Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ukraine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In amongst all those shocking pictures coming from Ukraine this morning was one showing traffic jams heading out of Kyiv. There, in the middle, was a white Tesla Model 3. I don't know why, it just seemed to bring it home that one moment you could be fussing about the latest update and the next, your Model 3 is being used to escape from an invader. We Tesla drivers are a like-minded bunch - wherever we come from. My thoughts are with our friends in Ukraine this morning.

Last edited:
In amongst all those shocking pictures coming from Ukraine this morning was one showing traffic jams heading out of Kyiv. There, in the middle, was a white Tesla Model 3. I don't know why, it just seemed to bring it home that one moment you could be fussing about the latest update and the next, your Model 3 is being used to escape from an invader. We Tesla drivers are a like-minded bunch - wherever we come from. My thoughts are with our friends in Ukraine this morning.
Quite.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 11.15.37.png

just another proof that Putin is psychopath
I wish it was that simple. Many of the so-called leaders are self-aggrandising toss-pots who don't believe that rules apply to them. Putin has read the situation well with no-one prepared to stand up to him and play brinkmanship. He has a strong ally in China and a NATO that hasn't kept up with it’s spending and preparation and a US that isn't prepared to commit, particularly when China could easily take the opportunity to follow suit and 'reclaim' Taiwan or larger chunks of the South China seas. I would also be very worried about what other spheres are being affected while attention is diverted to Ukraine - Russian influence in the Middle East, China in Afghanistan and North Korea and concerted cyberattacks.

I wish it was that simple. Many of the so-called leaders are self-aggrandising toss-pots who don't believe that rules apply to them. Putin has read the situation well with no-one prepared to stand up to him and play brinkmanship. He has a strong ally in China and a NATO that hasn't kept up with it’s spending and preparation and a US that isn't prepared to commit, particularly when China could easily take the opportunity to follow suit and 'reclaim' Taiwan or larger chunks of the South China seas. I would also be very worried about what other spheres are being affected while attention is diverted to Ukraine - Russian influence in the Middle East, China in Afghanistan and North Korea and concerted cyberattacks.
sorry, but there's nothing difficult here. Putin a psychopath, paranoid, with one idea to carve his name in history books, crying that Soviet Union collapsed. that's the bloody fact.

all other things you mentioned here - derivatives from the current situation.

Russia has ALWAYS been an aggressor. Was it during SU times, or was it after 1991 - always the same. only people in west had some-sort of illusion that things change there.

We have been with my Tesla 3 SR+ twice to Zhaporizhija Ukraine, 5600 km round trip from Belgium.
There are no SuC beyond the Polish border but Yasno has a network of 50 kW ABB loaders that you can use
Still have family over there but they're safe for the moment.
Our niece is 30 km away from Kyiv with friends, as soon that she can reach Lviv we will drive to Poland and pick her up.

It’s shocking what Russia is doing. There was so much optimism in the days of perestroika and glasnost, but Putin’s relentless campaign to destroy democracy and return Russia to a pariah state beyond international law seems unstoppable. It’s heartbreaking seeing a modern European state like Ukraine, with infrastructure and culture like our own, being shelled and bombed by its former friend and neighbour.

I support economic sanctions against repressive regimes..just a tad incongruous if you own a car made in China..
As for those European countries that have failed to provide the expected 2% GDP into the NATO pot - perhaps they'll rethink..
I cant really fathom your your argument other than "I" must have the last word... There was no NATO when the 1st or second world war happened and I cant recall how much Iraque and Afghanistan paid into any pot. Perhaps you should rethink what is a stake here but then again perhaps not!

I cant really fathom your your argument other than "I" must have the last word... There was no NATO when the 1st or second world war happened and I cant recall how much Iraque and Afghanistan paid into any pot. Perhaps you should rethink what is a stake here but then again perhaps not!
??? What's your point? Look at the history and reason NATO was formed. Iraq and Afghanistan have nothing to do with it, NATO members were supposed to be contributing 2% GDP to it's coffers but notable that Germany amongst others has failed in that obligation, although most of the newer members do approach that funding. Ukraine isn't a member and one of Putin's stated concerns is that it might become so. NATO has no obligation to Ukraine but NATO is also a way for the US to have political sway in Europe and without US support NATO is toothless. As for WW1 & 2 they were expansionist aims that were ultimately triggered by specific acts that caused the allies to react - invasion in the case of WW2 if you wish to draw parallels.

??? What's your point?...
Talk is cheap for the speaker but it might be costly for those who listened.

