Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA UI / UX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm baffled by OP post. If I understand correctly, been driving the S since first release and the UI was trash back then, yet keeps buying a newer Tesla. :rolleyes: Help me understand what I am not getting right I had a an S for one week
I'm baffled by OP post. If I understand correctly, been driving the S since first release and the UI was trash back then, yet keeps buying a newer Tesla. :rolleyes: Help me understand what I am not getting right.
Nope.

As I said, I had an S for a few weeks at launch. Now I have a Y and the UI/UX has not moved on in all those years inbetween.

CarPlay would be amazing but will never happen.

It needs a full and complete redesign not tweaks / updates.

Reactions: DeeDeeCee
Designed by 12 year olds, for 12 year olds. They think they know tech, and don't drive.
Really no other logical reason it's so poorly done. My 2013 Model S UI was better.
If only it was easy enough to use for 12 year olds lol.

But you hit nail on the head - designed by software geeks for themselves.

If you're going to focus 99% of your dash and functions into one touchscreen, it MUST work for everyone on the planet, not just the dev group at Fremont!

It always baffles me how people portray their opinions as fact. By no means would I say the UI is the best thing out there; however, I have no issue with it at all. I have had a 2015 S, 2021 3, and 2022 Y, I have had almost every iteration of the UI since 2015. I have owned Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Chrysler, Lincoln, Audi, and Nissan, I have driven multiple EVs, including the Mach E, Leaf, E-tron, Lightning, Taycan, R1T, Ioniq 5, so I have had experience with many different companies,...ALL of them could be improved, and Tesla is no different, but to state Tesla's UI/UX is subjectively awful is hyperbole.
Your opinion is valuable, and what makes forums such as these good, but you cannot force your opinion on others and tell them that it's fact.

It always baffles me how people portray their opinions as fact. By no means would I say the UI is the best thing out there; however, I have no issue with it at all. I have had a 2015 S, 2021 3, and 2022 Y, I have had almost every iteration of the UI since 2015. I have owned Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Chrysler, Lincoln, Audi, and Nissan, I have driven multiple EVs, including the Mach E, Leaf, E-tron, Lightning, Taycan, R1T, Ioniq 5, so I have had experience with many different companies,...ALL of them could be improved, and Tesla is no different, but to state Tesla's UI/UX is subjectively awful is hyperbole.
Your opinion is valuable, and what makes forums such as these good, but you cannot force your opinion on others and tell them that it's fact.
I agree. It's like there are many people who hate the Tesla UI and think it's garbage, so therefore EVERYONE has to think it's garbage too.

The OP asked for "honest" opinions on the UI, and my "honest" opinion is that I've never had an issue with the Tesla UI and quite enjoy using it. Am I wrong to think that I like something for myself???

Seems like some people have a difficult time understanding that different people have different preferences/way of thinking/etc. I've read tons of complaints on the Tesla UI on these forums, and I can even see why they hate it. But I simply don't share their issues with it.

It’s OBJECTIVELY trash buddy. There are formalised ways to test and confirm if it’s any good and as I and others have said, it would not be approved as a successful effort or even above average, by any professional design and interface consultancy or institution on the planet. Not a single one.

You don’t even need to use it to know this - just a few minutes LOOKING at it confirms it’s not been designed by a process or team fit for the purpose - a fully featured interface for MOTORISTS spanning a large and diverse demographic.

I’m going on about it because it’s such a missed opportunity and if sorted, would make these cars close to perfect.

I feel like your definition of trash differs quite a bit. flat design, which I believe your issue is with, rather than the Tesla UI itself. Also, saying there has not been a change since 2012 is factually incorrect. To You, maybe you feel there hasn't been a change. Looking at the original UI vs the latest V11 UI there is clearly much changed.

1672873364349.png
1672873439610.png

From my experience, Tesla's UI is one of the largest selling points of the vehicle. It's snappy, limits information overload, and more. Maybe you like buttons, and your count other cars having physical buttons in the UX experience as a big selling point. If that's the case, then you're gonna hate owning a Tesla.

