Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla UK T0 Tyre Directive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% agree. Unless you are buying all 4 new tyres, Costco is too much hassle, they have some very weird holier than thou mentality that I just don't get.

The last time I bought new tyres from Costco it was for my Golf GTI (front wheel drive) and I only needed one pair of tyres. All four tyres (Pilot Sport 2) had been swapped at the same time previously, and while the rears still had plenty of tread, the fronts were heading towards illegal (the GTI was brutal on the fronts, they lasted half as long as the rears). Costco refused to put the new tyres on the front , because "we're only allowed to put the best tyres on the rear, just doing my job guv". I kind of had no choice because I was already there (hour there and back), but that was the last time I bought tyres off Costco. Next time was Tyres on the Drive and it was great!!
Yes pretty much a similar experience, the model 3 wore the rear tyres quicker so I had replaced them 6 months prior and just wanted the fronts doing, their response was we have to do all 4, despite me asking them twice about just having the 2 done. Their mistake was they didn't check the car before agreeing, but the whole "I could lose my job" line came out and wasn't getting anywhere.

The only way in which to avoid this issue with Costco is if you take the car in and get them to look at the car first, then they can't claim any surprises, for many this maybe a journey of a few hours hence adding to the overall cost.

Only one I can find which matches the Tesla spec exactly is Goodyear Vector 4Seasons. (not TO)
I've done a lot of checking online and it's not even a T0 issue, the Goodyear are nowhere near the load requirements (100 vs 104) or speed (W vs Y).

The only matching one I've found is 'Vredestein Quatrac' (not T0 but similar to OEMs in load & speed) but I can't say I've even heard of that brand before...

It seems that there are no options on the market if ones want good all seasons to head to the alps in the winter without having to buy a new set of wheels and swap every 6 months...

Reactions: pow216
As someone who lives in the South but occasionally goes to the mountains, Winters are not justified, but given the tremendous improvements in All Seasons in the past few years, they've been a great all-rounder for me. I'm sad there is simply nothing existing in the market (yet?) for MYs standard alloys.. Let's hope somehow more alternatives will become available soon...

As someone who lives in the South but occasionally goes to the mountains, Winters are not justified, but given the tremendous improvements in All Seasons in the past few years, they've been a great all-rounder for me. I'm sad there is simply nothing existing in the market (yet?) for MYs standard alloys.. Let's hope somehow more alternatives will become available soon...
I have just looked on the Michelin website and they still recommend the Crossclimate 2 for MS 85D. Mind you that was Michelin UK and liability issues might be different in other countries. You can always check the Michelin website from your own country. After all, Michelin must take responsibility for the tyres they make.

@dakaix - I assume there was no resolution to the 'Tesla Directive' Costco referred you to way back?
Apologies, I forgot to come back and update this thread! I had no response from my enquiries via Tesla, not that I expected to.

However the Costco branch & tyre shop managers did do an investigation (which took a week or so) and found there was a general misconception of the rules amongst their fitters. In the end they confirmed that whilst it wasn't recommended they were happy to fit non-T0 tyres so long as the customer was aware of that they weren't T0 and that they may be more audible as a result.

Overall the best response I suppose I could've expected, but was glad to see the local Costco management team taking it seriously as well!

Apologies, I forgot to come back and update this thread! I had no response from my enquiries via Tesla, not that I expected to.

However the Costco branch & tyre shop managers did do an investigation (which took a week or so) and found there was a general misconception of the rules amongst their fitters. In the end they confirmed that whilst it wasn't recommended they were happy to fit non-T0 tyres so long as the customer was aware of that they weren't T0 and that they may be more audible as a result.

Overall the best response I suppose I could've expected, but was glad to see the local Costco management team taking it seriously as well!
i mean, it's great that they managed to arrive to common sense.

like my local kwik fit did the check on tires (one was leaking) and decided to replace only 1 rear tyre on the bmw I had (company car...) - when I saw that that it was not only a single tyre replaced, but it was also completely different type of tyre (different thread, ratings for breaking/wet/audio etc, I had lik this conversation:
- WTF?
- "all within specs mate" ,- was his answer.
- Would you do this bs on your own car?! - I asked him again
- "Yes of course" - was his answer.
"but of course" I thought..

took couple of calls to Arval in order to sort it out properly :D

sometimes it looks like the fitter who do such work are the dumbest people on earth. or just deliberatly misleading customers

I came across this issue but described to me today by Halfords MoT tester as a 'Tesla Approved' tyres.

