Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla unable to resolve issue with USB port (dashcam), what now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having the "UI_A111" error since i took delivery of my car about 4 weeks ago. Tesla first thought it was the USB stick itself but replacing the usb stick did not solve the problem. They than had me wait 2 weeks to replace the glove box because they thought it was the USB port... this also did not solve the problem. My dash cam works but is a bit slower when uploading saved files. my question is.. what happens if Tesla can't fix this problem? Would they do a buy back or get me into a new vehicle? would i be stuck with this car? I assume this would kill the resale value down the line. I have less than 500 miles on my car and I am a bit frustrated that they can't give me a definite answer on whats wrong. has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you resolve it?

I also tried to samsung SSD recommended on here but the error message remains.

Attachments

• IMG_4896.jpg
    IMG_4896.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG-3212.jpg
    IMG-3212.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 148
I had this issue with my SanDisk extreme ssd portable drive. I changed the cable and it worked for 2-3 weeks and I got the error that ‘dashcam is unavailable. Check usb drive’. I scheduled a mobile service and they called me asking me to reformat the drive and saying it doesn’t work on the external ssd drive. They said it only works w the USB 2.0 usb stick. I tried the original usb stick that it came with the car. So far, it has been about 2 days, it works ok.

What appears to be left (my own opinion; I'm not Tesla service) would be any USB cabling / connectors and the computer module it goes to. Keep on with Tesla service. They should eventually figure it out.
I’m supposed to get more information by next week. SA stated I may need a new cpu. I’m not too keen on replacing the cpu.. not sure where it is located but when they replaced my glove box I now have a rattle in that area! :( … On the bright side my sa has been great and kept me in the loop the whole time.

If it's any help, I had my FSD computer swapped out in my driveway a couple of years ago by mobile service. It only took the tech about 90 minutes and that included a software download and install. Not sure where you are ("Orange" can be CA or opposite side of the country) but I've had great mobile service.

I’m supposed to get more information by next week. SA stated I may need a new cpu. I’m not too keen on replacing the cpu.. not sure where it is located but when they replaced my glove box I now have a rattle in that area! :( … On the bright side my sa has been great and kept me in the loop the whole time.
The computer is right behind the glove box. You can see it here with someone replacing the modem:
You can point out the rattle and have them address in the same visit if they get around to doing it. It would help if you can isolate it to the exact location and demonstrate it to whoever is signing you in. Otherwise the tech may not bother to spend much time to find it and just say it doesn't exist.

Reactions: android04
If it's any help, I had my FSD computer swapped out in my driveway a couple of years ago by mobile service. It only took the tech about 90 minutes and that included a software download and install. Not sure where you are ("Orange" can be CA or opposite side of the country) but I've had great mobile service.
I am located in oc, ca. My service center has been great to me they have been doing everything they can to resolve the problem. I’m more concerned tesla can’t figure out the problem… I’m really hoping the engineers can get back to my sa soon. If tesla is unable to resolve the problem should I pursue a buy back? Would I win? We love our car and that would be a last resort for us.

I think that in order to have Tesla do a buy-back your car would have to fall under the "lemon law". That's a warranty coverage issue that can't be solved in several (3? 4?) attempts. I would think that Tesla would do almost anything to avoid that, but it's just my opinion. Keep documentation on all of your service visits and the resulting response by the service department. You can certainly drop hints at your service appointments about your intention to follow through with a lemon return/rejection if things don't go your way but I subscribe to the philosophy that that course of action should not be announced until all attempts at repair have been exhausted. If service insists on keeping your car overnight, or some other unspecified duration, insist on a Tesla loaner, at least equal in performance / trim level as your own.

I am located in oc, ca. My service center has been great to me they have been doing everything they can to resolve the problem. I’m more concerned tesla can’t figure out the problem… I’m really hoping the engineers can get back to my sa soon. If tesla is unable to resolve the problem should I pursue a buy back? Would I win? We love our car and that would be a last resort for us.
If they swap the computer and it doesn't fix it, it's not a hardware problem then as that would cover all the hardware components (make sure however if they go to the trouble of replacing the computer, they replace the cable to the usb port also).

