TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Turns Off AEB In New Cars Produced Since July

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Economite, Sep 10, 2017.

1. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

I dunno, will it?

Tesla ignores brick walls in front of them if the driver chooses (if that's the right word) to use the wrong pedal from a standstill. Tesla defends it vigorously stating the driver is in control. That's insane - in my view - because anybody that wants to accelerate quickly into a solid object clearly isn't of sound mind and, therefore, is not "in control".

Point is... no car is perfect and I wouldn't make logical leaps - as sound as they may seem - and I'd like to know for sure.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Which brings up another point. You won't be the only one to do this. It highlights another point -- if ACC is not standard equipment on the Volt, then saying broadly "Volt scored 6 points" is incorrect.

3. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

I'm shaking my head a bit... flabbergasted that you feel I was rude and insulting or that you needed defending, especially for the post you quoted me in. I congratulated you! Sure, I offered you some unsolicited advice, but I wasn't rude about it.

Sorry if you felt otherwise.

• Like x 1
  4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Good reply, didn't escalate things further :). So congrats on being an adult. I wouldn't let it bother me (and it seems like you're just brushing it off, too). We have some forum members who like to stir the proverbial pot.

• Like x 2
  5. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

Exactly right, but he did earlier say he was referring to a fully optioned car.

6. McRat

McRat Active Member

High-speed autobrake
    In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision. 3 points (emphasis mine).

No impact speed is means impact was reduced to none. But you could get 3 points if your car hit at under 3 mph. Some cars will not even show damage at less than 3 mph.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I believe you're interpreting the "avoid a collision" as an assertion of fact rather than a conclusion. I'm reading it otherwise. The page with that quote doesn't look to me like a fact page but rather a conclusion page. Perhaps I'm misreading, but it gives me very little confidence that there is guesswork and interpretation required to identify facts vs. conclusions. /shrug

8. oktane

oktane Active Member

Apology accepted, I assumed you weren't purposefully being insulting. Facial expressions, tone of voice, non-verbal expressions all get lost in posts.

9. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#269 Canuck, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    No but there were other things, many other things. We're all humans with faults. Human with faults running corporations with the primary motive being greed (aka profits) will lead to problems. Apple has many. No one has to install suicide nets at Tesla's factories.

I'm sure you would, and as a holder of TSLA I probably should too, but I don't, probably because of things like this that he did...

You'd never get this from Jobs:
    Tesla signs letter promising to give $37.5 million for education
    Yes, Tesla got tax breaks, but that's because they decided not to build their factories overseas like Jobs did.

You say that like it's a bad thing... ;)

10. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Tesla probably figures all there software is there to add safety. So it's always better to upload to cars and wait for inevitable bfeedback if it'snot up to standards. Even if they have to read it in the headlines, they're still going to be 40% safer than without the software, right? And since the cage is safer, what the whole rish now anyway if things go sideways for a buyer? Very hard to get killed, and some of the time an accident will be averted all together.
    Just let the "fleet" test the new release and recall as needed. Try some adjustments in the next release. We'll get there, we're on the cutting edge!

Just the way their lane keeping performance goes on and off from one version to the other alone shows that they have no clue what'll work for customers and what won't. If they even have a test fleet beyond the proverbial "Elon's car" with his daily fixed route commute, are those cars technically representative for the actual fleet with consumers at the wheel and in the jump seats?
    I would not be too surprised if an otherwise terrible AP version works flawlessly on Elon's commute, morning and evening. Let's hope I'm gravely exaggerating.

11. timvracer

timvracer Member

Me too... brutal.

But somnambule is making all my points for me.

Keep it up somnambule, you are saving me time, that's for sure! I am a techie too, maybe that is why.

12. timvracer

timvracer Member

Now BCSTEEVE is making all my points for me!! You rock dude.

This thread has gotten easy for me, with some rational logical folks making the points I'd want to make. Thank you.

13. timvracer

timvracer Member

Steve is my hero

• Like x 1
  14. timvracer

timvracer Member

No, he is talking facts and presenting very clear arguments. Engage him with data and arguments back rather than finding the first excuse to disengage and label him as rude and insulting.

• Disagree x 1
  15. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Some Jeeps can be hacked and taken over
    How to hack a Jeep Cherokee – but don’t try this at home, kids

16. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

Holy crap, I think that's a first! lol

So long as I didn't miss the sarcasm bus.... tyvm :)

17. Swift

Swift Member

#277 Swift, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    What are you smoking? Where did that come from?

A list was provided of relatively inexpensive vehicles with AEB and other safety systems. I noted that the Tesla’s in question cost far more and yet have problems with AEB among many other things.

• Disagree x 1
  18. Swift

Swift Member

Thankfully the aircraft manufacturers don’t take that approach. Since our kids ride in these cars, I expect vehicle manufacturers to hold themselves to a similar standard.

19. Swift

Swift Member

I’d reread the statement as it relates to the manufacturing of aircraft. Here it is again, note the emphasis on major issues and obvious issues.
    Yeah right. Remind me not to fly your airline.

20. somnambule

somnambule Member

The list of vehicles were about important safety issues in the news recently to point out that the claim that these sorts of things only happen with Tesla is false. Those issues are not related to AEB in those vehicles (they are far more basic and serious).

Perhaps I read too much into your response, and for that I apologize. It appears the matter is much simpler -- you didn't even understand my post to begin with.