Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unbundled "Ludicrous Mode" for S/X; will "Ludicrous" be available on M3 for a cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, Tesla changed their S/X offerings and aside from just offering a software locked 100D and unlocked 100D, they Unbundled the Ludicrous Mode from their P100D and now offer "Performance Mode" with and without Ludicrous.

Does anyone think Tesla may offer a Ludicrous Mode for the Performance Model 3 at a cost?

If they do, it should be the same price... $20K

The larger question is, will the performance without Ludicrous be the same as the old Insane mode?

I had originally envision that the

Model 3 Performance will be Insane Mode
Model S/X Performance will be Ludicrous
New Roadster will be Plaid Mode

Reactions: HAWX 12
Elon previously said 3 would get Ludicrous mode- but on the other hand the info we've got on the motors and battery suggest there's not a ton more performance to be had... (certainly not the 0.6 quicker it gets you on the S for example)

There's also the question given the new S/X model marketing- do they want the Lud 3 to be quicker than the non-Lud Performance S or not.... if not then they can't knock more than .2 off the P3.

If they're ok with that then maybe they can get the P3 down to 2.9? I suspect they will want a decent bit more data from the fleet on reliability before making that decision or setting a price for it.

The other factor will be where the competition comes in... the 0-60 for the new 500hp version of the M3 for example.

I put together this chart which helps visualize the price, milage and 0-60 difference.

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 8.05.16 AM.png

Excellent chart with 1 objection.

Tesla continues to deceptively use rollout times for P models, but not use them for non-P models.

Which means the real-life difference between the P and non-P for each product line is .2-.3 smaller than Teslas public figures (and your chart) actually are advertising.

The 3.5 on the P3 for example is the 'real' number, the 3.3 is number using rollout. Rollout numbers, as tested by road and track and members here with vbox, are more like 4.2-4.3 for the AWD and 4.8ish for LR RWD model 3 for example (though that ones not on the chart presumably because you can't order one anymore)... and I'm sure the S/X numbers are similarly skewed.

Nice chart! Can we not use the fake prices that include savings though? Let's not encourage them to keep doing that, it's pretty silly IMO.

EDIT: Looks like you just changed it!
Yup. For some reason I can't see the DELETE for my original message otherwise I would have deleted it. Thanks for catching the typo.

Model x Extended = 295mi, not 270.

Oops. Thanks for catching the typo. Going to post an updated version in a second.

Excellent chart with 1 objection.

Tesla continues to deceptively use rollout times for P models, but not use them for non-P models.

Which means the real-life difference between the P and non-P for each product line is .2-.3 smaller than Teslas public figures (and your chart) actually are advertising.

The 3.5 on the P3 for example is the 'real' number, the 3.3 is number using rollout. Rollout numbers, as tested by road and track and members here with vbox, are more like 4.2-4.3 for the AWD and 4.8ish for LR RWD model 3 for example (though that ones not on the chart presumably because you can't order one anymore)... and I'm sure the S/X numbers are similarly skewed.

All good points, but I'm just taking the timing from the www.tesla.com web site.

All good points, but I'm just taking the timing from the www.tesla.com web site.

Oh, I know- that's where they're being dishonest.

If you hunt around enough you can (or could) find their disclaimer about how they don't report P times the same way they do non-P times, in incredibly tiny and hard to find letters.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/p85d-specs-png.237053/

That's a screen shot of when it was a little easier to find the disclaimer in question pointing out the P numbers are measured differently.

And here's someone testing a Model 3 AWD with rollout-

AWD 4.55s 0-60, 4.26s w/ 1 foot rollout (VBOX Sport)

0.3 quicker 0-60 for Model 3 AWD if you count it like they do for the P3- which would put the "official" 4.5 tesla number down to 4.2.

Road and Track reported 4.8 for RWD LR that way too, which is also 0.3 quicker than official Tesla.

Last edited:

The larger question is, will the performance without Ludicrous be the same as the old Insane mode?

I'd love more performance, and i'd be willing to fork out for it. 5k...yes. 10k...maybe... Don't think i'd pay 20k for it. not worth dumping another 20k into the 'cheap tesla.'

