Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Turns Off AEB In New Cars Produced Since July

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone changed the title of this thread (which I started). I don't have any particular complaints about the new title, but not cool to make this change without a post explaining who did it and why.
I updated the title for clarity. So people who bought the car earlier in the year aren't concerned as it doesn't apply to them. We don't always get approval prior to a title change.

The original title was "Tesla Turns Off AEB In New Cars"

Was the change something that completely changed the meaning of the thread title?

Last edited:
Not at all, you are saying these vehicles have greater safety issues than Tesla does. As if AEB is the only safety issue with Tesla. It's not.

We are discussing AEB disabling here. The ones I listed are also not the only issues in other cars.

Where do I say that?

Where do I say that?

Here's the entirety of your post in response to my list of severe safety-critical problems in other vehicles (to make the point that other manufacturers also have failures in shipping vehicles and they are not considered catastrophic by the general population): "They’re also all a lot cheaper than a Tesla."
What was the intended interpretation of pointing out they are cheaper?

And you’re the guy playing games with syntax and semantics; you get called on that as well:

It's not syntax to say there's a difference between a person and his/her actions. I come here to read posts, not to read people. And I may disagree with certain posts but not the people behind them. Regardless, I apologize if you feel I've personally attacked you. It certainly wasn't intentional if it was perceived that way.

Last edited:
More information is always better. Customers aware that AEB is temporarily disabled with AP2.5 can now decide to purchase an inventory vehicle with AP2.0 instead. The 2 or 3 customers worldwide who decide to buy the older hardware for this reason will be grateful I am sure.:) And everyone else can enjoy the benefits of having the latest hardware in their cars.

Personally, I am looking forward to my Model 3 in a couple months equipped with the latest AP hardware, whether AEB is enabled yet or not.

I updated the title for clarity. So people who bought the car earlier in the year aren't concerned as it doesn't apply to them. We don't always get approval prior to a title change.

The original title was "Tesla Turns Off AEB In New Cars"

Was the change something that completely changed the meaning of the thread title?
The fact is that Tesla turned it off in cars produced since July -- that's a helpful fix, no doubt, to specify to which cars it applies. Thank you.

Howeverrrrr....

"Temporarily" remains to be seen. It's mid September already. That is a significant change to the original thread title and really has no place.

Tesla Turns Off AEB In New Cars Produced Since July -- no hard date set for (re)activation.

Reactions: Swift
It hardly is a significant change. 'Tesla turns off AED in new cars' is all still there. If Tesla announces they have permanently disabled AEB then yes, we can update the title. Tesla has said it will be temporary and no reason to doubt them at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: alcibiades
Here's the entirety of your post in response to my list of severe safety-critical problems in other vehicles (to make the point that other manufacturers also have failures in shipping vehicles and they are not considered catastrophic by the general population): "They’re also all a lot cheaper than a Tesla."
What was the intended interpretation of pointing out they are cheaper?
That was my only issue with where you took the conversation. I’ve explained it a few times.

If much less expensive cars can successfully implement features like AEB when the margins are small, Tesla really has no excuse to not be able to do the same when their margins are significantly higher.

I took the opportunity to respond to both of their posts in that that GM, Ford, along with the the manufacturers somnambule cited, all were significantly less expensive on average. Point being that Tesla really has no excuse given the premium they charge for their vehicles and the often cited significantly higher margins they make.

I don’t see how we get to your conclusion, much less the reference to “poor people”. Let’s just keep the conversation about the safety features Tesla provides or disables in this case, and how they compare to what other manufacturers are providing.

My key points are:

- the car I test drove had AEB and it was a feature that was highlighted
- the car I received did not have AEB
- AEB was added later (albeit in an incomplete state) after Consumer Reports reduced Tesla’s safety rating for not having it
- it took until June of this year for it to supposedly be fully functional
- I went over 6 months without a key safety feature (AEB) that a number of other vehicles have (including some that were significantly less expensive options for me)
- it’s happening over again as Tesla released HW2.5 and once again AEB is not ready for prime time

Last edited:
It hardly is a significant change. 'Tesla turns off AED in new cars' is all still there. If Tesla announces they have permanently disabled AEB then yes, we can update the title. Tesla has said it will be temporary and no reason to doubt them at this point.
There is every reason to doubt them about their claims related to non-MobileEye AP.

