Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Turns Off AEB In New Cars Produced Since July

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This has safety written all over it. Tesla - for one reason or another - feels it is necessary to deactivate a feature once thought safe. This is convenient for all people since it prevents the typical ICE recall of a car. They deactivate - investigate a bit more - and then decide whether there needs to be a recall or a software update is necessary.

This is great for consumers. Demanding perfect is simply unattainable.

Great for consumers would be not installing a new version of safety critical hardware (in place of a working version) until after the new version has been fully tested. That's what other manufacturers try to do.
If AEB was 50% effective in reducing collision speeds to survivable levels, you think car occupants are better with it disabled completely?
I'm pretty certain a company like Tesla didn't just pull this out of no where and - without considering safety - they just - on a whim - decided to turn off this feature for select cars.

They made a decision - based on the information they have - to turn off this feature for 6 weeks - maybe less. Unlike ICE cars - where if a defect is found - people are left to find out - wait for a letter by mail - and then wait for them to take the vehicle in to a dealer. Archaic.

Tesla is a mess. AEB, EAP, FSD. It either doesn’t work right, is incomplete, or in limbo. At least we didn’t pay extra for AEB.

True.... But AEB is a passive safety feature. Not a convenience feature like EAP (no comment on what FSD is, since the darn thing doesn't actually exist). Also, EAP and FSD were (more or less) sold as "this doesn't work yet" features, while AEB is (for the most part) sold as an "already here" feature.

Selling people cars with a passive safety feature, and then taking it away "for validation" is a big, big deal. Especially if, as is likely, this was done as part of a planned phase-in/test strategy.

Yet more proof that Tesla is utterly incapable of performing the kind of thorough testing and feature validation done by established automakers. There is no positive spin to this no matter how hard you try.

Yeah, I was about to say "Umm..... isn't this the kind of stuff you test BEFORE releasing cars to the public?"
This isn't some minor thing like a new font for the display or something.

This due to the installation of the new Continental radars in the new AP suite. They require real-world validation since AEB is radar only. This isn't due to a "defect" found in select cars with existing hardware.
So who installed this rogue radar unit without letting Tesla have a chance to do any real world testing?

The Russians, Kim Jong Un, the Big Bad Wolf, Donald Trump?

True.... But AEB is a passive safety feature. Not a convenience feature like EAP (no comment on what FSD is, since the darn thing doesn't actually exist). Also, EAP and FSD were (more or less) sold as "this doesn't work yet" features, while AEB is (for the most part) sold as an "already here" feature.

Selling people cars with a passive safety feature, and then taking it away "for validation" is a big, big deal. Especially if, as is likely, this was done as part of a planned phase-in/test strategy.
Agreed except EAP was to be done by 12/16 (they’ve since changed the wording on the order page) and Elon gave a time frame of 3 to 6 months on FSD feature rollout in 1/17.

AEB on HW2 has never fully worked so they are leaving us with an incomplete feature and taking said incomplete feature away from the HW2.5 cars.

Agreed except EAP was to be done by 12/16 (they’ve since changed the wording on the order page) and Elon gave a time frame of 3 to 6 months on FSD feature rollout in 1/17.

AEB on HW2 has never fully worked so they are leaving us with an incomplete feature and taking said incomplete feature away from the HW2.5 cars.

Yah... Don't get me wrong... I think what they did with EAP/FSD borders on fraud and constitutes an unfair business practice.

I just think this pulling of AEB is even worse.

So who installed this rogue radar unit without letting Tesla have a chance to do any real world testing?

The Russians, Kim Jong Un, the Big Bad Wolf, Donald Trump?

I don't understand what you mean. This is how all other AP hardware has been validated... with real world regression testing over millions of miles in thousands of different environments.

Why would this be any different?

Tesla is a mess. AEB, EAP, FSD. It either doesn’t work right, is incomplete, or in limbo. At least we didn’t pay extra for AEB.

and yet if you gave me a Model S of any year with all those features turned off it'd still be the best car I've ever owned.

Safer in a crash than any car I've ever crashed.

Better range than any pure EV I've ever driven.

If I had one I'd gladly drive it even with AEB and Collision Avoidance totally disabled for eternity.