Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Turns Off AEB In New Cars Produced Since July

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not someone who compares TV models to vehicles that go 60+ mph that I put my life in the hands of. If the bleeding edge involves being beta testers for cars then I want that stated clearly and plainly on Teslas website. Otherwise this is dangerous and silly to put Teslas entire name on the line for. There is no need to be the first to market if it is going to get someone hurt.
Obviously! Perhaps you should read Tesla's explanation for the AEB being placed in Shaddow mode. Doesn't sound all that ominous. Keep in mind that this only applies to a small group of 2.5 cars. Your brakes still work. Very few cars have automatic braking. In this case I think Tesla is being cautious not careless. If you are in a Tesla, you are in the safest car in the world even if AEB is temporarily withdrawn.

Obviously! Perhaps you should read Tesla's explanation for the AEB being placed in Shaddow mode. Doesn't sound all that ominous. Keep in mind that this only applies to a small group of 2.5 cars. Your brakes still work. Very few cars have automatic braking. In this case I think Tesla is being cautious not careless. If you are in a Tesla, you are in the safest car in the world even if AEB is temporarily withdrawn.

AEB will be a standard feature in all cars in 3 years. Almost all cars have it. Its not a super fancy exclusive feature. It comes on all Teslas as it should.

• Disagree
Reactions: bcsteeve

Not saying it sounds ominous, just saying it sounds like they are finally coming to a conclusion after a ton of customers have had false positives happen under their current AEB system. That means they are either not properly testing their AEB system and/or using customers as beta testers. Neither is something to be happy about.

• Disagree
Reactions: bcsteeve
What evidence do you have that a Tesla without AEB is safer than some other car that has five star crash ratings but actually has a functioning AEB?
Tesla is universally acknowledged to be the safest car in the world. If you are a regular on the site you would know that. The addition of AEB takes it from fabulous to spectacular not dangerous to safe. To those who don't like being called early adopters, you are driving the only long range car in the world. The only car with summoning and first with "autopilot". This is also the fastest car in the world and embarrasses supercars. It is from those who can land rockets on their taiI. I absolutely agree that Tesla needs to be far more open and cautious. but this is still the safest vehicle on the road by far. An example is the side impact crash photo comparing Volvo and model three.

We are "early adopters". Compare the HDTV roll-out: my year one Mitsubishi HDTV had RGB-HV inputs. The next year they switched to component. Then Firewire (remember the "Promise Module" ?) which was replaced by DVI! There was no apology when they changed to HDMI. I have a storage locker full of adapters and a new TV. I hindsight, my wife thinks I'm nuts and perhaps a a bit impatient. It has been a great ride. I know my Tesla is not a Camry! I do wish Tesla were a little more forth-coming, but the bleeding edge is just that. Tesla is not for those looking for basic transportation. Camry and Honda make transportation appliances without apology. I want something ludicrous!

Fascinating isn't it? People seem to be striving for Tesla to behave like a typical Car Manufacturer. Last I remember, typical car manufacturers made CDs standard equipment on cars by the time USB was becoming the norm. Seems like some consumers prefer this old way of business - gives them a sense that their vehicle isn't outdated.

Provide a better product and you upset the consumer - despite the product improvement - a benefit to the consumer!! It's really mind blowing.

• Helpful
Reactions: bcsteeve and PJFW8
Tesla is universally acknowledged to be the safest car in the world. If you are a regular on the site you would know that. The addition of AEB takes it from fabulous to spectacular not dangerous to safe. To those who don't like being called early adopters, you are driving the only long range car in the world. The only car with summoning and first with "autopilot". This is also the fastest car in the world and embarrasses supercars. It is from those who can land rockets on their taiI. I absolutely agree that Tesla needs to be far more open and cautious. but this is still the safest vehicle on the road by far. An example is the side impact crash photo comparing Volvo and model three.

2017 Tesla Model S

Parallel universes?

Tesla is universally acknowledged to be the safest car in the world. If you are a regular on the site you would know that.

The fact that people on this site keep saying it to each other doesn't make it true. The Model S did perform best of all cars on some safety tests. But there are a lot of factors involved in safety, not all of which are tested in the handful of standard crash tests/body strength tests. This is especially true once cars start having passive features that avoid accidents (like AEB) and features that take over driving tasks from the driver.

Note, BTW, that the Volvo S80 (and probably some other vehicles) outtested the Tesla in the IIHS safety tests. 2016 Volvo S80

You mean the crash test that was cherry picked? What about the fact a Volvo XC90 has never had a fatality? Teslas have tons. I think the "safest car" is not universally acknowledged but rather a myth from this forum repeated until people think its true. Tesla is a very safe automobile but its not universally acknowledged as the "safest."

Here's something the posts here lack: a citation to a peer reviewed study. Read, learn, open eyes.

Study: 9 car models had zero traffic deaths

Fascinating isn't it? People seem to be striving for Tesla to behave like a typical Car Manufacturer. Last I remember, typical car manufacturers made CDs standard equipment on cars by the time USB was becoming the norm. Seems like some consumers prefer this old way of business - gives them a sense that their vehicle isn't outdated.

Provide a better product and you upset the consumer - despite the product improvement - a benefit to the consumer!! It's really mind blowing.
I don't see how fascinating this is. People create false dichotomies all the time.

Reactions: croman
and yet if you gave me a Model S of any year with all those features turned off it'd still be the best car I've ever owned.
I think the key phrase here is "gave me", as in "free". Nobody would complain if Teslas were free.

If you paid $100K for the car counting on specific promised features, you'd be singing a different song.

Yah... Don't get me wrong... I think what they did with EAP/FSD borders on fraud and constitutes an unfair business practice.

I just think this pulling of AEB is even worse.
It's not the pulling it that is worse, it's the fact that they released it without sufficient testing. OTA updates are cheap to deploy, allowing Tesla to justify testing on their customers. Each recall costing a lot of money is what motivates manufacturers to ship solid products in the first place.

Okay I understand your fanboy-ism as I am a MASSIVE Tesla fan boy myself... But I think you are are downplaying the amount of false positives, swerves, and random braking episodes that a lot of customers (including myself) have experienced. I am incredibly lucky to not have had anyone behind me during these moments because without a doubt they would have caused a crash. Sure it's the first with autopilot, but a working and safe as possible autopilot it is not.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I don't understand what you mean. This is how all other AP hardware has been validated... with real world regression testing over millions of miles in thousands of different environments.

Why would this be any different?
If by "AP" you mean emergency braking systems, I think you're not correct.

The vast majority of the cars with these systems have not been recalled, so either the engineers got it right the first time or any issues were caught before release. Moreover, I'm unaware of any car that can collect data and return it for evaluation except for Teslas, so I don't see how this regression testing could possibly happen.

So, taking your assertion as fact, this is different because they used their customers for safety related system testing rather than doing an adequate job before release.

Reactions: alcibiades
You are making an assumption that Tesla does not "vigorously" test before releasing hardware/software. You have absolutely zero knowledge of what internal testing Tesla does or does not do because you don't work for Tesla in the department that designs and tests functions like AEB. Yet you make confident pronouncements about what Tesla "should" do.

You are wrong the facts speak for themselves.