Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla U.K. have closed all their front of house service teams and it’s absolutely baffling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd told them I have a fairly good video of the roof noise before the service but there's no way of attaching a video to the booking for them to see.
I though that too when I had a nice video of my suspension making a noise like two wine bottles clanking each time I went forwards or backwards (I really did think the Mrs had left a load of wine in the boot .... very unlike her). However when I went to book it in there was only the add pictures option, so I gave that a go anyway and it seemed to let me upload the video. I spoke to the technician and he said he got the video, so it must work, it's probably just badly worded in the app and should read "upload attachment"

Just to go off topic for a sec - could your roof noise issue a door seal issue? Reason I ask is that there is one door on mine that creaks when it is warm, and it was the where weather strip / door seals on the body and door touched. Very much temperature dependent, and some Gummi Pfledge solves it. Have had the same on other cars, it's pretty common. May be something else but just an idea incase it saves you some head scratching.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m useless at pinpointing noise so could be, although I’m told it’s bad in the back too. I’ve heard good things of gummi f so might be worth trying on all the seals

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m useless at pinpointing noise so could be, although I’m told it’s bad in the back too. I’ve heard good things of gummi f so might be worth trying on all the seals
You can tell in a second if it's the window seals. Just drop the window a centimetre and if it is the noise will stop. Happens on my passenger front window. I need to redo the Gummi P.

It's a numbers game now, with more and more shareholders expecting returns.

It's not helped by Elon being seemingly distracted by irrelevant things like buying Twitter and meme lording it around on there.
It's not that.

It's a bit like the airline boss who would have a brilliant airline if it wasn't for the passengers.
Tesla would be a great company if it wasn't for the customers and the staff needed to satisfy the customer's neverending demands.

Just to play devils advocate somewhat, I had my windscreen replaced at the Winchester SC yesterday and, once I'd gotten over the fact that the previously occupied service centre door was boarded up, the whole process was faultless.

The tech (shout out to Kev) kept me up to date on progress as the day wore on and answered any questions I had very quickly. No issues whatsoever with that side of it.

Reactions: init6
Though I agree with the concerns about needing someone in a service management role this change now explains something that I thought was unusual, yet helpful, when my car was due to go into the SC a couple of weeks ago.

I had submitted a service request via the app as I wanted a brake service (car has been through 3 salty Scottish winters). I had included information, with photos, about bands of surface corrosion and the fact that I had attempted to remove the pad retaining pins with a view to doing the brake clean and lube myself ... but that the pins were sufficiently seized that I was risking damaging them in the process. The surprising bit is that I received a phone call in advance directly from the guy who was actually going to do the job! We discussed the issues around the brake service and his (appropriate) concern in case I had damaged the pins by belting them into a deformed state, because in the worst scenario they may have to replace the caliper ... after our positive chat and me finishing by asking that he do his best he says "I'll see you on Monday"! Now, as we know the Service Centre hand over is touchless and faceless nowadays so I didn't actually see him on Monday and the thought went through my head that I was just being prepared for bad news. As it happens he did do his best and carried out the brake service without any issue... result!

The element of being able to deal with the people doing the work is a good thing. If I'm dealing with a local garage I always want to speak with the actual mechanic if feasible. However, as others have already highlighted there must be a myriad of tasks and communications within the service department realm that could better be managed by someone else ... perhaps someone with strengths in multitasking and organisation rather than someone with strengths in the use of tools and with practical workshop knowledge.

Though I agree with the concerns about needing someone in a service management role this change now explains something that I thought was unusual, yet helpful, when my car was due to go into the SC a couple of weeks ago.

I had submitted a service request via the app as I wanted a brake service (car has been through 3 salty Scottish winters). I had included information, with photos, about bands of surface corrosion and the fact that I had attempted to remove the pad retaining pins with a view to doing the brake clean and lube myself ... but that the pins were sufficiently seized that I was risking damaging them in the process. The surprising bit is that I received a phone call in advance directly from the guy who was actually going to do the job! We discussed the issues around the brake service and his (appropriate) concern in case I had damaged the pins by belting them into a deformed state, because in the worst scenario they may have to replace the caliper ... after our positive chat and me finishing by asking that he do his best he says "I'll see you on Monday"! Now, as we know the Service Centre hand over is touchless and faceless nowadays so I didn't actually see him on Monday and the thought went through my head that I was just being prepared for bad news. As it happens he did do his best and carried out the brake service without any issue... result!

The element of being able to deal with the people doing the work is a good thing. If I'm dealing with a local garage I always want to speak with the actual mechanic if feasible. However, as others have already highlighted there must be a myriad of tasks and communications within the service department realm that could better be managed by someone else ... perhaps someone with strengths in multitasking and organisation rather than someone with strengths in the use of tools and with practical workshop knowledge.
3 salty Scottish winters + 1 salty Scottish owner 🤣

This would explain the dismal performance at Notts SC a few days ago. I went with 3 issues, water holding up behind a door seal, a personal request to change the 12V battery as it's approaching 3 years old (paid for - not warranty) and also to get the rear camera wiring loom done as it was part of the recall. There was no service person at the front desk so I ended up checking in with a sales guy. There were 4 people waiting and one of them explained the changes to me - they were all waiting for their respective techs to show. I picked up the loaner and headed back home, noting that it only had just enough juice to get there and back.

