Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla UI vs Apple CarPlay vs Android Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love how my iphone 13 under Bluetooth turns my volume up to 10 nearly every time I am backing out of my garage. It makes my iphone music sound so much better! :mad:

For some reason, the volume stays at the previous level with iphone Apple CarPlay integration on my Ford and with my Alpine stereo in my MB Sprinter van.

The Tesla UI sucks for podcasts. Early on I was trying to use the default streaming app on the Tesla for podcasts. It couldn't do something as simple as resume playing where you left off. It would start at the beginning again. Arrgh.

Use Spotify they said. I began paying for Spotify. It's much better, but I can't add a paid podcast that I subscribe to, no way to add a custom URL. There are bugs with the Spotify implementation on Tesla UI. Sometimes it will play a different episode than what is displayed. A few times it has become unresponsive. Logging out and back in to Spotify solves it.

I like Tesla's nav because of the massive screen and the satellite view. But, Apple maps gives three choices of routes for most destinations. I like being able to pick which one. Tesla picks one and often it's not the most ideal route.

People upgrade their mobile phone every couple of years, getting a new CPU/GPU and the latest OS, services & design paired with latest HW. Any car not projecting UI from the mobile will end up looking outdated in 3-4 years from the purchase.

Furthermore, car manufacturer specific app stores would have little chance of competing with Android and iOS for the developer time: thus no apps without Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. Thus there are no apps on Tesla. With apps, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto will always be superior in functionality.

Reactions: lifjoy and roc-noc
I love how my iphone 13 under Bluetooth turns my volume up to 10 nearly every time I am backing out of my garage. It makes my iphone music sound so much better! :mad:

For some reason, the volume stays at the previous level with iphone Apple CarPlay integration on my Ford and with my Alpine stereo in my MB Sprinter van.
BTW This problem was finally fixed about 2 months ago. I am no longer getting blasted with volume 10 on my Tesla. Not sure if Apple fixed it or Tesla fixed it but I am no longer complaining about this issue.

Hello! Recently in the Model X Waiting Room many users began to express some strong opinions one way or another on their preference of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I wanted to start a new thread focused on this topic.

My opinion, there are certainly some apps that have advantages over Tesla's UI but ultimately Tesla's UI performs these functions or does them better. For the one-off use cases such as an app like SoundCloud, Zoom, AppleMusic, etc you can always connect your phone via Bluetooth and do not necessarily need or benefit from a native app in the car.

What are your thoughts?
I added Apple CarPlay to my model y a few weeks ago via a console behind steering wheel. The system supports wireless anderoid auto too although advertising says only wired is supported. Link to thread with screenshot is below. Eventually I’ll change to a yoke steering wheel. My main reason was I like the 3D map view in Apple Maps. As well as ability to have more apps seemingly integrated in to car. My favorite feature is that CarPlay / iPhone remembers where I paused media. Most Tesla integrations will forget the pause point if you switch apps and sometimes when switching to new media in the app.

Reactions: ALSETJC and roc-noc