Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla under $40k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you really mean to ask when could you expect to take delivery of a base Model 3? My guess would be mid 2018. But there might also be delays, so it could be late 2018.

Model X reveal to first non-sig delivery was 4 years (well, hopefully - they have 2 months for it to be 4 years. It's 50/50 odds of them making even that.).

The Model 3 hasn't even bean revealed yet. If it's revealed next month (which would be highly doubtful), it would put first real deliveries in 2020.

I'm betting founders editions in late 2020. Sigs in 2021.

The reveal is scheduled for March. There have been several good arguments for why it won't take as long as the Model X to go from reveal to delivery. Deonb is definitely sharing the pessimistic view.

My crystal ball puts deliveries in 2018. But getting down to $40k would probably be 2019 for any kind of volume.

The reveal is scheduled for March. There have been several good arguments for why it won't take as long as the Model X to go from reveal to delivery. Deonb is definitely sharing the pessimistic view.

My crystal ball puts deliveries in 2018. But getting down to $40k would probably be 2019 for any kind of volume.

I agree. Tesla faced lots of challenges after model S launch... was a small company and I think the delays were inevitable. Now Tesla is much bigger, have more experience and I'm sure they have learnt from past mistakes. I bet 2018 for deliveries and I think the build up ramp will be much faster... closer to a tradicional company (considering all new technologies involved).

Model X reveal to first non-sig delivery was 4 years (well, hopefully - they have 2 months for it to be 4 years. It's 50/50 odds of them making even that.).

The Model 3 hasn't even bean revealed yet. If it's revealed next month (which would be highly doubtful), it would put first real deliveries in 2020.

You're a Debbie downer bro.

Earliest 2019 based on Model X and Model S history. They don't even have a prototype everything is conceptual at this point. The other thing is the $35/$40k car will be a very basic car. Everything will be an option. A reasonably loaded car will be more like $55-60k or higher. Also it is doubtful the Federal Rebate of up to $7,500 probably will not be available on this car as if delayed to late 2018 or 2019 Tesla will have already reached 200,000 Model X and S available for rebate.

As another forum member said a used Model S may be a better option.

Hello - around when do you think Teslas will get under the 35k/40k mark in your opinion?
By 2019 they will probably have a base model with limited options at $35k-$40k with options for about $70-$75k. For example to be able to charge at a Tesla Charging station will probably remain a $2,000 option like it is now. So the options will quickly add up. The further you want to go between charges will increase the price.

thats a lot of misinformation. Elon has said no sigs.

The model 3 will be revealed next month.

While i agree keeping to the schedule is not TM's forte, you should not assume the M3 will follow even remotely the same timeline as the X, which Elon has admitted was over complicated in design. He has also said the 3 will be designed, unlike the S or X, with ease of manufacturing in mind.

The difference between a new ☰ or a CPO S is that there is no possibility of rebate on the CPO.
The rebate on ☰ really depends on the launch date and your place in the reservation pool. There is also an extremely high likelihood of a large reservation interest.
Of course, if you don't reserve one you guarantee that you can't get one :)
The other point about the rebate assuming its still available - even if your tax liability is less than $7500, you still get what ever that is. So if its $4500, you still get that credit which is better than nothing.