At around 3.30 I got a text to say the car was ready so I headed back in to collect. The service tech came out and advised that the door seal was in spec (!) and that the 12V couldn't be changed as a warranty job - errm I know that, I wanted to pay for it! There was no time to do the wiring loom apparently. So of the 3 jobs, nothing got done - not a sausage. So a completely wasted journey. I expressed my displeasure and asked them to explain how the door seal could possibly be "in spec" - it wasn't letting water into the car which is all that matters apparently. Errrm nope. If it rains, about half a pint of water comes sloshing out when the door is opened. I immediately booked another service and they seem to have accepted that something does actually need to be done.

I've now had around 6 or 7 non-trivial issues with the car in coming up 3 years and it's getting a bit wearing. When the SC also fails dismally on top of that, you do start to wonder. I love how the car drives but the build quality isn't great on the earlier builds. To be fair, I asked on of the sales guys about the quality of the MIC cars and he invited me to sit in one - it did feel better, solid door clunk and all that, but it was just a cursory glance.

Oh and they also told me that my Michelin Cross Climate tyres are "not Tesla spec" - I asked them what the implications of that were but they couldn't tell me. So who knows? Does that invalidate insurance or what? I highly doubt it but it's not something you glibly want to tell customers without explaining what it means. If that last visit to the SC is indicative, things don't look great for the future! Hopefully they will review and get some coordination re-instated - currently it's dismal.

At around 3.30 I got a text to say the car was ready so I headed back in to collect. The service tech came out and advised that the door seal was in spec (!) and that the 12V couldn't be changed as a warranty job - errm I know that, I wanted to pay for it! There was no time to do the wiring loom apparently. So of the 3 jobs, nothing got done - not a sausage. So a completely wasted journey. I expressed my displeasure and asked them to explain how the door seal could possibly be "in spec" - it wasn't letting water into the car which is all that matters apparently. Errrm nope. If it rains, about half a pint of water comes sloshing out when the door is opened. I immediately booked another service and they seem to have accepted that something does actually need to be done.
Absolutely frustrating. What an absolute waste of everyone's time and money.

I'm now waiting on an ETA for the parts that were not present for my service appointment. Tech couldn't give me any kind of ballpark which is fair enough because apparently until the parts "order" is received at the other end , they haven't a clue and no point guesstimating because it's always changing. My expectation is multiple months. At least it's not something critical in terms of using the car i.e. glass or something drive or safety related so I can enjoy the car whilst waiting.

Reactions: spon88
Just to play devils advocate somewhat, I had my windscreen replaced at the Winchester SC yesterday and, once I'd gotten over the fact that the previously occupied service centre door was boarded up, the whole process was faultless.

The tech (shout out to Kev) kept me up to date on progress as the day wore on and answered any questions I had very quickly. No issues whatsoever with that side of it.
All my previous SC experiences have been faultless too overall. Just out of curiosity, did you get updates via text or using the in-app service messages?

My experience has been that they switch between the two randomly, sometimes auto-generated and sometimes written by a tech. The issue is they often overlap, or are completely out-of-sync.

For instance, for the collection-stage of the process, I had half of the collection instructions by text and half in the app, which is curious because in the past it was always consistent one or the other from start to finish, and normally SMS. I can't think off the top of my head why they'd do this for security but maybe there is an element of that.

Oh and they also told me that my Michelin Cross Climate tyres are "not Tesla spec" - I asked them what the implications of that were but they couldn't tell me. So who knows? Does that invalidate insurance or what? I highly doubt it but it's not something you glibly want to tell customers without explaining what it means.
As long as they are dimensionally correct, meet the necessary speed and load ratings they are talking a load of ballcocks. Perhaps they don’t have the silent foam liner. No big deal.

Yes same here in Aberdeen. Faultless, seamless repair experience this week!

I don’t know whether this change is already implemented up here or not,
but the service was excellent relative to the faff we go through at the local Audi garage.

I ran BMWs almost continuously for about 15 years and suffered my fair share of issues. Having to deal with the service advisors was a mixed bag. Some were utterly hopeless and I wished I could have spoken directly with the tech doing the work. Some were better and showed real interest in delivering a result for the owner. On balance, I think they do play an essential role in driving a decent service experience.

Reactions: Casss
It’s a bit impersonal and weird, but I can’t fault the experience with Chester. Have experienced BMW and Audi and whilst they have people to talk to you still ultimately get dumped on a couch with a manky brew and are more likely to get fleeeced.

Been twice (radio and lights) and heading there a third time soon and each time it’s been park car, nip the loo inside, wander around the corner to Currys to laugh at the prices vs online, go to Tim Hortons and then get a text saying it’s ready to collect.

Had a call not long after I arrived the most recent time just to talk through the plan of action, but the guy who called me was great and we agreed on a good way to fix the issues in a way that worked, which included a second visit due to it needing to go into the paint shop.

Actually prefer that a layer of bollocks has been removed. Don’t mind the “pared down” experience. Just want the facts and a basic level of courtesy. So far it’s been much better than the last few years.

Nothing mind like what it was like five years ago before the 3 and Y arrived on the scene, but that was never really in the plan or sustainable.

I had a proper barney with the Birmingham SC who in consecutive texts told me that ‘they needed my car all day’ but that ‘I didn’t qualify for a loaner as my warranty repair was under three hours’. It had also taken weeks for the appointment to take place due to it being pushed back pending ‘delivery of parts’ which never actually arrived and weren't required in any event.

On the day though a loaner M3P was provided and the warranty issue fixed without fuss on the day. I was back in my model Y by 5.30pm and the guys at the centre were very helpful. For me, the build-up is the problem, the delivery is very good.

If anyone is interested, the issue was a recurring ‘safety restraint fault’ which (as I had suspected) was a caused by a loose cable on the sensor which tells the airbag whether the driver seatbelt is on or not. Apparently not a fault they’d seen before…