Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA UI / UX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering what owners honestly, objectively think of this? I think it’s very obviously designed by software engineers working at a tech company and not focused for drivers / motorists.

It’s as if Tesla didn’t engage / consult any professional designers in this field and it shows versus the competition.

Basically, if you’re going to commit so much functionality to one screen, the experience has to be exceptional - it’s far from that.

Harsh? Or are Tesla owners are just so happy to have a 300-mile range car that looks good and drives well that it’s just easy to overlook this?

Wondering what owners honestly, objectively think of this? I

There are likely more than 40-50 threads here on TMC discussing various aspects of the interface. If I started linking some of the various threads here, because you say "I wonder what owners opinions are", some would think I am being mean or rude (because I could likely link at least 30 separate threads minimum on the topic of Tesla UI discussion, with several being multiple pages).

Since people will think I am being rude if I do that, I will just say perhaps it would be a good idea to search around both this subforum, and the dedicated subforum for software discussion if in fact you really want "other owners opinions" vs just starting another thread to discuss the topic.

There are likely more than 40-50 threads here on TMC discussing various aspects of the interface. If I started linking some of the various threads here, because you say "I wonder what owners opinions are", some would think I am being mean or rude (because I could likely link at least 30 separate threads minimum on the topic of Tesla UI discussion, with several being multiple pages).

Since people will think I am being rude if I do that, I will just say perhaps it would be a good idea to search around both this subforum, and the dedicated subforum for software discussion if in fact you really want "other owners opinions" vs just starting another thread to discuss the topic.

I’ll try again. Appreciate the honesty but the first 10-15 results for ‘UI or UX’ or ‘Interface’ return nothing on owners thoughts on the fundamentals of Tesla’s system.

If you can share ones you mention that would be ace.

Last edited:
Being a fairly new owner (mid October), I’m pretty happy with it. Previous “infotainment” experience was fords sync system which I felt was very redundant and lacked a lot in smooth transitional use between certain features. I would like to see a bit more subtle color used in the Tesla UI.

I think it’s really poor. Almost unusable when driving. Every part of it is amateurish. The use and division of space for functions, the prioritising of features and the typography and design hasn’t had any real thought applied from a user / motorists perspective. It’s been designed like a (poor) tablet app - which is a mind blowing decision given the use case.

What car are you basing this on?

I have a lot of gripes about the UI, but what ever they are, it's like 10x better than it was a year ish ago when they released this version.

There are a couple monster threads that went on for months until most of the major issues got fixed. People hated the UI from day one, many very experienced UI designers did very careful critiques, all gave it a failing grade.

Several really stupid decisions remain, and will likely never be corrected, but you just have to say f--- it, whatever, no other EV has anything close to the drivetrain quality or super charger network.

Really, every couple months I try to dive into what it would really take to drive around the west coast on non-Tesla networks. It just looks excruciating, all the different charger apps you have to sign up for, pre-load wallets, and then try to find working DC fast chargers. It's a freaking mess, in my mind 1000x worse UX than whatever flaws you can find in the Tesla UI.

Just punch in your destination, the car finds the chargers, you might choose different ones for coffee or lunch choices,
and just drive. No fussing with literally horrible, childish, half broken UI/UX in all the non Tesla charge network apps.

Go rent an VW EV and try to do a 1000 mile road trip, let me know how that UX holds up.

I’ll try again. Appreciate the honesty but the first 10-15 results for ‘UI or UX’ or ‘Interface’ return nothing on owners thoughts on the fundamentals of Tesla’s system.

If you can share ones you mention that would be ace.

Any and all threads talking about Version 11 will give you users thoughts on teslas system.

Reactions: WyoDude
What car are you basing this on?

I have a lot of gripes about the UI, but what ever they are, it's like 10x better than it was a year ish ago when they released this version.

There are a couple monster threads that went on for months until most of the major issues got fixed. People hated the UI from day one, many very experienced UI designers did very careful critiques, all gave it a failing grade.

Several really stupid decisions remain, and will likely never be corrected, but you just have to say f--- it, whatever, no other EV has anything close to the drivetrain quality or super charger network.

