Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla UI vs Others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Risk here is 'maybe' an unpopular take so pls remember it's just an opinion...
  1. Driving a Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE for a couple days and realizing that although I mildly dislike having soooo many buttons my big takeaway is that the UI is actually much friendlier than my Model Y :oops:
  2. I realized that whenever I need to access something in my Tesla I experience a fleeting anxiety as to a) where to find it at all and/or b) have they moved it again?
  3. Tesla warning beeps are guaranteed to shock, I mean they could send a few volts through the steering wheel and it would probably be more pleasant. Learn from the competition with those semi-muted tones.
  4. Voice recognition needs to be improved. Where it works perfectly in the Toyota, my Tesla relatively often has problems with my transatlantic accent.
  5. Selecting audio is exponentially easier on the Toyota. Yes, having Tesla audio that automatically mutes when you open the door is nice, but does it really compensate for the other complications?
  6. Toyota includes a WiFi hotspot, it's not difficult.
  7. Heads-Up display is just awesome; shame it's on a much cheaper Toyota and not available on Tesla.

I've been driving Tesla for 12 years now and I don't plan to switch away from full electric; but experience from a couple days driving tells me that Tesla needs to improve their UI and feature set. As other auto manufacturers actually start to (slowly) move to full electric and have some sort of charging infrastructure, Tesla will need to up their game.

You formulate everything nice and friendly and even informative. Although I don't recognize much, I realize that most things are 100% personal taste.

01 - can't compare
02 - never had any problem
03 - a warning should shoc :)
04 - almost perfect (english and dutch)
05 - don't really understand the problem. Which complications?
06 - I don't need a hotspot, unlimited data is quite common in The netherlands, so everybody in my family has this;
07 - could indeed be an advantage. Never rode with an HUD, but I can imagine it's pleasant. Problem is: EM wants to go totally driverless and doesn't invest much in driver aids... By principle...

I love the minimal interior of my Model 3, but I do maintain that Tesla went about ~10% too far with the removal of physical controls. Unfortunately that ~10% can add a tone of inconvenience/annoyance (wiper controls, etc). The V11 UI dumpster fire has also really not helped.
next thing you will be suggesting we should just be able to open our glove boxes willy nilly without a computer

Risk here is 'maybe' an unpopular take so pls remember it's just an opinion...
  1. Driving a Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE for a couple days and realizing that although I mildly dislike having soooo many buttons my big takeaway is that the UI is actually much friendlier than my Model Y :oops:
  2. I realized that whenever I need to access something in my Tesla I experience a fleeting anxiety as to a) where to find it at all and/or b) have they moved it again?
  3. Tesla warning beeps are guaranteed to shock, I mean they could send a few volts through the steering wheel and it would probably be more pleasant. Learn from the competition with those semi-muted tones.
  4. Voice recognition needs to be improved. Where it works perfectly in the Toyota, my Tesla relatively often has problems with my transatlantic accent.
  5. Selecting audio is exponentially easier on the Toyota. Yes, having Tesla audio that automatically mutes when you open the door is nice, but does it really compensate for the other complications?
  6. Toyota includes a WiFi hotspot, it's not difficult.
  7. Heads-Up display is just awesome; shame it's on a much cheaper Toyota and not available on Tesla.

I've been driving Tesla for 12 years now and I don't plan to switch away from full electric; but experience from a couple days driving tells me that Tesla needs to improve their UI and feature set. As other auto manufacturers actually start to (slowly) move to full electric and have some sort of charging infrastructure, Tesla will need to up their game.
Sounds like you should put your name down for a bz4X or Lexus RZ450e.

As for your points, my personal experience are:
1. I've never driven a Camry Hybrid, but since getting into my MYP I've driven a few ICE and my wife's C40 that have more buttons. I haven't found myself longing for them in my MYP.

2. With both V10 and V11 I got acquainted with where all the functions are in short order and don't think I've had an issue locating what I'm trying to access.

3. I actually appreciate loud warning beeps. Otherwise I might ignore them and miss what the car is trying to warn me about.

4. I don't use voice recognition much in any car I've owned, so I don't know if Tesla is better or worse than others. What few times I've used it, it seems to recognize my voice well enough.

5. I haven't really had an issue with audio selection, but I mostly use Bluetooth or Tidal, so I have them on the launcher. If I want to use the USB I use voice command (so it plays from where it left off last time) and if I want to listen to local sports broadcast I click the FM icon from the launcher menu.

6. I have hotspot on my phone that I never use, so it isn't something I need/want the car to have.

7. I love the idea of HUD, but I've driven my mom's Volvo XC60 and my wife's previous Mazda CX-5 with HUD, and I found myself never looking at it. I also wear polarized sunglasses during the day most of the time, so that makes the HUD harder to see as well. I would certainly want HUD in Tesla if possible, but I've realized that it's far from a must have for me.

I think with the competition already arriving, Tesla does need to up their game in every aspect. But as it currently stands, for me it still works as well or better compared to what legacy automakers offer now.

Nice conversation starter. I find it easy to connect with the v11 UI (I'm a new owner), so my take is different, but I get where you're coming from. No doubt there's room for improvement, but I've only had the MYLR for two months, so I'm still at a phase where I'm focusing on all it does well, rather than what it can't do.

1. I'm totally into the minimalist vibe and enjoy focusing on the road with no distractions in front of me. I'm 99% auto temp/wipers/lights and my main screen functions (other than the map) are music, looking at the Trip Card now and then to check my Wh/mi, and the Energy graph on long trips, for which I'm impressed at the accuracy of charge remaining at my destination.

2. I'm sure that I'll have some of those moments when v12 rolls out and I have to re-learn how to get to my common screens/functions.

3. Have you tried "Joe Mode" to quiet the beeps?

4. Accent/dialect settings would be cool to add in addition to Language settings.

5. It would be nice to rearrange titles/favorites on Streaming, TuneIn and FM radio, but other than that, it's fine with me.

6. I suppose they could add the hotspot at an additional cost to cover the increased bandwidth.

7. I find that having the speed and main controls in my peripheral vision is easier to maintain concentration on the road than having to look down. Again, I really like the minimalism and being able to focus on the road.

A couple of improvements that I hope they will address are:

a) Being able to disable the headlight auto-brighness in Auto-Pilot.
b) Have a chime option for navigation when a turn comes up instead of just voice volume and mute.