I've been reading through this thread but can't see specifically what that or "T0" is actually defined as or means in practice.

So I called tesla (UK) support with a first question:
"Exactly what does 'Tesla Approved' mean in relation to tyres.?"

Follow up questions
a) "Does it refer to a marketing partnership or a specific specification?".
b) "Is it a recommendation or a standard specification required for warranty or other purposes?"
c) "If it's a specification, what is that specification, exactly (so that I can see which tyres meet that specification?"
d) "Which specific tyres are 'Approved' for Model 3 SR+ 2019?".
e) "Since the factory tyre choice (Michelin PS4) that shipped with my 2019 model, have any newer / superior / higher spec / more advanced tyres (e.g. Michelin Primacy 4+, or e.Primacy been tested or 'approved' by Tesla or fitted to other model 3 or other models?"

First line 'support' couldn't answer any of the questions.

Second line said it's a marketing partnership AND a specification, but didn't know what the specification was.
He said it was recommendation that didn't affect any warranty or anything else.
He said the only Approved tyre for the Model 3 SR+ 2019 was the ones it came shipped with from the factory.
On the last question he said "Google it."

Anybody here have any better knowledge than Tesla UK 'support?

In practice, so far what it's mean for me is that Halfords (and KwickFit) have refused to fit Primacy 4+, or e.Primacy (both of which have apparently better grip and lower rolling resistance). Instead, Halfords quoted me 4x 235/45ZR18 98Y XL PILOT SPORT 4 T0 Efficiency:B, Grip:B, Noise dB:71 at £307.99 each.

I came across this issue but described to me today by Halfords MoT tester as a 'Tesla Approved' tyres.

I've been reading through this thread but can't see specifically what that or "T0" is actually defined as or means in practice.

Follow up questions
b) "Is it a recommendation or a standard specification required for warranty or other purposes?"
c) "If it's a specification, what is that specification, exactly (so that I can see which tyres meet that specification?"
e) "Since the factory tyre choice (Michelin PS4) that shipped with my 2019 model, have any newer / superior / higher spec / more advanced tyres (e.g. Michelin Primacy 4+, or e.Primacy been tested or 'approved' by Tesla or fitted to other model 3 or other models?"

Second line said it's a marketing partnership AND a specification, but didn't know what the specification was.
He said the only Approved tyre for the Model 3 SR+ 2019 was the ones it came shipped with from the factory.

In practice, so far what it's mean for me is that Halfords (and KwickFit) have refused to fit Primacy 4+, or e.Primacy (both of which have apparently better grip and lower rolling resistance). Instead, Halfords quoted me 4x 235/45ZR18 98Y XL PILOT SPORT 4 T0 Efficiency:B, Grip:B, Noise dB:71 at £307.99 each.
do not know about halfords or kwikfit.

But Costco had absolutely no issue to quote and fit Michelin CrossClimate 2 XL

Follow up questions

If you stick to original sizing, speed rating and load rating you are fine with alternative brands. There may be tiny differences in road noise absorption, or rolling resistance but in my opinion these should not put you off from trying other premium tyres with good reviews ... heck, Tesla fits other tyres from what the earlier cars were on.

Reactions: Sean.
marketing partnership
There is your answer.

I handed my Lease back in August and the person checking and picking up my car marked it as "non compliant" on the Tyres!

I questioned this as the tyres meet every number loading etc and the manual (2021 version) even tells you these numbers.

He said i needed T0 tyres as recommended by Tesla

I told him Bollocks (in a nice way)! as they match the original specification and the Speed and load numbers are equal or better than the OEMs. So the tyres ARE complaint. (note - these "non" OEM tyres did around 40k miles with 5mm still left on the tread!) - Also the PS4 were out of stock everywhere.

Here is the extract from the Tesla manual dated 2021 (it was around this time when i changed my Tyres)

1694701096685.png

The new manual states this:

1694701364680.png

So the lease company should not apply a new manual to an older car.

Anyway i didn't pay for new "Compliant" tyres.

Reactions: Adopado