Really, every couple months I try to dive into what it would really take to drive around the west coast on non-Tesla networks. It just looks excruciating, all the different charger apps you have to sign up for, pre-load wallets, and then try to find working DC fast chargers. It's a freaking mess, in my mind 1000x worse UX than whatever flaws you can find in the Tesla UI.

Just punch in your destination, the car finds the chargers, you might choose different ones for coffee or lunch choices,
and just drive. No fussing with literally horrible, childish, half broken UI/UX in all the non Tesla charge network apps.

Go rent an VW EV and try to do a 1000 mile road trip, let me know how that UX holds up.
I have driven Teslas from the first week they were ever released (S) and now have a 2023 YLR and the UI/UX is trash across that whole span. They’ve had 7 years to improve / evolve it and it’s barely changed. Really?

I’ve done many trips (in the UK) in other EVs and the charging is annoying but bearable. All were better to drive with superior interfaces and digital and physical. None of this is relevant. Every other EV has superior UI / UX execution because they’re made by car makers who fully understand their consumer, not software people who can’t grass the basics of their user.

I hate these arguments that we should put with how bad X is because they got Y right.

It’s easily the worst interface of any I’ve used in a car, gas or EV. I won’t settle for a 7/10 car when it could be 9+/10 if they just employed ACTUAL INTERFACE DESIGNERS from this field. It’s a major drawback.

The app is excellent and I love the clean cabin - a brave and successful decision let down by the poor interface.

Last edited:
I just made a different X-Y choice, for now. I don't want to put up with a highly suspect battery architecture just because they got the UI right. (Might be true of Rivian, but not VW and others).

I'm not saying your wrong or should put up with it, just how I justify putting up with it, for me, which is what you asked in the OP.

Every car UI has drawbacks, and we just make a choice to live with it or not. I had a "loaded" (Limited) Subaru Outback, and the HVAC controls sucked big time. Had to look for the right button every time, no tactile or visual feedback. We kept the car for the drivetrain.

Even Elon said their software sucks, late summer or early fall 2022. Maybe they'll fix it at some point.

Under all of this is tha macro trend in all UI to emulate the fad of the flat grey interface. It's all horrible. For me, the jump from iOS 6 to 7 was a crime against humanity, and it started all this nonsense.

Reactions: kavyboy and Ratch
Under all of this is tha macro trend in all UI to emulate the fad of the flat grey interface. It's all horrible. For me, the jump from iOS 6 to 7 was a crime against humanity, and it started all this nonsense.
Could not agree more. And I have the same thoughts as @Ratch regarding the interface…I think it’s a long distance away from a driver-oriented control panel. This UI and accompanying OTA updates that have removed desired functions have relegated our car to “not the daily driver” status. We use the Model 3 now only for trips where the Supercharger networks reigns supreme. All other travel is in a different EV.

I think it’s really poor. Almost unusable when driving. Every part of it is amateurish. The use and division of space for functions, the prioritising of features and the typography and design hasn’t had any real thought applied from a user / motorists perspective. It’s been designed like a (poor) tablet app - which is a mind blowing decision given the use case.
You hate the Tesla UI, and that is perfectly fine. But could you describe how it should objectively be done so it is usable when driving?

I ask because I've been driving my MYP for 15 months now, using V10 for about 3 months and V11 the rest, and I have been perfectly happy with the UI. Of course there are things that can/should be improved, but for the most part I have no issues using or locating anything I need to while I'm driving.

Now full disclosure, I do have some S3XY buttons in my car. But I have them more because I think they are cool accessories for the car and not because I need them to get around some issues I have with the UI. I think something like S3XY buttons would be great for any car.

For reference, currently I have access to two other EVs, an Audi fat etron (mom's car) and a Volvo C40 (wife's car). I would take the Tesla interface over either car because it's better laid out for my personal preferences.