FWIW, no, nothing is objectively bad about UX unless the functionality is broken. Working in UX, it's about feeling and emotion when using it, both of which are soft metrics and can only be quantified in large data pools.

It’s OBJECTIVELY trash
It's like you're confusing objective with subjective. It's really fine to have a negative subjective opinion about something. Nobody's going to tell you that you actually do like when you claim you don't. You ask people for their honest opinions, and then tell people they're wrong who say they like it. I just don't get the need to be so vehement about your opinion being objective fact.

I personally love the UI. Am I wrong to like it? No. Is it objectively good? I have no idea nor do I really care. I don't think it's the kind of the that's easily objectively measured, at least not by one person. Things like "nothing is intuitive" are simply not objective. For example, I believe most things are intuitive. I don't know if you're looking for validation of your opinion or just trying to get people riled up.

You also say you won't settle for a 7/10 car when it could be a 9+/10. ...haven't you indeed settled for the car, or did you sell it?

Last edited:
It's like you're confusing objective with subjective. It's really fine to have a negative subjective opinion about something. Nobody's going to tell you that you actually do like when you claim you don't. You ask people for their honest opinions, and then tell people they're wrong who say they like it. I just don't get the need to be so vehement about your opinion being objective fact.

I personally love the UI. Am I wrong to like it? No. Is it objectively good? I have no idea nor do I really care. I don't think it's the kind of the that's easily objectively measured, at least not by one person. I don't know if you're looking for validation of your opinion or just trying to get people riled up.

It is factually poor. That is my objective opinion as I’m not a fanboy and stems from cold a detached analysis. I’ve also showed it experienced professional UI / IX designers who wrote it off in minutes.

So you’re not wrong to like it but you are wrong to say it’s good. It isn’t.

Reactions: Les Mann
I feel like your definition of trash differs quite a bit. flat design, which I believe your issue is with, rather than the Tesla UI itself. Also, saying there has not been a change since 2012 is factually incorrect. To You, maybe you feel there hasn't been a change. Looking at the original UI vs the latest V11 UI there is clearly much changed.

View attachment 892356View attachment 892357

From my experience, Tesla's UI is one of the largest selling points of the vehicle. It's snappy, limits information overload, and more. Maybe you like buttons, and your count other cars having physical buttons in the UX experience as a big selling point. If that's the case, then you're gonna hate owning a Tesla.

FWIW, no, nothing is objectively bad about UX unless the functionality is broken. Working in UX, it's about feeling and emotion when using it, both of which are soft metrics and can only be quantified in large data pools.
This is just proves my point. You think these two versions are different. They’re not.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
Fine, I'll be less "lazy" which used in the sentence you wrote is a contradiction in itself, but that is to be expected given the following:

"Wondering what owners honestly, objectively think of this?"
No, you are setting everyone up so you can go on a rant.

"Every part of it is amateurish."
"It’s easily the worst interface of any I’ve used in a car, gas or EV."
Ok, we got your point. Is there a need to be so repetitive?

"Full disclosure, I’m not a UI/UX designer but I work in the field."
Oh thanks for clarifying, a few of us thought otherwise.

"it falls down even on basic fundamentals and that’s not subjective"
Please google subjective vs. objective and then read it 100 times.

"I had an S for a few weeks at launch. Now I have a Y and the UI/UX has not moved on in all those years inbetween."
Objectively false. Please see above comment for definition of objective.

"It’s OBJECTIVELY trash buddy."
"That is my objective opinion as I’m not a fanboy"
"So you’re not wrong to like it but you are wrong to say it’s good."

Instigate conflict? Check
Show hostility? Check
Bait people hoping for an argument? Check

Yep, you're a troll.

Oh, and drove a launch S for a few weeks but joined this forum two weeks ago to do nothing but complain about Teslas. Totally believable.