The problem with the West leaders with the US as the main character is they promote Democracy and Freedom and those who listened thought that the US would support the cause.

South Vietnam listened to the US’ anti-communist rhetorics and fought and died for the anti-communist cause when the US itself went to the communist leaders, the Soviets, and red China, to undermine that cause. We knew what happened in 1975: The US dropped South Vietnam like a rock then embraced the Soviet and red China with diplomatic normalization.

The young Chinese students were aspired by the Western’s call for Democracy and Freedom so they protestested in Tiananmen Square in 1989 and thought the West would protect them but it became a massacre with no help from the US.

In 1991, the Kurds were answering the call from President George Herbert Walker Bush to start an uprising against Saddam Hussein but the US never came to their aids and they were slaughtered.

Hong Kong pro-democracy demonstrators thought they had US support in 2019 so they were wearing and displaying American flags in the protests against China’s rules. However, the US never help those protesters as they were arrested.
In 2021, The US also dropped Aghanistans like a rock as they sided with the US to fight against the Taliban.

The US wants to squeeze Russia by expanding NATO: In 2008, Georgia fell to the sweet talk and asked to join and thought the US would protect them. But no! The US watched Russia invade Georgia and still occupied 20% of the country today.

Ukraine was encouraged by the US support to join NATO so it dismissed Russia’s warnings and the US watched Russia take the Crimean Peninsula from Ukraine in 2014.

In 2022, even today, as Russia is in the capital, Ukraine still wants to join NATO thinking that NATO, the West, the US would save them the same way the US had its back for South Vietnam, Tiananmen Square, Kurds, the Hong Kong Pro-democracy, Georgia and Crimea…

I understand that Democracy and Freedom are ideal, but unless the US is willing to send its troops to die the way they did in South Vietnam and Afghanistan, it’s just an idea.

Reactions: Js1977

The problem with the West leaders with the US as the main character is they promote Democracy and Freedom and those who listened thought that the US would support the cause.

South Vietnam listened to the US’ anti-communist rhetorics and fought and died for the anti-communist cause when the US itself went to the communist leaders, the Soviets, and red China, to undermine that cause. We knew what happened in 1975: The US dropped South Vietnam like a rock then embraced the Soviet and red China with diplomatic normalization.

The young Chinese students were aspired by the Western’s call for Democracy and Freedom so they protestested in Tiananmen Square in 1989 and thought the West would protect them but it became a massacre with no help from the US.

In 1991, the Kurds were answering the call from President George Herbert Walker Bush to start an uprising against Saddam Hussein but the US never came to their aids and they were slaughtered.

Hong Kong pro-democracy demonstrators thought they had US support in 2019 so they were wearing and displaying American flags in the protests against China’s rules. However, the US never help those protesters as they were arrested.
In 2021, The US also dropped Aghanistans like a rock as they sided with the US to fight against the Taliban.

The US wants to squeeze Russia by expanding NATO: In 2008, Georgia fell to the sweet talk and asked to join and thought the US would protect them. But no! The US watched Russia invade Georgia and still occupied 20% of the country today.

Ukraine was encouraged by the US support to join NATO so it dismissed Russia’s warnings and the US watched Russia take the Crimean Peninsula from Ukraine in 2014.

In 2022, even today, as Russia is in the capital, Ukraine still wants to join NATO thinking that NATO, the West, the US would save them the same way the US had its back for South Vietnam, Tiananmen Square, Kurds, the Hong Kong Pro-democracy, Georgia and Crimea…

I understand that Democracy and Freedom are ideal, but unless the US is willing to send its troops to die the way they did in South Vietnam and Afghanistan, it’s just an idea.
Healthy debate but a little off point on tesla motors club forum.

Healthy debate but a little off point on tesla motors club forum.
The point is: The world is not perfect, so how Tesla would conduct in an imperfect world?

Encouraging miscalculated and failed uprisings might not be the best for commerce such as the West encouraging Ukraine to rise up against the evil Russia when they don’t have the NATO protection or Tesla tweeting in support of the Canadian truckers to block transportation for the freedom from vaccination.

Reactions: Js1977

And UK sell weapons to everybody !

Moderator comment:

I doubt anyone on here would have anything but complete sympathy for the plight of the Ukraine

Side debates about the role of NATO, China and the morality of buying cars made there and associated defence antics, is, if anything, just diluting the otherwise unanimous support for the people of the country. The forum isn't intended for such political debate and there is an off topic area where posts would ordinarily get moved, but I'll leave them be and just close the thread to further comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.