Some reasons I don't like the etron and C40 interface as much as Tesla's:

etron:
-Crappy pressure sensitive touch screen where you need to push it in to register.
-Settings menu is organized far worse than Tesla's menus for me. I often have to do a lot of trial and error to find a simple setting to change because their organization logic doesn't quite work with my brain.
-Does have Apple Car Play, which I use because the native interface sucks. When Car Play is on, the screen becomes capacitive, so you don't need to push in. Makes no sense that the regular interface isn't capacitive when the screen is clearly capable.
-The native interface is a bit laggy, not helped by the pressure sensitive screen.

C40:
-Pretty bare bones Android Automotive interface that easy enough to use but not much going on in terms of features as-is it's still kind of half baked.
-Wired Car Play is much more cumbersome compared to wireless setup in the etron.
-Interface is kind of laggy.
-Does have OTA updates, but Volvo doesn't seem to be pushing the envelope much. Only tangible update that's decent in the past year is Car Play.

Anyway, I'm driving the etron this week because my mom and brother are out of town (they are the usual drivers of this car) and I'm trying to get a handle on how the car performs during the winter (with winter storm this week too) so I can teach my mom and my brother more about how to use it (I'm the EV "expert" in the family). I already find that I can't wait to get back into the MYP.

I can see the argument that the Tesla UI sucks for some people. But for others like me, it's perfectly fine. So I don't think you can just say it's crap for everyone. Like most things in life, not everyone is going to like the same things.

Reactions: GhostSkater
You hate the Tesla UI, and that is perfectly fine. But could you describe how it should objectively be done so it is usable when driving?

I ask because I've been driving my MYP for 15 months now, using V10 for about 3 months and V11 the rest, and I have been perfectly happy with the UI. Of course there are things that can/should be improved, but for the most part I have no issues using or locating anything I need to while I'm driving.

Now full disclosure, I do have some S3XY buttons in my car. But I have them more because I think they are cool accessories for the car and not because I need them to get around some issues I have with the UI. I think something like S3XY buttons would be great for any car.

For reference, currently I have access to two other EVs, an Audi fat etron (mom's car) and a Volvo C40 (wife's car). I would take the Tesla interface over either car because it's better laid out for my personal preferences.

Some reasons I don't like the etron and C40 interface as much as Tesla's:

etron:
-Crappy pressure sensitive touch screen where you need to push it in to register.
-Settings menu is organized far worse than Tesla's menus for me. I often have to do a lot of trial and error to find a simple setting to change because their organization logic doesn't quite work with my brain.
-Does have Apple Car Play, which I use because the native interface sucks. When Car Play is on, the screen becomes capacitive, so you don't need to push in. Makes no sense that the regular interface isn't capacitive when the screen is clearly capable.
-The native interface is a bit laggy, not helped by the pressure sensitive screen.

C40:
-Pretty bare bones Android Automotive interface that easy enough to use but not much going on in terms of features as-is it's still kind of half baked.
-Wired Car Play is much more cumbersome compared to wireless setup in the etron.
-Interface is kind of laggy.
-Does have OTA updates, but Volvo doesn't seem to be pushing the envelope much. Only tangible update that's decent in the past year is Car Play.

Anyway, I'm driving the etron this week because my mom and brother are out of town (they are the usual drivers of this car) and I'm trying to get a handle on how the car performs during the winter (with winter storm this week too) so I can teach my mom and my brother more about how to use it (I'm the EV "expert" in the family). I already find that I can't wait to get back into the MYP.

I can see the argument that the Tesla UI sucks for some people. But for others like me, it's perfectly fine. So I don't think you can just say it's crap for everyone. Like most things in life, not everyone is going to like the same things.
It is objectively bad in every measure. Full disclosure, I’m not a UI/UX designer but I work in the field.

So.

Nothing is intuitive. Not aesthetically nor in use.

The icons and type are too small / not legible enough to use quickly and safely when driving.

Nothing is laid out or arranged in a logical manner.

There is no hierarchy of features or consistent / unique design language - example, the battery / range icon is criminally relegated as is the speedo. It’s a CAR not an app.

Use of space is poor and lots of screen real estate is redundant / poorly prioritised.

Features are repeated.

Do I need to go on?

Last edited:
It is objectively bad in every measure. I work in the field.

