Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla U.K. have closed all their front of house service teams and it’s absolutely baffling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Casss

Aug 6, 2021
UK
I hope you’ll all excuse me for the mild rant and 10pm shoddily-cobbled-together manifesto (of sorts) that follows but it’s got me rustled.

During my most recent SC experience I learned that Tesla U.K. have recently absorbed, moved or otherwise closed most if not all of their front of house service teams into other remote teams. There is now no one on-site to interface between customers and tech’s other than the tech’s themselves, (one or two of whom in many cases I’m told are doing all of the go-between at a location if the SC manager can’t).

This is from a somewhat exasperated tesla employee trying to help me unpick the status of my appointment and report some issues with a loaner car, so unless I’ve been given the wrong info, I’m staggered by this decision.

Long story short:

• 3 month wait for appointment and parts (not uncommon at this point, but still not something to shout about).
  • wrong parts despite promises and logical assumptions to the contrary. I will need multiple visits after all which I was trying to avoid as it’s a long drive.
  • no internal communication (customer now fulfils role of intermediary between teams bizarrely).
  • app lacking necessary detail and prone to allowing errors in service centre processes.
  • parts ordered that weren’t even needed. The ones that turned up for the appointment were not needed, the ones that didn’t turn up were needed (no one has ownership of the service request now, so the detail that can be provided in the app was missed, ignored or unavailable to right the person). Waste of time, shipping, parts that may be needed elsewhere.
  • overlapping processes.
  • confusing, conflicting notifications.
  • not enough on-site staff (ghost ship mode).
  • It’s a big mess, and a waste of my and Tesla staff’s time.

The experience prior to this one was fantastic, as was the one before but this move seems an awful one. The front of house service teams were AMAZING. Efficient, knowledgeable, understood customer needs, understood and communicated the constraints tech’s are working under, and made things smooth.

The app and ‘remote where possible’ aspects of the Tesla service experience were the icing on the cake as both an entry point and way to get easy updates but I really hope Tesla U.K. reconsider this. Maybe I just got unlucky in the changeover phase, but it seems there are big organisational and process challenges now and it’s a total PITA for customers potentially. I know Tesla is the AI company, but service interactions need human beings in the right places, able to do their part.

I’ll keep it brief from here, and am interested to hear other thoughts but this feels like a big step backwards for us as owners in the U.K. and I’ll try and summarise why.

• Service techs should be empowered to use their skills and be free to troubleshoot and work on vehicles free from the hassle of customer updates and being responsible for providing those updates to customers. I shouldn’t have to ask someone at the other end of the country to call a tech who is trying to do the job on my car to ask him to stop work and text me an update. It’s madness. A single front of house staff member at the SC who had an overview would have made every issue experienced a non-issue. They just wouldn’t have happened with even modestly adequate oversight, which was far from lacking before.
  • Front of house and organisational staff should be allowed to do what they do best, and be there as both a filter, organiser (and advocate) for the customer and the tech’s to ensure the process goes smoothly and that the gaps between automated or repeat processes are bridged effectively.
  • The app is great, ok? It’s great. But it’s not a human being. It’s not intelligent and it’s not infallible. As a customer, sometimes you just need to speak to or message someone who can be close to the challenges, has relevant experience and who can grasp the nuances of a given situation to smooth things over.
  • You cannot automate a process where customer needs (and vehicle or problem specifics) are infinitely variable - no app can do that alone, and one that tries to be all things is bound to cause frustration.
  • Having service request information accessible to all the remote teams only goes so far. It does not help said teams (or the customer) problem solve. Every time a different team member is involved, it takes time for them to get up to speed and requires time on the part of the customer to give them the context or nuance, which whilst in theory you would hope and could argue is the exception not the rule, this rarely proves true in my experience. We go to service centres because we have vehicle or use case specific problems, therefore detail and nuance is a given.

TLDR; Tesla U.K., I implore you to bring back your front of house service centre teams. Until 8/10 appointments are mobile, they are vital.

Boggling my mind just recounting it all. This has gone from an experience that tore up the legacy dealership hymn sheet for the better, to a demo on how to make every single step of the process a stumble.

Service centre specific ‘front of house’ teams could even work from home if that’s the play! (I doubt this is the case given Mr. Musk’s most recent emails though). The point is they would still have direct contact with the tech’s and customers, and can manage the detail for active tickets for their specific service centre, so the detail required is manageable. Having a dedicated ‘case manager’ is invaluable on so many levels, I can’t even start on it because I’ll be here another hour…

I should clarify, this is not primarily just a rant about a specific SC experience. It’s ongoing and they’re doing their best to do a good job, but it seems stacked against them right now. They have been very apologetic and I have no doubt it will all work out, I just want to make the case using this example for why these teams are needed, and wanted.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
That explains the email yesterday then, about customers having a direct line to technicians. There’s me thinking that It might actually be a positive step, but I didn’t realise this was the price.

Recently I paid to have the two repeater cameras replaced on my M3P due to the orange light bleed problem on earlier ones. This involves quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with front of house, because I was ordering specific parts that weren’t strictly for my VIN. Ultimately I had to provide two alternative part numbers that were equivalent, but “off menu”. All of these conversations took place before a tech even saw the car.

When it came to getting the invoice I noticed that the price I had been quoted for the cameras was wrong to the tune of about £35 (the replacement part numbers I gave were more expensive but a front of house rep had agreed to honour the original invoice price). Again, this took a couple of conversations to resolve. Conversations that wouldn’t have worked over text directly with the tech.

I’ve always felt reassured with the communications I’d had with a couple of people in particular at my local SC, who I felt were prepared to listen to my queries and be my advocate, etc. This wouldn’t have worked with service techs for the most part, for the reasons the OP mentions. Two different disciplines.

