Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla UMC Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a KHONS adjustable portable EVSE for my Nissan Leaf. It allows me to change between 12A, 16A, 20A, and 32A, regardless of input voltage. I live in a small apartment, and sometimes use the range oven 240V outlet and a burly 6 gauge 8' 14-50 extension chord for charging since its right next to the inside garage door. Ghetto, I know... I usually only use it for emergencies, since its a pain in the butt to pull out the stove. I would install a 14-50 in the garage, but the ancient Sylvania breaker box would need to be upgraded, and Im not going to be renting the place forever...

I also like to use the 16A setting on known good 20A 110v circuits, such as at work or my 110v dedicated circuit in the garage.

I know the Tesla has amperage selection built into the touchscreen. But does it support 16A at 110v? Also, will I need to keep my EVSE if I want to continue to charge at 240V at home? Is there some sort of adapter that I can use on the standard UMC that will make it work on a 14-50 outlet? Or do I have to buy a separate UMC for 14-50 use?

I wonder if there's a version of the "Dryer Buddy" that could handle the switching between the stove and car? They're usually for the -30 plugs (vs -50), so check the actual current rating, not just what the plug style is.

As for the 120v outlets, Tesla does make an adapter for the UMC to allow for 16 amp charging. Look for a "5-20" adapter. By using the proper adapter, the car will automatically adjust its maximum current draw.

I see. Well it may just be cheaper and easier to stick with what I have and just use the included J1772 to Tesla adapter instead of spending $65 a pop for adapters. I dont see a real advantage to switching over to the UMC if my adjustable EVSE already covers all my bases and is compatible with the Tesla.

Buy the 5-20 UMC adaptor available at the tesla web store, it's just $45 and designed for your 20A 110V outlet.

Assuming your leaf EVSE is J1772, you can plug it into your tesla and it will auto-detect the max amp advertised by the EVSE so you will not have to adjust anything on the screen.