-$100 within a day of this announcement.
If the Ford/Tesla charging deal isn't the trojan horse that get's something larger rolling I'll eat my hat.

Is Ford going to outright license the entire stack behind Tesla superchargers (or just have Tesla build them) to deploy their own chargers? Basically SCs but with blue lights. That would give Ford an option to build locations where Tesla might not focus on due to customer demographics.
Why do I think we are in for 5 to 6 month rally?
Please take a look at the monthly chart of Tesla below. If we are starting a new trend, which we very well might be.
Tesla typically runs up in spurts of 5 to 6 months and that’s what I am suspecting might happen this time
My technical best guess is doubling or tripling or at the very least 70 to 80% advance over the next 5 to 6 months
Simply my personal opinion, and I could be totally wrong, not financial advice

I'm not much for TA but if the stock market bottom was in Q1 sometime due to macros, and Tesla's SP and earnings bottom was in Q1/2 then a continued rally makes sense at a glance.

MMs trying so hard to keep below $200
they will keep on trying all the way to $300
NVDA is toppy, while $1000 is def in cards for nvda , for short term it will likely trade sideways
all the fast money chasing NVDA will flow right into TSLA over next few months
then TSLA will trade sideways and NVDA will go up
AI trade will prove to be the greatest trading opp since 1995 to 2000 dot com
2023 is like 1995 and AI just had its netscape moment with NVDA
between 2023 through 2027/2028 fortunes will be made by those who take sensible risks with cool precision
not trading/financial advice

Um. In a way, you have a point. But, to be a devil's advocate, I'll point out that there are such things as subroutines and internal APIs. The general idea is to have any fine-tuning for a particular sensor, or even group of sensors, be placed in a subroutine that can be modified for that sensor; the API to which that sensor delivers data would then look at summary data, and so on.

The design, care, and feeding of such APIs is a science unto itself. The APIs themselves aren't necessarily fixed and, potentially, can be made flexible. In fact, that's what Object Oriented Programming is all about, where additional data to be moved about can be added to existing objects, using inheritance so one doesn't necessarily have to reprogram everything.

Having said that, my training was primarily with procedural languages like FORTRAN, BASIC, C, and more assembly languages than I want to count. And the half-dozen operating systems (albeit, for DSP work, but that's pretty slim pickings for an OS developer) that I've had to write. And, being one of those people, there's the downside of OOP code, in that things that can be done ridiculously fast in, say, C, has to spend an inordinate amount of time running around in the structures of OOP code so, well, inheritance works and all. Which doesn't do real-time code any good.

But I keep on running into the occasional article that says that OOP code can be used for real-time fun.

So, to summarize: you have a bit of a point. But I strongly suspect that things aren't as bad as all that, and the people writing the OS and code probably knew that they wanted their work to be extensible and not have to be re-written from scratch every time a bit of hardware got changed.
Doing that would be part of the "generalizing" the system that I mentioned. You'd have to then also have to characterize the new sensors/actuators in order to develop a profile that can be applied (similar to how output devices such as displays, printers, etc... can supply an .icm file in order to match color profiles).

Modifying the system to do the former and formulating the profile infrastructure for the latter are not inconsequential efforts. And until that's done, you can't just "use whatever camera supplier they want, brakes, drive train, batteries can all vary", as the poster I responded to asserted.

I don't believe that's how the inverter is implemented. The inverter indeed does take a set of commands for torque and then translates those in to the correct 3-phase AC amplitude and frequency waveform that it rectifies from the DC pack voltage. It then applies those to the motor windings. There are appropriate feedback mechanisms for the inverter to measure that the motor output is as intended. Those inverter commands can come from the application of the pedals or the FSD computer.

It is the FSD stack has a layer that takes the information from the upper path-planning layer, and then translates it to discrete commands needed by the inverter, electronic brake system, steering actuator, etc... to execute the given planned path.

I'm not sure what you mean here... I assume you are using port as in "translating instructions" but generally "instructions" are at the CPU level, in this case two embedded systems talking to each other would likely use an API of some sort. But in context of my point above, I believe there it is very likely the inverter accepts commands for desired torque, etc... People have actually built motor controllers that will work with Tesla drive units, and that's what they do.

This came directly from wk057, I couldn't find the exact source again, I don't remember if it was a post here on TMC, a Tweet or a live on YouTube

The FSD computer does not command acceleration or torque, is sends the desired position and how it would like to get there and it's on the inverter that the calculation of the torque/speed profile happen

This is what in part makes it work across multiple vehicles, inverters, motors and so on

Yes, the inverters accepts, you can get a motor wk057 himself with a simple control box that you hook up the throttle, plug into a battery and it will work

What I'm getting at is having the FSD computer play with inverters/drive system for any other manufacturer

i had been selling calls on my TSLA for several weeks and had the good sense to stop selling calls last week. market makers were my friends until last Friday when i had sold $220 through $260 strike calls that all expired worthless last friday.
i sense a change in TSLA trading starting today and MMs will have a hard time protecting various strikes
from today on i will not be selling any calls for the foreseeable future
trading TSLA is more likely to succeed when you do what seems to be least likely outcome to majority at any given point in time
NFA

Just want to have my say on this. I get tired of hearing people talk about how Tesla models need to be refreshed in some way, that the design is old. Those people don’t seem to realize that the design is that way for efficiency first. Second is I see no reason why the design shape should not be a signature for the brand like with Porsche. Don’t hear anybody saying the 911 should look boxier.

Tesla has shown that it is willing to make exterior changes: new paint colors, different wheel designs; but even the refresh S and X have only changes that reduce drag etc. I love Tesla’s laser focus on making their cars better, not being distracted by consmetics as a selling gimmick For those who really want something that looks different from the 4 models available, there is the Cybertruck. THAT is different.

I hope that Ford’s announced direction of simplifying its models is a move away from the OEMs tendency to complicate them more. Dealers make money on being able to upsell customer with more and fancier gadgets: more complexity. If this simplification is what I hope it is, it is another example of the impact Tesla is having on the industry. A good trend IMO
Why? Wouldn’t you love this kind of “transformation” design at Tesla? Think of the amazing plug change we get if BMW was in charge of the iterations that pleased the traditional journalists and critics:

IMG_2108.jpeg