Nothing is intuitive. At all.

The icons and type are too small / not legible enough to use quickly and sadly when driving.

There is no hierarchy of features or consistent / unique design language - the battery / range is criminally reduce as is the speedo. It’s a CAR not an app!

Use of space is poor and lots of screen real estate is redundant / poorly prioritised.

Features are repeated.

Do I need to go on?
I disagree with many of those points, but that's me personally. I don't doubt that it doesn't work for you.

What would the UI look like if it was arranged in a logical manner?

I see many complaints on these forums regarding the UI, but some of it, such as the lack of "logic" I feel like kind of depends on who you're asking. Personally I've found the UI to be fairly logically laid out and I really haven't had much of an issue finding or using stuff. This doesn't mean that it's logically laid out for everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people who found the Audi interface to be very logically laid out, but I don't find it intuitive at all. So I just think something like UI is not one size fits all. Perhaps the solution is to allow a lot more customization. I'm not sure if Tesla is ever going to be down with that though.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I disagree with many of those points, but that's me personally. I don't doubt that it doesn't work for you.

What would the UI look like if it was arranged in a logical manner?

I see many complaints on these forums regarding the UI, but some of it, such as the lack of "logic" I feel like kind of depends on who you're asking. Personally I've found the UI to be fairly logically laid out and I really haven't had much of an issue finding or using stuff. This doesn't mean that it's logically laid out for everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people who found the Audi interface to be very logically laid out, but I don't find it intuitive at all. So I just think something like UI is not one size fits all. Perhaps the solution is to allow a lot more customization. I'm not sure if Tesla is ever going to be down with that though.
There is a minimum level of design logic / best practice when setting out to execute the design of anything. Tesla has failed from the start in this.

It would be a very long post to try and show how it would be better but it falls down even on basic fundamentals and that’s not subjective. No professional in their right mind would give this a pass, let alone anything more.

I’m actually shocked it made it to production and people put up with it - hence this thread.

It is objectively bad in every measure. Full disclosure, I’m not a UI/UX designer but I work in the field.

So.

Nothing is intuitive. Not aesthetically nor in use.

The icons and type are too small / not legible enough to use quickly and safely when driving.

There is no hierarchy of features or consistent / unique design language - example, the battery / range icon is criminally relegated as is the speedo. It’s a CAR not an app.

Features are repeated.

Do I need to go on?
All of this. It’s just dreadful, and could be so much better with pretty much zero effort.

For me it’s the worst thing about the car, which has plenty of other flaws.

Apple CarPlay would massively improve the car.

At the moment I’m just counting the days until the MY is gone and I never have to put up with Tesla again. If the used car market (particularly Teslas) had stayed strong I would swap it tomorrow for a second hand Kia/Hyundai/Skoda. But it’s worth buttons (ironically).

I rarely use the UI while driving. Everything is automatic. When they enabled customization of the bottom row it got even better. I just put steering wheel heater, seat heaters, and defrosters there.

To be fair, every once in awhile I'll use the radio so I'll have to look away to pick a station. But compared to other cars I've owned, i find it OK. This car has a lot more features than my other cars, so it's hard to do a direct comparison, but for basic stuff I find it acceptable.

I don't think I've ever gotten frustrated with it.

I rarely use the UI while driving. Everything is automatic. When they enabled customization of the bottom row it got even better. I just put steering wheel heater, seat heaters, and defrosters there.

To be fair, every once in awhile I'll use the radio so I'll have to look away to pick a station. But compared to other cars I've owned, i find it OK. This car has a lot more features than my other cars, so it's hard to do a direct comparison, but for basic stuff I find it acceptable.

I don't think I've ever gotten frustrated with it.
It does all depend on what you’ve had before. My Tesla has vastly less features than my previous cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4 and Ratch
I have driven Teslas from the first week they were ever released (S) and now have a 2023 YLR and the UI/UX is trash across that whole span.
I started with Version 7.0. In my opinion, every update has made the UI worse, sometimes by a lot. I would return to 7.0 in a heartbeat if I could.
I was wondering what your first UI version was. Which was your favorite?