In that case, it is a probably firmware problem which they will need to issue a software update (and you wouldn't be the only one to have it).

Reactions: android04
I think that in order to have Tesla do a buy-back your car would have to fall under the "lemon law". That's a warranty coverage issue that can't be solved in several (3? 4?) attempts. I would think that Tesla would do almost anything to avoid that, but it's just my opinion. Keep documentation on all of your service visits and the resulting response by the service department. You can certainly drop hints at your service appointments about your intention to follow through with a lemon return/rejection if things don't go your way but I subscribe to the philosophy that that course of action should not be announced until all attempts at repair have been exhausted. If service insists on keeping your car overnight, or some other unspecified duration, insist on a Tesla loaner, at least equal in performance / trim level as your own.
Too late I already mentioned to the sa that I would look into lemon law. The sa manager actually emailed me a form to request a buy back from tesla (This would be a last resort). I did advise that if this wasn’t resolved by February I would request a buy back. I really hope it doesn’t come to that.

If they swap the computer and it doesn't fix it, it's not a hardware problem then as that would cover all the hardware components (make sure however if they go to the trouble of replacing the computer, they replace the cable to the usb port also).

In that case, it is a probably firmware problem which they will need to issue a software update (and you wouldn't be the only one to have it).
It might be a firmware issue, if you look at the technicians notes he states it’s a known issue right now. I haven’t found anyone else that has had this problem. Replacing the glove compartment usually resolved the problem for others.

So interesting update the error message has been gone for 2 days now. This is the first time it’s been gone since owning my m3 for the last month. Could tesla push out a ota update to my car without telling me?
Have you updated your Tesla via ota recently? What's the car system version now? I have the same problem, and not sure whether to go to the service center or wait for OTA...

They said it only works w the USB 2.0 usb stick. I tried the original usb stick that it came with the car. So far, it has been about 2 days, it works ok.
Our 2022 M3 included a USB 3 stick. It has the blue core in the connector. My MB is old and lacks USB 3, and I’m ready to buy an expansion USB3 card thinking that this might be the issue, despite the only difference being speed. I’ve repeatedly formatted the card without fixing the issue. Trying it with a USB3 connection is kind of a desperation move . . .

Have you updated your Tesla via ota recently? What's the car system version now? I have the same problem, and not sure whether to go to the service center or wait for OTA...
I updated maybe 2-3 weeks ago but only recently the error message went away. Either tesla did a ota update to my car to fix the problem since I had a escalated case or the new glove box fixed this problem but it took a few days to kick in. My SA last said i was either gonna get a software update or new cpu. I’ll post a screen shot of the version I’m running later today.

So here’s my version.. My car is doing a update right now also… I didn’t approve the update so it’s automatic.

Attachments

• 53443A15-282C-4D6E-B4C0-AFC43AA5580B.jpeg
    53443A15-282C-4D6E-B4C0-AFC43AA5580B.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 96EF31AD-D6EE-4E57-8491-C5431C7F2947.jpeg
    96EF31AD-D6EE-4E57-8491-C5431C7F2947.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 114
Our 2022 M3 included a USB 3 stick. It has the blue core in the connector. My MB is old and lacks USB 3, and I’m ready to buy an expansion USB3 card thinking that this might be the issue, despite the only difference being speed. I’ve repeatedly formatted the card without fixing the issue. Trying it with a USB3 connection is kind of a desperation move . . .
can you provide feedback? what did try the USB3 connection?

I also bought a USB-C to USB-A cable. I tried it with the Sandisk drive. It worked for 2 weeks and I got the error one day (and that was the reason I scheduled the mobile service). I suspect there might be something wrong of the USB port, but so far I cannot proof it as the original USB stick is working fine with the Model 3.

Reactions: pikeman