My EAP is expected to be complete in December 2016 and rolled out in an over the air update.

Rain-sensing wipers.

3, 6 months definitely.

Disengagement reports.

Original AEB delay.

The "temporarily" is not a fact. It is a claim that you are presenting as fact. My suggested change is far more honest than yours. There is no announced date of return.

With all due respect, it should be hard to say that with a straight face. I can provide many statements and commitments made by Tesla that have been yet to be realized.
For hardware that was delivered and then functionality taken away? Yes, things like lighted vanity mirrors and the app store and many things in the early days when production was ramping up but not something like this. But fine, if it makes people feel better I'll take out the word temporarily. Without it, it sounds like they permanently disabled it which if true, would be a major issue and I doubt Tesla will let it come to that.

For hardware that was delivered and then functionality taken away? Yes, things like lighted vanity mirrors and the app store and many things in the early days when production was ramping up but not something like this. But fine, if it makes people feel better I'll take out the word temporarily. Without it, it sounds like they permanently disabled it which if true, would be a major issue and I doubt Tesla will let it come to that.
You do not know if it is going to be temporary. Tesla CLAIMS it is going to be temporary. That is a significant difference.

Why are you reluctant to amend the thread title to make this clear? It's weird.

I understand that you have followed Tesla much longer than I have. But my experience is that there is what Tesla DOES, and there is what Tesla CLAIMS. And sometimes the two lineup. Sometimes you get EAP.

Reactions: pilotSteve
There is every reason to doubt them about their claims related to non-MobileEye AP.

My EAP is expected to be complete in December 2016 and rolled out in an over the air update.

Rain-sensing wipers.

3, 6 months definitely.

Disengagement reports.

Original AEB delay.

The "temporarily" is not a fact. It is a claim that you are presenting as fact. My suggested change is far more honest than yours. There is no announced date of return.

Well, Tesla permanently disables AEP is also a claim that you are presenting as fact. Tesla said 6 weeks according to the article "The system should be available to owners within 6 weeks, Tesla said, even though the vehicles were initially sold as having AEB as standard equipment." We don't know either way. Unless its a few years from now or Tesla announces it is permanently disabled, we kind of have to take their word on it.

You do not know if it is going to be temporary. Tesla CLAIMS it is going to be temporary. That is a significant difference.

Why are you reluctant to amend the thread title to make this clear? It's weird.
It's not 'weird', I already did it. It was meant to reflect the press statement that it would be about 6 weeks. Apparently that touched a nerve.

Well, Tesla permanently disables AEP is also a claim that you are presenting as fact. Tesla said 6 weeks according to the article "The system should be available to owners within 6 weeks, Tesla said, even though the vehicles were initially sold as having AEB as standard equipment." We don't know either way. Unless its a few years from now or Tesla announces it is permanently disabled, we kind of have to take their word on it.
Dude. No. The absence of the word temporarily doesn't entail permanence. It entails "no one knows".

Do you recall the message board litigation over "expect" in the EAP option description? The same people who are apologeticizing for Tesla here were the ones who said that the word "Expect" doesn't mean that you should expect anything. You cannot have it both ways.

• Love
Reactions: oktane
Dude. No. The absence of the word temporarily doesn't entail permanence. It entails "no one knows".

Do you recall the message board litigation over "expect" in the EAP option description? The same people who are apologeticizing for Tesla here were the ones who said that the word "Expect" doesn't mean that you should expect anything. You cannot have it both ways.
Can you provide the quote where I said that?

That's exactly what temporarily implies and that word is forbidden.
It is not a fact that it is temporary until it is turned back on. Until that point it is INTENDED to be temporary or CLAIMED to be temporary or EXPECTED to be temporary. This is not a difficult distinction to grasp. It's not like I'm trying to weasel like saying that witless things aren't posted by witless people. ;)

It is not a fact that it is temporary until it is turned back on. Until that point it is INTENDED to be temporary or CLAIMED to be temporary or EXPECTED to be temporary. This is not a difficult distinction to grasp. It's not like I'm trying to weasel like saying that witless things aren't posted by witless people. ;)

These titles can only be so long. otherwise it would be

Tesla has stated they have disabled AEB in all new cars since late July and STATE they INTEND it to be temporary for a 6 week period but we shall see if they are telling the truth.