Not sure how the 'larger question' has to do with being in line with SpaceBalls nomenclature, but if it's only going to be upgraded to 'insane,' i wouldn't spend a cent for it. i'd expect that as a free OTA update.

Before the recent changes, was Ludicrous included in the P100D models? Did they lower the price of P100D and then make Ludicrous a $20k Upgrade?

Excuse my ignorance on non-Model3 stuff, but is Ludicrous mode like track mode where it has to be enabled, or is it always on? The word “Mode” has me think it is, but if you’re not actually going to a drag strip, is the daily driving speed of an MS P100DL effectively the same as a MS P100D? If so, is this a Mode next Ron chill/normal or something more like Track Mode? Can/should you just leave it in Ludicrous all the time?

Just trying to familiarize myself. I might pay some for an uncorking that’s always on, but unless super cheap probably wouldn’t for a “Mode” unless it’s designated that Mode is safe to always have on (like chill mode).

I wonder how many people caught that one!? Lovin Elons Humor!
#DarkHelmet

Before the recent changes, was Ludicrous included in the P100D models? Did they lower the price of P100D and then make Ludicrous a $20k Upgrade?

Excuse my ignorance on non-Model3 stuff, but is Ludicrous mode like track mode where it has to be enabled, or is it always on? The word “Mode” has me think it is, but if you’re not actually going to a drag strip, is the daily driving speed of an MS P100DL effectively the same as a MS P100D? If so, is this a Mode next Ron chill/normal or something more like Track Mode? Can/should you just leave it in Ludicrous all the time?

Just trying to familiarize myself. I might pay some for an uncorking that’s always on, but unless super cheap probably wouldn’t for a “Mode” unless it’s designated that Mode is safe to always have on (like chill mode).

Ludicrous is a mode above Insane mode on the Model S (there was no insane mode on the Model X). It was enabled by purchasing the capability (which is software and some hardware if your Model S was equipped to handle Ludicrous).

Most Ludicrous owners keep it on all the time as that's how you get the full power of it.

There is also an Easter egg called Ludicrous + which gives you even more with the understanding that it puts additional stress on your battery and drive units which may reduce the life (but has no effect on your warranty).

It is Not an uncorking, but a feature that you must purchase.

It appear appear to the right of Chill, Sports and it's called Ludicrous.

Check out this video for more information on the Ludicrous + Easter egg =

Most Ludicrous owners keep it on all the time as that's how you get the full power of it.

There is also an Easter egg called Ludicrous + which gives you even more with the understanding that it puts additional stress on your battery and drive units which may reduce the life (but has no effect on your warranty).

I have ludicrous and have never driven the S P100D on the other modes. It use to be the entire point of buying a P100D - ludicrous mode was standard for P until now and unlike the car in the video, there is no “+” badge for ludicrous plus for 2018 just the underline under the p100d badge. I *think* the other modes are chill and sport but have never used them.

Another way to get into ludicrous plus aside from the Easter egg is to hold down the ludicrous button and then you’ll get these two choices:

1. Do you want your mommy? For cancel.

2. Bring it on!

Ludicrous Plus is like launch mode in other brands. 2.28 secs for 0 to 60 for the S. Basically the fastest 0 to 60 for all cars at this time including ICE super/Hypercars.

Elon promises a sub 2 sec 0 to 60 with the 2020 Roadster. The other car that promises to do this is the Rimac Concept 2 but that is a 4.5 million car.

Last edited:
I'd love more performance, and i'd be willing to fork out for it. 5k...yes. 10k...maybe... Don't think i'd pay 20k for it. not worth dumping another 20k into the 'cheap tesla.'

Not sure how the 'larger question' has to do with being in line with SpaceBalls nomenclature, but if it's only going to be upgraded to 'insane,' i wouldn't spend a cent for it. i'd expect that as a free OTA update.

I think I’d be ok up to $5k, but that’s likely my limit. I wish the P3D caused uncontrollable laughter like the P100D :(.

Reactions: Mayhem