I’m pretty cheesed off by this to be honest, if it’s as described.

• Informative
Reactions: Obliter8 and Casss
When did this change happen?
I'm not certain, but when I raised the original service request in March, there was a dedicated front of house team for the service department at the SC, who I spoke to directly but there were some things that needed clarifying and now they aren't there. They had been there since the SC opened and I had dealt with them a few times. The person I spoke to was a team leader and said that there had been a recent reshuffle. So I'd guess at some point in the last three months?

• Informative
Reactions: Obliter8 and Durzel
Presumably techs are organising loan cars etc too? Not a good use of their time if so.
That was the case for me, and yep I agree completely. I nearly didn't get one because they didn't have access to the loan agreement that I completed nearly a week before.

Tbf once you've bought the car why would you need looking after?
Can't tell if you're joking or not...

Tbf once you've bought the car why would you need looking after?
Im not sure they even look after you particularly well when you buy the car. Dates flying around all over the place, you’re given a small window to collect it and I’ve had a better handover experience buying a burger. Only the last of those was after payment.

So long as you can sell 1 more car than you can make, why bother with service.

I feel sorry for the staff they do have, I’m sure most want to take pride in their work and didn’t become a mechanic because they enjoyed talking to people. They just want to fix cars.

I popped into my local service centre about 4 weeks ago and they told me of the impending change. They said the technicians were not to happy with the changes and didn't want to take on the customer facing role.

It was not clear how they dealt with questions, issues and escalations arising from the work or customer contact. From a customer contact viewpoint you may be given your car back without even seeing the technician, which makes it very difficult to query in a timely manner as the technician has an SLA to respond to your query within two hours. Not good if you are stood in a service centre unhappy and have been assigned a contactless pickup.

In my last visit (a week ago) I was left hanging around the service centre for an hour, after they asked for an 8am drop off of my car after they forgot to send me details of how to pickup the keys for the loan car. No one on site until the sales team arrived at 9 and nobody to call. I wasn't best pleased.

I generally don't mind change, however I am not a big fan of change when there are no processes in place to back up the change. I find it odd that a company of this size does not an effective customer contact and service system, and suitable backend processes to run it.

Perhaps nobody is in the company and the Tesla supercomputer is replying to every contact, learning from its mistakes all the time :)

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Casss
I guess the writing on the wall for this came when Tesla started directing all calls to any service centre to basically whoever picked up the phone first.

I'm sure some Tesla zealots (or shareholders) will paint this as "trimming the fat", but I'd like to think these front of house people weren't just sat on their hands all day long. Ergo having less people trying to do the same amount of work (or more, with more and more cars being delivered) is only going to lead to one conclusion - frustration all round.

• The app is great, ok? It’s great. But it’s not a human being. It’s not intelligent and it’s not infallible.
Wait until you find out about humans :)

But seriously, Tesla is trying to cut its costs just now*. Would you rather they cut the number of techs? Have someone in the SC telling you your car isn't ready because they don't have enough techs?
In my old job I had someone not very technical that I kept precisely to manage the non-technical aspects of work e.g. interactions with customers and suppliers. I was always under pressure to get rid of him as he was seen as an overhead in a technical team, but he dealt with the crap that invariably comes from customers and other teams. However when he retired, no-one missed him and the techs picked up his role between them. Were they more or less efficient? It's impossible to say as business processes change so often that it's hard to compare.

If Tesla is like every other business then the process will change again in a few months. Think of it as a software update for their service centres :)

*We could argue that a company that sells every product it makes should be able to afford as many staff as it wants, but that's a whole different argument on how capitalism works.

Reactions: Smileysam
It was not clear how they dealt with questions, issues and escalations arising from the work or customer contact. From a customer contact viewpoint you may be given your car back without even seeing the technician, which makes it very difficult to query in a timely manner as the technician has an SLA to respond to your query within two hours. Not good if you are stood in a service centre unhappy and have been assigned a contactless pickup.

In my last visit (a week ago) I was left hanging around the service centre for an hour, after they asked for an 8am drop off of my car after they forgot to send me details of how to pickup the keys for the loan car. No one on site until the sales team arrived at 9 and nobody to call. I wasn't best pleased.
Mine was in the other day, and the technician gave me a phone call to tell me what the state of play was. It was a bit frustrating, he agreed the drivers seat needed replacing (on my 2 month old MY!), but he couldn't hear the roof creaking because it was raining (that's not as stupid as it sounds as it seems linked to temperature), so he'll take a look again when the cars back in for the seat. I'd told them I have a fairly good video of the roof noise before the service but there's no way of attaching a video to the booking for them to see.

They seem to have the biggest margin on a new car out there so it's not like they need to do this to stay afloat. If they want to cut down on service centre costs, maybe build cars that need less warranty work, we'd all be happy then.

To think when they started they used to offer free parking near airports at service centres and really cared about service, even if the supply chain often let them down. How times have changed.

This is a retrograde development.
Last time I was at the Winchester service centre there was nothing in the waiting area, other than a poster telling people to wait in the "showroom". I wondered why. Now I know.

Now the only way to contact Tesla Service is to log an issue, it seems This could drive me away.

Reactions: Casss
They seem to have the biggest margin on a new car out there so it's not like they need to do this to stay afloat. If they want to cut down on service centre costs, maybe build cars that need less warranty work, we'd all be happy then.
Yep, very well put.

Just to go off topic for a sec - could your roof noise issue be a door seal issue? Reason I ask is that there is one door on mine that creaks when it is warm, (sounds like roof area but isn’t) and it was where the weather strip / door seals on the body and door meet. Very much temperature dependent, and some Gummi Pfledge solves it. Have had the same on other cars, it's pretty common. May be something else but just an idea incase it saves you some head scratching.

Last edited: