Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla two year service at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my two year service done by Tesla in my driveway. He did the brake fluid check, brake cleaning and tire rotation. He also pulled the logs from the car to check my battery health. The cost was $137.75, that's really cheap for all the work he did. I was extremely happy with how thorough the brake job was, he took the brakes apart, cleaned the pads, polished some rod and lubricated the brakes. All this was done in my own driveway, there is no reason to take your to a service center or to a third party.

Here are some videos of the brake servicing,

Well, there is a reason to travel to an SC when you live outside the zone. It totally sucks to be 25 or so miles from my SC and it's "too far" to make a house call.

I am glad that it worked out for you, though, because that means that it's still helping a lot of people with a low-cost, convenient service.

In the app, what service appointment/request did you enter? would it be just other -> 2 year service? Do they provide prices prior to coming out?

I wanted to get a 2 year service done and also replace cabin air filters, but wanted to see how much they charge.

Well, there is a reason to travel to an SC when you live outside the zone. It totally sucks to be 25 or so miles from my SC and it's "too far" to make a house call.

I am glad that it worked out for you, though, because that means that it's still helping a lot of people with a low-cost, convenient service.
I guess I'm in the sweet spot, 37 miles from the Dedham Service center which is far enough to get driveway service but not so far as to be inconvenient if II have a serious problem.

In the app, what service appointment/request did you enter? would it be just other -> 2 year service? Do they provide prices prior to coming out?

I wanted to get a 2 year service done and also replace cabin air filters, but wanted to see how much they charge.
In the app I checked off tire rotation and then I added a message requesting brake service. The service was scheduled a few weeks out and I didn't get any more information until a few days ago when they gave be the price and asked me to approve it. I didn't do cabin air filters because I haven't noticed any problems but if you do want them then you should add them to your service request. The tech says he only carries enough filters to cover the service requests that have ordered them.

I just had my two year service done by Tesla in my driveway. He did the brake fluid check, brake cleaning and tire rotation. He also pulled the logs from the car to check my battery health. The cost was $137.75, that's really cheap for all the work he did. I was extremely happy with how thorough the brake job was, he took the brakes apart, cleaned the pads, polished some rod and lubricated the brakes. All this was done in my own driveway, there is no reason to take your to a service center or to a third party.

How is the car jacked up? I see the jack in the rear, but it the front end looks like it's levitating!

Strange, I live and work an hour and a half away from the nearest SC, and they came out and installed my HomeLink in my office parking lot. I had expected to need to drive in for it, but it seems they make regular trips out this way.

Strange, I live and work an hour and a half away from the nearest SC, and they came out and installed my HomeLink in my office parking lot. I had expected to need to drive in for it, but it seems they make regular trips out this way.
Maybe it's traffic based, or the fact I'm considered as living in the sticks and they have to cross a couple of bridges. I'm not sure. I can drive to that location in less than 25 minutes. They just won't come out here. If traffic was heavy it'd take over 40 minutes, though. Maybe that on a RT basis is considered too much.

I wasn't aware a 2 year service was recommended. My Tesla 3 is 2 years old with 19,000 miles. Which is preferable: a 2 year or a 20,000 miles service?
Its the brake cleaning and lubrication that matters, that's time and location not distance based. We have salt on our roads in winter, it doesn't matter how many miles you do the salty slush is going to coat your wheels and the underside of the car. If you live in the South or California you won't have that problem but for anyone in a state with seasons getting the brake service every couple of years makes sense. Tire rotation is a function of miles but I do it once a year. The cost to do tire rotation and brake service was so low that it doesn't make sense not to do it.

How long did entire service take? He only checked the brake fluid, not replace/flush? I thought brake fluid needs to be flushed every 2 years, regardless of mileage/use as it degrades over time.

Brake fluid doesn't degrade over time but it can get water in it if seals are bad. I think they can test for water and if it's ok it doesn't need flushing. If you race the car it's a different story. On non salted roads you don't need any regular service except tires. I rotated the tires once at 10k miles on my LRRD and it doesn't need it again. Front wheel steering and rear wheel drive and braking seems to even out.

I just had my two year service done by Tesla in my driveway. He did the brake fluid check, brake cleaning and tire rotation.

In case anyone else is considering this service - you want to replace the brake fluid after 2-3 years in the lines, not "check" it. "Checking" brake fluid is meaningless.
If you ever track your car, you want to replace brake fluid annually or semi-annually. If you race it - before each event.

Lubricating and cleaning brake caliper guide pins (especially on the rear floating calipers) is a good idea.

I wasn't aware a 2 year service was recommended. My Tesla 3 is 2 years old with 19,000 miles. Which is preferable: a 2 year or a 20,000 miles service?

Brake fluid is hydrophobic, it absorbs water out of the air over time. This happens even if you do not drive the car, so the maintenance schedule is purely time based.
Then water pools at the lowest point in the brake lines. That is usually near the brake calipers. When you use brakes in an emergency, the pads heat up the calipers, which in turn heat up the brake fluid. Water in the fluid boils first, turning into steam, and your brake pedal goes to the floor without applying pressure to the pads to slow the car.

What happens next depends on the circumstances on the road, but wet brown spots in the pants are not uncommon, possibly followed by impact braking.

Brake fluid doesn't degrade over time but it can get water in it if seals are bad. I think they can test for water and if it's ok it doesn't need flushing. If you race the car it's a different story. On non salted roads you don't need any regular service except tires. I rotated the tires once at 10k miles on my LRRD and it doesn't need it again. Front wheel steering and rear wheel drive and braking seems to even out.
This is completely untrue.
Water is absorbed into brake fluid through rubber lines themselves, as well as the reservoir cap (which is designed to freely vent access fluid). This happens regardless of the age and conditions of rubber brake lines and seals.

On both RWD and AWD Teslas, rear tires wear faster. They wear out WAY faster on RWD cars.
Rotating tires prolongs their overall lifespan of the set.

He also pulled the logs from the car to check my battery health. The cost was $137.75, that's really cheap for all the work he did. I was extremely happy with how thorough the brake job was
Cheap or not - if you want to maintain your brakes - you must replace the fluid!

Also, rotating the wheels is something that any one of us is perfectly capable of doing in our own driveways.
Swapping between summer and winter wheels on all four corners takes less than 30 minutes (second time around).
Swapping brake pads (when necessary) adds another 15-30 minutes to the job (it takes longer to take the wheel off and put them back on). Both jobs require only a jack, a torque wrench, and few rudimentary tools that most folks already own.

Bleeding the brake fluid requires a pressure bleeder, and only adds another ~5 minutes per corner (once wheels are off).

Details here:

HTH,
a

• Informative
Reactions: KenC